Tuskegee SERP information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cosenk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I didn't get accepted outright to Tuskegee this round, but I did get invited to enroll into SERP. I really have no idea what this means. Is this a good thing? I know it is better than a no, I guess. Is there anyone on here that has gone through this program that can give me some information? I was curious about tuition, what exactly I would be doing in the program, and what it means for my admission for the class of 2019. What type of living arrangements are there?

I can't decide if this is what I should do, because I'd pretty much have to leave my job for the small chance of being one of the top 4 candidates, and if I don't make it I probably won't have a job to come back to, and I assume I won't be able to work during this summer program. I am coming to SDN because the admissions office at TUSVM is being very vague about everything right now.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I interviewed last year [2014] & received a SERP invitation as well. Everything I'm about to tell you is my personal experience, & I know that under the new dean, SERP is being revamped this year's program may be different.

Firstly, SERP is where they put the applicants that they feel have strong potential but have a weak point in their application [low GPA, low GRE, etc]. Last year there was 30 of us & they did not tell us how many spots were available. I guess it depended partially on accepted students rejecting their seats. In the end, 8 of us got in, including myself.

It is a 6 week program in which the first 2 weeks are orientation courses & learning skill courses. The last 4 weeks you will be taking abbreviated veterinary courses [1st to 3rd year courses]. We took pre-tests to gauge our current knowledge before every subject. We'd have 2-4 days of lecture & then they'd administer a post-test to see our improvement & retention. We took up to 5+ of these courses concurrently within a week to see how we could handle the work load. We also gave 2 presentations on random veterinary topics. The ranking criteria & how it's weighed was never fully explained, but it was based on scores, test ranking, improvement between pre- & post-test, & behavioral observation.

I was accepted to Ross U., but Tuskegee was my first choice. I put down a deposit for Ross & then I competed in SERP. I got it to TUSVM, forfeited my seat & deposit at Ross & I'm happy I did so.

In the past, those that did well in SERP, but did not make it in that year, usually made it in the following year. Some of my SERPmates from last year have now been accepted for 2019.

All in all, in better prepared me in adjusting to vet school & I'm glad I did it. It was hard work but it gave me a realistic view of what it was going to be like.

Regarding housing, there's on campus housing available for SERP people but it's very expensive. If you accept your SERP invite, you will be in a google group where summer housing opportunities in Tuskegee & Auburn will be posted by current students that are renting out for the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
You won't be able to work during this summer program, & the possibility of not getting in & not having a job is a huge thing to consider. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm c/o 2017 and didn't participate in SERP, but I will add this: all of the students in my class that did SERP absolutely killed the first two anatomy tests and were basically tutoring the rest of us. It will make your life a bit easier transitioning into first year.

I posted in the other TU thread, but I've got housing available if anyone is interested.

You won't be able to work during this summer program, & the possibility of not getting in & not having a job is a huge thing to consider. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you so much! That information is very helpful. Do you have any advice on how to do well in SERP?

I'm c/o 2017 and didn't participate in SERP, but I will add this: all of the students in my class that did SERP absolutely killed the first two anatomy tests and were basically tutoring the rest of us. It will make your life a bit easier transitioning into first year.

I posted in the other TU thread, but I've got housing available if anyone is interested.
Yeah that's what I keep hearing. If I do happen to get through SERP and get in, I will be well prepared! I am still figuring out finances and work stuff, but what kind of housing/where is it?

I sent you an email about the housing!

I understand your situation concerning the financial side of it. I never had the luxury of unemployment during high school and undergrad. If you're not able to borrow money from a friend/family member, I would recommend maybe looking to a small loan from your bank or a credit union. My credit wasn't fantastic, but a few years ago I managed to get a $1000 "holiday loan" from a credit union that I used to pay for some dental work.

Reactions: 1 user
One more question, do you have any idea of what text books and other stuff I need to plan on purchasing?

All textbooks needed for SERP are provided. It's included in the cost.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi I'm doing the SERP program this summer and I was wondering if food was provided or did you have to purchase your own? I'm living off campus in a sub-leased apartment.