Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Tuskegee

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by BarkMeowKa, May 26, 2008.

1. BarkMeowKa

Pre-Veterinary
    Hello All,

I was wondering about Tuskegee's application process. I was looking at the website and could not find informations stating if they followed the VMCAS application method or if they had their own separate application. I have to say, their website was not helpful at all... it needs work. Thanks for your help.:)

2. lailanni

lailanni c/o 2012
    Veterinarian 10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    I totally agree with you, their website is absolutely terrible. Possibly the worst of all vet schools I looked at.

I had half a mind to apply there but I couldn't figure out how.

I know there are some SDN people who have gotten in there. You may want to check the 2012 acceptances thread and PM them.

3. pressmom

pressmom Third year!
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I know loo is going there. Maybe she'll chime in. I know they don't do VMCAS, though.

4. LVT2DVM

LVT2DVM UGA-CVM c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
  5. loo

loo Always Sleepy
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Here is the link again:

http://tuskegee.images.worldnow.com/images/incoming/bulletin/CVMNAH/cvmnah.pdf

They are working on the website issue.

TU has its own application and does not participate in VMCAS. The online application website should be up and running once this years' class starts. Keep checking back. I am not sure if they will accept paper applications this year. You will need to apply online. You must take the GRE or MCAT. The VCAT is no longer in existence.

TU does not have a lot of extra staff to field the flood of emails and phone calls, so you will need to be patient...and polite. I guess this advice is applicable to all the vet colleges, whether they participate in VMCAS or not.

6. Enomis

Enomis TUSVM 2013
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Thanks so much for this thread! I had a hard time myself looking for information..

7. LucyLoo

LucyLoo LucyLoo
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Hey Loo,

Did they ever tell you why they only charge 12K per year as opposed to the other schools that charge of minimum of 30K OOS? Just curious, thanks!

8. loo

loo Always Sleepy
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Nope. I never look a gift horse in the mouth. ;)

In all seriousness, tuition is 12,000+ per semester and will, undoubtedly, rise. Add to that books, fees, rent, etc. and you're looking at 40 grand easy (or not, depending on how cheaply you can live) for OOS.

Tuskegee is a HBCU which strives to keep the cost of tuition reasonable for their students. Also, bear in mind that TU is NOT a land-grant institution (like our neighbors up the road, Auburn) and a significant amount of their money comes from private donations. The downside to that is that they don't have a lot of extra money for expensive clinical "toys", facilities expansion, large classes etc.

9. LucyLoo

LucyLoo LucyLoo
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Thanks, that makes sense. The way they have it quoted in all the literature makes it sound like 12K/year...kinda misleading. But per semester sounds more likely. But hey, either way you're going to vet school, right! :)

10. LVT2DVM

LVT2DVM UGA-CVM c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Anyone know if TU grants waivers for "older" science courses. I'm gonna call but I just wanted to ask here first.

11. sms25

sms25 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
  12. rachroo

rachroo OSU CVM c/o 2013
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
  13. HarryMonster

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    All of my experiences with Tuskegee were terrible. They never picked up the phone or returned calls or e-mails. Their prerequisites are confusing (gym?). I had to have a current student there hand-deliver a letter from me (that I had e-mailed to her) to the admissions office in order to get an application. The paper application that they sent me said that it had to all be typed (I went so far as to use my sister's old typewriter) with the exception of a hand-written essay (completely backwards). After mailing everything in, I got a call on Christmas Eve saying that I had to fill in the online application, which I never even knew existed. :mad: Why would they send me a paper application if there was one online? I looked at it and it was the EXACT same information, and after going back and forth with the guy who called me, I came to the conclusion that it all had to be filled out (he was really confusing...saying that I could skip some sections, and then the next minute telling me I had to redo it all....don't you have it on file already???). I sent it in, but came out of it really aggravated. I got an e-mail offering an interview, and when I picked a date they sent back a reply that said, "okay, see you then!" Um...where exactly? What time? Absolutely no information was provided except a date. I was directed to another website that was completely useless. The only link I thought could possibly apply to me came up with an error when I tried to click on it.

As soon as I was accepted to my first school, I cancelled my interview immediately.

I'm sure the students there are lovely, and I mean no disrespect to them, but the school is utterly disorganized. I would never go there, even if it was the only school I got into. :thumbdown: I applied before I knew all of this.

14. MSDVM12

Pre-Veterinary
    I haven't been on the network in a while but I just had to reply to the post. Before you even apply to ANY vet school make sure it's the right fit for YOU. I applied to Tuskegee and my in state school Tufts, and got accepted to both. I'm going to Tuskegee beacause I went there for undergrad, most of my mentors went there and they graduate 60% of all African American vets. Pretty good stats for a school with very little money. Alot of people on this network are into big name schools and come out with even bigger debt. It wasn't about getting in for me it's about making it out of vet school. Someone made the comment they wouldn't go even if it was the only school they got accepted to. My biggest question is Why did you even waist your time and administrations' time applying? I can't wait to start vet school at MY number one choice. I have had alot of contact with Tuft graduates at Angell Memorial medical center and that's another reason why I chose Tuskegee. Go TU!!!!:thumbup:

15. loo

loo Always Sleepy
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    I heartily agree...You should choose a school that "fits" you! My number one reason for choosing TU was that the student body is diverse; i.e. representative of a broad spectrum of cultures.

16. mdnghtdnc

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I applied to Tuskegee and was accepted. I however am going to attend Western because I am excited about the PBL program. It is a better fit for me. If Tuskegee had more PBL I would have choosen it instead. All of my research as indicated that it is a pretty good school.... now this is coming from a person that did not apply to schools like Cornell, or Tufts. My main point here is DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!!

17. alliecat44

alliecat44 KSU CVM Class of '11
    Moderator Emeritus Veterinarian 5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    I could be wrong and it's probably none of my business, but I don't think any of the reasons quoted for not choosing Tuskegee had to do with someone "not doing their homework." Obviously there was a reason why these folks chose to apply there and significant efforts were made to gain more information and to apply. The way I read the posts, it's not a question of whether or not the posters "did their homework" or "chose the right school for them." Rather the posters were turned off by the way the administration dealt with the applicants/application process (specifically in a confusing/inefficient manner) and were extrapolating that to potential dealings with the administration during one's veterinary education. I think that's a very valid reason for shying away from a school. Your mileage with a school may vary, though, and choosing to attend a particular school is dependent on individual experiences with a school's administration as well as assigning your own personal weight to the different pros/cons of various schools.

I just don't think it's appropriate to criticize those posting their experiences/why they were turned off from Tuskegee. They're sharing their experiences which again may vary from individual to individual, but I don't see anything here that implies anyone "didn't do their homework."

It's also good to hear why people HAVE chosen Tuskegee. :) We're all here to present both sides and give helpful info to future applicants, after all!

18. BrumleyVet

BrumleyVet Oldie but a wanna be!
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I have tried this site a few times trying to get a list of their pre-req's. Do they not have a listing? There must be an easier way!

19. LucyLoo

LucyLoo LucyLoo
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
  20. loo

loo Always Sleepy
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    I think what the poster meant by "doing your homework" was a generic statement for all folks looking at vet schools to look at the nitty-gritty of the individual schools' program. Some schools use traditional lecture while some incorporate more PBL. Some schools have more emphasis on large animal vs. small animal within the DVM curriculum. Some schools "track" while others don't. Etc., etc., etc.

21. mstweetie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    hi all! I am applying to tuskegee as well and was wondering if anyone can help me with the online application. thank you for this thread! you all have been extremely helpful!

In the pre-req section, what does the "QUAL PT" column numbers represent?

Also, is anyone having trouble with having minimal lines available to list activities, work, etc.? I'm just entering down and typing in the additional info but it's just frustrating b/c i can't see the section as a whole :/ ESPECIALLY in the "others" section of the pre-reqs where you enter in other electives... i just want to make sure everything lines up but i can't see it! Anyone having the same prob's, or any tips?

thanks!

22. mdnghtdnc

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    This is exactly what I was getting at. A lot of students just apply to schools without really looking into everything about them.

Sorry, I can not help you.... I was able to do the paper application last year. It sounds like it was much simpiliar than the online version, but I think they upgraded and you must apply online this year. Good luck!

23. LucyLoo

LucyLoo LucyLoo
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary

From what I heard from loo, the online app isn't up and running until this year's class has started. They sound pretty short staffed.

24. alliecat44

alliecat44 KSU CVM Class of '11
    Moderator Emeritus Veterinarian 5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Which is quite valid and I completely agree with you. However, in the context of the thread, it seemed as though this was in response to a poster saying that they wouldn't go there even if it was the only school they were accepted--AFTER the applicant's experience with a seemingly-disorganized admissions office. NOT because the applicant didn't do their homework.

Sorry for the confusion--hopefully in context you can see what I was getting at. :)

25. loo

loo Always Sleepy
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    mstweetie-
    I had some issues with the software last year and ended up using the paper application. I would advise you to email the admissions office (NOT the general email--look up individual admissions staff email addresses in the "faculty/staff" section) and cc the IT department for any issues you may have...

Make copies of everything!

Hope this helps!

#25 loo, Jun 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  26. mstweetie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Thanks guys! i'll try seeing if I can get a paper application mailed out to me. They just need to revise the online app and add more spaces or a scroll bar on the side for some sections, but other than that it was ok. I believe someone said that the online app that is up and running is for this application cycle (although it does say "2007") on the first page. ???? :rolleyes:

27. BrumleyVet

BrumleyVet Oldie but a wanna be!
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Thanks LucyLoo! I thought I had suddenly become a computer idiot.