TV and Movie Anesthesia Errors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you see "Coma"? You'd be pleased with the use of eye tape.

I am writing it up now.

There were 2 OR scenes in the movie, and in only one of them they use eye tape.

Members don't see this ad.

That new docudrama NY Med had a pt receiving a MV repair by Dr. Oz. Scene shows all cannulas in place and pt on bypass. Cuts to behind the drape where the pt is being mask ventilated. Impressive anesthesia. Clearly a spliced segment from the beginning of the case.

Read the script for Do No Harm last night. New jeckyl and Hyde themed med show set in Boston (of course as that's where Harvard med is and all amazing doctors). The OP is going to have his hands full once this baby premiere this fall. ;-)

D712

Members don't see this ad :)
Read the script for Do No Harm last night. New jeckyl and Hyde themed med show set in Boston (of course as that's where Harvard med is and all amazing doctors). The OP is going to have his hands full once this baby premiere this fall. ;-)

D712

I will keep an eye out for that one.

I have been live tweeting The Mob Doctor. Its been alot of fun. I will try to keep it up.

The premiere of Grey's is this Thursday. I tried to catch up, but dammit is it hard to watch that show. I only made it to season 3.

The Mindy Project is about an OB/GYN. I will look into that as well.

I'm almost done with the Coma write up.

IlD,

I'm working on an hour long drama script for a show everyone here would really really love. i.e. revolves around anesthesia. Will keep you posted. And if it gets onto air -- rest assured, medical error free. I'll have some great anesthesia consultants. :D

D712

There was a movie from the mid 1990s called "the Paper" about a NY tabloid. There was a small part that actually had an anesthesiologist playing an anesthesiologist. He was doing a rapid preop for a stat Csection. I was struck at the time about how accurate the portrayal was. I found out later that the actor really was an anesthesiologist. It was a very small part of the movie. But it was the only time that I have ever seen the field of anesthesia accurately portrayed.

There was a movie from the mid 1990s called "the Paper" about a NY tabloid. There was a small part that actually had an anesthesiologist playing an anesthesiologist. He was doing a rapid preop for a stat Csection. I was struck at the time about how accurate the portrayal was. I found out later that the actor really was an anesthesiologist. It was a very small part of the movie. But it was the only time that I have ever seen the field of anesthesia accurately portrayed.

I remember the movie. I think Michael Keaton was in it. I'll check it out. Thanks!

I will keep an eye out for that one.

I have been live tweeting The Mob Doctor. Its been alot of fun. I will try to keep it up.

The premiere of Grey's is this Thursday. I tried to catch up, but dammit is it hard to watch that show. I only made it to season 3.

The Mindy Project is about an OB/GYN. I will look into that as well.

I'm almost done with the Coma write up.

I have to check out the mob doctor tweeting, interesting. i only watched the pilot and am curious to see what you picked up. :)

D712

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone watching "Emily Owens MD"? It is God awful. Its trying to be Scrubs, but with girls.

So, basically HawthoRNe?

Will Smith's wife can't act worth poopy! RN drama was horrible.

Homeland went to the hospital last night. Not sure I saw any errors. Was quick, no surgery. Just a patient in ICU. But if you can find something...

Also, St. Elsewhere, watched the pilot last night. Boy, what a show. That CLASSIC show would keep you busy for years.

Strong work, continued success!
D712

I watched Homeland last night too. There wasn't too much to dissect.

Well, there was TONS to dissect, just none of it medically related. Such an amazing show.

:)

Have you seen the new Jeckyl and Hyde med show? Not sure if it's on the air yet, but the pilot script was chock full or errors and...just generally speaking culture of hospital mistakes.

As for me, I'm writing a medical pilot, hour long, and have snagged my mentor to provide me with error free situations and answers for those spots where I have NO clue whether to use a non-depolarizer or a depolarizer! : ) Last thing I want is to end up on HollywoodAnesthesia's site for anything other than honorable mention!!!!! The crux of this series will make many of you very happy to see your profession shed in such a light!!!! Of this, you can guarantee it. :thumbup::thumbup: Alright, that's enough of a teaser. :)

D712

Have you ever seen the 70s tv series Medical Center with Chad Everett. Tons of interesting medical things to observe in that show (I'm currently watching Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD), namely

1) staying in the hospital for several days to do a physical and run tests
2) during surgery, the anesthesiologist manually checks the blood pressure (no automated cuffs)
3) cardiac monitors that look like this
34439lz.jpg

4) glass IV bottles and syringes
5) digital theronmeter box the size of a tape recorder

And here's a capture of an anesthesia scene from the 70s for you to dissect.
2cep7w3.jpg

And here's a capture of an anesthesia scene from the 70s for you to dissect.
2cep7w3.jpg

I've seen worse. The tube is in the right location, it actually has tape on it, and it's actually connected to something.

I will have to start doing Mob Doctor live tweets again. I didn't know that people were enjoying them. That show is so bad I couldn't bring myself to turn it on again.

I have heard about the Medical Center show, but never looked into watching it. I've been neglecting the blog lately due to work and personal stresses. I will be sure to do Grey's tonight and catch up on Emily Owens.

I would catch up with the Mob Doctor, but its just too painful.

I will have to start doing Mob Doctor live tweets again. I didn't know that people were enjoying them. That show is so bad I couldn't bring myself to turn it on again.

I have heard about the Medical Center show, but never looked into watching it. I've been neglecting the blog lately due to work and personal stresses. I will be sure to do Grey's tonight and catch up on Emily Owens.

I would catch up with the Mob Doctor, but its just too painful.
Definitely much needed.

This week the chief of surgery and one of his residents performed neurosurgery on a patient with a hydatid cyst. Definitely didn't know that was part of the General Surgery job descriptions.

If anybody is interested, theres a new show by David E Kelley called Monday Mornings that premiered yesterday. Its based on the book with the same name by Sanjay Gupta and I personally felt it was pretty well done.

I watched the 1st episode so far. kinda depressing stories so far, but wow, the ORs are blindingly white! Is anyone's OR that bright in real life?

I haven't posted here in a while.

I have recapped most of this season's Grey's Anatomy episodes.
Once that is over, I will go back and do Monday Mornings.

Learning how to manage a blog is 10X that putting someone to sleep. Thanks for all of the people that read my stuff from here.

The Grey's Anatomy finale is in 1 hour. I will be live tweeting all of the errors I see, and hopefully starting some arguments with some teenage girls.

The website is www.hollywoodanesthesia.com

My twitter handle is @hollywoodanesth

Now that GA is coming to a close, I will need some more things to dissect in its absence. Do you guys have any suggestions?

This really was not an error but it scared the S!@# out of me when I saw it. Their is a new scary movie out there cannot remember the name. But this girl is looking in her throat with a flashlight in the mirror. Her airway is a textbook Mallampati 1 then emerging from around her uvula two fingers peer out. Scary as heck.

Plenty of scary movies I have watched but not able to remember this one. Do you exact name of the movie I would love to see it this weekend:naughty::naughty:

How about "Something the Lord Made," starring Mos Def and Alan Rickman? This movie is based on a true story at the Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Somebody already did that.
http://www.politedissent.com/house_pd.html

I think my next movie will be "Something The Lord Made" I haven't seen it in a while.

I didn't see M*A*S*H on your show...awesome show, but I don't even remember an anesthesiologist being there (not that I would have complained when they sent me to Ass-crackistan if they decided a nurse could do it all instead).

I have been making it through MASH. I got an instagram account where I take stills from shows that I'm not going to recap. I will start putting more up there.

Not about a specific show, but I always find these 3 hilarious:

-An anesthesia mask placed upside-down. Aka, with the nose of the mask over the person's chin. :smack: Anyone with basic medical knowledge should be able to tell which way is up. (Sometimes, I think this is done on purpose by a film crew that wants to mess with people's heads)
-When someone is using an ambu bag, and they are clearly holding the mask an inch above the (supposedly) unconscious person's face. :rolleyes: At least pick a different camera angle. Or get a good seal for the few seconds you are filming that angle. Let's put in some effort, people!
-Chest compressions that involve the elbows bending and the chest being compressed about 1/8th of an inch. :bang: If you're going to resuscitate someone on your ER show, at least put in the effort to make it look believable. Sheesh.

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

I didn't see M*A*S*H on your show...awesome show, but I don't even remember an anesthesiologist being there (not that I would have complained when they sent me to Ass-crackistan if they decided a nurse could do it all instead).

They had an anesthesiologist, ugly John. He was an Aussie. First couple seasons. Character didn't last.

Check out the most recent episode of Hostages. It's about a doctor who's family is taken hostage to force her to kill the president who she's supposed to operate on.

This week's episode had her pulling out an AED, an IV bag and a full trauma kit (not sure about sterility) from a handbag which she carries around at home. And it only gets better (worse?) from there.

Oh and she also uses that butterfly IV, which TV shows seem to love for whatever reason.

I have been trying to watch it. It is so dreadful.

Thanks for the tip

If anybody is interested, theres a new show by David E Kelley called Monday Mornings that premiered yesterday. Its based on the book with the same name by Sanjay Gupta and I personally felt it was pretty well done.

I watched this show when it still aired. It seemed...okay but I felt it was a show geared toward doctors to chastize them for the stereotypical behaviors the public perceives about doctors. By the end of the short-lived series I hard every single cast member, and that's sad because I usually like Ving Rhames' characters. I couldn't get over Mr. noodle from Elmo's world being an OCD ahole. So glad that it was cancelled.