ndi_amaka

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
656
0
Status (Visible)
My dream job would be working as a news health reporter or a tv host for a daily/weekly show. Something along the lines of what Dr. Drew (Love Line) or Dr. Gupta (CNN reporter) does.

What career steps should one consider in order to pursue such a thing?
 

darkcity998

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2003
207
0
Status (Visible)
That's my dream job too :D ! I'm looking into some summer programs for medical communications. I know Tufts has a combined degree in this.
 
About the Ads

ndi_amaka

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
656
0
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by darkcity998
That's my dream job too :D ! I'm looking into some summer programs for medical communications. I know Tufts has a combined degree in this.

oh so they have studies for this?? Cool, thing.
 

ndi_amaka

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
656
0
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Lochmoor
Is Dr. Drew an MD or is he psychologist? If he is an MD, anyone know where he went?

He's an MD....and thus far he's on Who wants to be a (ten) millionaire as one of the wise men....(although one of those men is a very very ugly woman).
 

gschl1234

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2003
1,016
14
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by Lochmoor
Is Dr. Drew an MD or is he psychologist? If he is an MD, anyone know where he went?

I googled Dr. Drew:

"After receiving his undergraduate degree from Amherst College and his M.D. from the USC School of Medicine, Dr. Drew was eventually awarded the position of Chief Resident at a USC facility. Both a board-certified internist and addictionologist, Dr. Drew is also the Medical Director of the Department of Chemical Dependency Services at Pasadena?s Las Encinas Hospital and the Chief of Service in the Department of Medicine. In addition, Dr. Drew is the past President of the Pasadena Medical Society and the former editor of the Los Angeles County Medical Association magazine."

http://www.westwoodone.com/talk_loveline_bios.htm
 

gschl1234

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2003
1,016
14
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by ndi_amaka
My dream job would be working as a news health reporter or a tv host for a daily/weekly show. Something along the lines of what Dr. Drew (Love Line) or Dr. Gupta (CNN reporter) does.

What career steps should one consider in order to pursue such a thing?

My dream part-time job would be to have a weekly radio show like Zorba Paster on NPR. I have been a huge fan of NPR and PRI ever since high school and would love to be part of their organization. I think the one thing I would change is either get rid of the "funny" guy or get someone who's a little more original with his jokes. I'm not sure whether I don't find him (Tom Clark) funny because of a generation gap or because he's really just lame. He sounds like a very nice person, though. I know that the show is not widely syndicated but has anyone else ever caught it? My public radio station airs it on Sunday afternoons and since it's a call-in, I suppose (unless for some strange reason they put it on tape-delay) that's when everyone else gets it if their public station subscribes.
 

#41

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2003
43
0
Wisconsin
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I also enjoy listening to Zorba. The only thing that sucks about the show are Tom Clark's lame remarks and the recipes.
 

gschl1234

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2003
1,016
14
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by #41
I also enjoy listening to Zorba. The only thing that sucks about the show are Tom Clark's lame remarks and the recipes.

Hey, I'm glad I'm not the only one annoyed by Tom! I like the recipes, though. I haven't actually tried but I may try the salmon by microwave recipe given a few weeks ago. It sounds like an interesting idea and would be a great time saver if it actually tastes well.
 

ndi_amaka

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
656
0
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by gschl1234
My dream part-time job would be to have a weekly radio show like Zorba Paster on NPR. I have been a huge fan of NPR and PRI ever since high school and would love to be part of their organization. I think the one thing I would change is either get rid of the "funny" guy or get someone who's a little more original with his jokes. I'm not sure whether I don't find him (Tom Clark) funny because of a generation gap or because he's really just lame. He sounds like a very nice person, though. I know that the show is not widely syndicated but has anyone else ever caught it? My public radio station airs it on Sunday afternoons and since it's a call-in, I suppose (unless for some strange reason they put it on tape-delay) that's when everyone else gets it if their public station subscribes.

My dream job would be working on a show like the View. Working on fun news topics (although I dunno how much house decorating counts as news) and getting paid to give my opinion!
 

SoulRFlare

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
658
3
Ohio
Status (Visible)
you'd think that more medical schools would want offer the medical communications degree. There seems to be a greater emphasis placed on public health these days (or at least at my potential future school), and combining medicine and the media represents an incredible opportunity to reach people. after all, some might argue that the media is partly responsible for our McDonlands gobbling, corn syrup guzzling, largely sedentary society in the first place.
 

FowlersGap

The Original Knight Rider
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 4, 2003
339
0
Huntington Beach, California
Status (Visible)
this is something i'm definitely interested in as well

if anyone else has any advice please let us know!

anyone else have ideas about how to integrate both journalism and medicine

i'm gonna take the med school then maybe j school route; i have a friend doing the opposite

but who knows what will happen in the future;
 

gschl1234

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2003
1,016
14
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Has anyone noticed that Joe Wright (I think he's M1 at Harvard) has commentaries about medical school periodically on NPR? His essays are always insightful and interesting to hear. I wonder how he got into radio broadcasting.
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.