Two application cycles, no acceptances, bad post bac, what next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1102497

I'm in some desperate need of advice. This is my second application cycle, and while I'm on 2 waitlists, it's not looking good. I am finishing up a dental post bac program but didn't do well in it, so I'm not sure what I should do next. My stats look something like:

Undergrad GPA: 3.5
Undergrad BCP GPA: 3.3
Post Bac GPA: 3.0
DAT: 19 AA (took twice, 19 both times)
Tons of volunteering and shadowing hours, 2 years assisting in 3 different locations, leadership positions in undergrad
First application cycle: 3 interviews, 1 waitlist turned post bac offer
Second application cycle: 2 interviews, 2 waitlist

So, my first step is to retake the DAT. I'm pretty confident that I can bump it up to at least a 20, probably up to a 21 or 22. However, I'm wondering if I need to do a masters since my post bac GPA is so bad. It will take down my GPA to around a 3.45, and my BCP GPA will be even lower. I'm sure doing poorly in my most recent year of schooling is going to be a red flag on applications, but is it so bad I need to do another year of school, or if I just nail the DAT and get an assisting job, do I stand a chance at consideration?

I'd rather skip a masters if possible because I'm a bit burned out and broke, but I also want my third application cycle to be my last application cycle. If I don't make it in this time, I'll have to start considering other options, which kills me because I love dentistry and know I would kill it if I just got the chance.

Also, if anyone can give me a pep talk on getting in on your 3rd try/at an older age please feel free, I could use it.

Members don't see this ad.

In all honesty that post-bacc is a sore spot, with your GPAs you didn't even need to do it but I get why you did it since they offered you the spot. Did that same school waitlist you again this time around? A masters comes with the possibility that you may not do well and hurt your chances further, tbh I would focus on retaking the DAT but you HAVE to get above a 20 this time around (preferably 22+) to take some of the negative signs surrounding your GPA due to that post-bacc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
In all honesty that post-bacc is a sore spot, with your GPAs you didn't even need to do it but I get why you did it since they offered you the spot. Did that same school waitlist you again this time around? A masters comes with the possibility that you may not do well and hurt your chances further, tbh I would focus on retaking the DAT but you HAVE to get above a 20 this time around (preferably 22+) to take some of the negative signs surrounding your GPA due to that post-bacc.
Yeah, I'm currently waitlisted at that school again. I'm super frustrated that I did the post bacc because I think if I hadn't, I could have gotten a 20+ on the DAT and gotten in for this year. Now it kinda bombed my chances. I think if I did a masters I would do better for sure, so if it's necessary I will, but I really would rather not.

Members don't see this ad :)
agree with everything said here. What happened with your post-bacc? Was it too difficult or you simply did not commit enough time to the program? Whatever happened, don’t do that with the DAT.

the 21-22 cycle opens up soon. you don’t have much time. If you start ASAP (plan a schedule today, purchase materials, and start tomorrow) and study diligently for 10-12 weeks, you can realistically submit your application by mid July. Not that bad. Anything in august and beyond starts approaching late status. But you have to be sure you can achieve a 21+, ideally 22+.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I'm currently waitlisted at that school again. I'm super frustrated that I did the post bacc because I think if I hadn't, I could have gotten a 20+ on the DAT and gotten in for this year. Now it kinda bombed my chances. I think if I did a masters I would do better for sure, so if it's necessary I will, but I really would rather not.
Hm, how many credits have you taken during the post-bacc?

agree with everything said here. What happened with your post-bacc? Was it too difficult or you simply did not commit enough time to the program? Whatever happened, don’t do that with the DAT.

the 21-22 cycle opens up soon. you don’t have much time. If you start ASAP (plan a schedule today, purchase materials, and start tomorrow) and study diligently for 10-12 weeks, you can realistically submit your application by mid July. Not that bad. Anything in august and beyond starts approaching late status. But you have to be sure you can achieve a 21+, ideally 22+.
My biggest issue with the post bac was health issues. I should have withdrawn but tried to push through because I'm stubborn. I definitely won't do it with the DAT. I think I'll be able to get my apps in my early/mid July.

My biggest issue with the post bac was health issues. I should have withdrawn but tried to push through because I'm stubborn. I definitely won't do it with the DAT. I think I'll be able to get my apps in my early/mid July.
Submit the app in June and take the DAT in July, if you get a great score 22+ I think you’ll have a good shot at getting into a school. Make sure you apply broadly as well

Reactions: 1 user
as @cplz🦷 said, submit as early as you can so you don’t have to wait an additional week or two for your application to get verified. You’ll probably have to apply with your old score in this case but by the time AdComs look at your app, hopefully your new scores are in. I’ve read that if you indicate that you haven’t taken the DAT or are planning to retake it, adcoms will hold off on reviewing your application until the scores are in but I don’t know how true this is. Anyways, it sounds like you have a plan and know what to do so that’s good

as @cplz🦷 said, submit as early as you can so you don’t have to wait an additional week or two for your application to get verified. You’ll probably have to apply with your old score in this case but by the time AdComs look at your app, hopefully your new scores are in. I’ve read that if you indicate that you haven’t taken the DAT or are planning to retake it, adcoms will hold off on reviewing your application until the scores are in but I don’t know how true this is. Anyways, it sounds like you have a plan and know what to do so that’s good
Yeah this cycle I was planning on retaking the DAT and made that clear in the app. Every school I applied to notified me that they were waiting to review the app until the new scores were sent in, so you should be good on that front.

I'm definitely going to nail the DAT, but I'm still worried the post bacc grades will hold me back. I'm going to hold off on a masters at the moment, maybe just take a few courses on the side though.

what are you using for DAT studying? maybe you mentioned this but how many schools did you apply to?

what are you using for DAT studying? maybe you mentioned this but how many schools did you apply to?
Right now I'm doing a week of review on my weak topics, bio and o chem, with Cliffs AP Bio 5th Edition and Organic Chemistry as a Second Language just to brush up. Then I'm going to use bootcamp following Ari's schedule, maybe supplement with destroyer. I applied to 15 schools.

Okay, not sure if that's the same strategy as before but I definitely recommend Chads videos for Chemistry and then moving onto the destroyer after getting the basic foundation set. Also master all the reactions. The destroyer is what will help you get those high scores. Especially if you truly master those books. (I went through the Dat destroyer 4 or 5 times) For biology, use Dr. Romano's Dynamite biology and the free bootcamp bio notes. Repetition, Repetition, repetition. I think i went through each 3-5 times. Go through each like 3 times until you know what the next bio topic is before you even scroll on. QR - math destroyer and Dr. Romano's YouTube videos. Actually watch all of Romano's YouTube videos for every subject. I didn't do anything for Reading comprehension personally... Other then the bootcamp bio notes, i didn't touch it that resource. I did this while working full time. I liked to wake up around 5:45 or 6 and just review biology on my computer before starting my day..easy to just read over and over.. didn't have to work out any complicated math or write anything down. then after work I would work on chemistry and then math and pat here and there.... sorry if this is confusing or hard to comprehend, I'm just typing out all my thoughts lol

Did you cast a wide net? I have friends who got in with similar stats, a slight downward trend, and less experience hours than you but were willing to move across the country.
Wide net, but I'm missing some prereqs that limit my options (anatomy and phys, microbio). I'm thinking of taking them in the Fall to expand my application pool.

Edit: Can you tell me more about your friends with downward trends? Were they asked about it?

Okay, not sure if that's the same strategy as before but I definitely recommend Chads videos for Chemistry and then moving onto the destroyer after getting the basic foundation set. Also master all the reactions. The destroyer is what will help you get those high scores. Especially if you truly master those books. (I went through the Dat destroyer 4 or 5 times) For biology, use Dr. Romano's Dynamite biology and the free bootcamp bio notes. Repetition, Repetition, repetition. I think i went through each 3-5 times. Go through each like 3 times until you know what the next bio topic is before you even scroll on. QR - math destroyer and Dr. Romano's YouTube videos. Actually watch all of Romano's YouTube videos for every subject. I didn't do anything for Reading comprehension personally... Other then the bootcamp bio notes, i didn't touch it that resource. I did this while working full time. I liked to wake up around 5:45 or 6 and just review biology on my computer before starting my day..easy to just read over and over.. didn't have to work out any complicated math or write anything down. then after work I would work on chemistry and then math and pat here and there.... sorry if this is confusing or hard to comprehend, I'm just typing out all my thoughts lol
I'm confused about Destroyer, is it like a textbook/notes or is it just practice problems?

On my last DAT I got a 20 Gen Chem, 20 QR, and 23 Reading, so I'm going to brush up on those sections a bit and hope to improve but I'm not as worried. PAT, Bio, and O Chem are my main focus.

I'm confused about Destroyer, is it like a textbook/notes or is it just practice problems?

On my last DAT I got a 20 Gen Chem, 20 QR, and 23 Reading, so I'm going to brush up on those sections a bit and hope to improve but I'm not as worried. PAT, Bio, and O Chem are my main focus.
The DAT destroyer is like 400+ practice problems for each section and then the back has the explanations. the questions range from pretty easy to pretty difficult multi-step questions that integrate a few different things you need to know for the DAT. As you know the dat is pretty simple one step type of questions so the Destroyer really sets you up for success. If you already got decent numbers before then I’d invest in the destroyer since it’ll hit those more difficult questions that will really reinforce that knowledge. Biology really is just repetition. review the dynamite bio and boot camp bio and you’ll be gold. Both of those pretty much have the same info but also have some odds topics here and there. Shoot to go through each 3 times and if you don’t know it by then, then I’m not sure what else you can do lol destroyer also has a bunch of bio questions to reinforce those topics as well