Two Doctors Meet - Annals of Int. Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arcus

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A teachable moment....

Two Doctors Meet

The doctor walked out of one of his clinic rooms and told his nurse he thought he was having a stroke. By the time I saw him, he was nonverbal, globally aphasic, unable to move his right side, his brain filling with rapidly expanding hemorrhage. He didn't understand what I was asking him to do. He couldn't tell me what he was feeling, but he recognized my white coat. He recognized the tone in my voice. He recognized the expression on my face. He took my hand in his left hand and repeatedly squeezed it and looked me right in the eyes. There was a moment of connection. A moment where two people know what the other is thinking and feeling without a word passing between them. He knew this was bad. He knew I knew this was bad. He knew I was trying to help, but he knew that there wasn't much I could do. He was scared but also strong and courageous. He knew the situation and knew the likely outcome, and he was telling me that it was OK if it ended that way. That he knew I cared. It was a moment of peace. A man facing death, both afraid and aware. A man who was looking for that human connection. A man who had cared for others and comforted others his whole life was trying to comfort me while I tried to care for and comfort him.

The next morning that connection wasn't there. The light had gone out. His family knew. He had been the local small town doctor taking care of everyone for 30 years. He would not want to stop being able to care for others. I told them about the moment we had, and we cried. “It is what it is,” they said. He said it all the time. He was letting me know he was accepting his fate.

So we cared for him. We made him comfortable. He was not physically with us long, but his memory will be with me the rest of my life.

Sarah Parker, MD
Knoxville, Tennessee

Parker S. Two Doctors Meet. Ann Intern Med. 2018;168:160. doi: 10.7326/M17-1284

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
You’ll have to excuse me there’s something in my eye

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is very, very rare that something on SDN will move me to tears. Many thanks for sharing.

Articles like these keep it real. As we pursue our goals to be extraordinary physicians, the sacrifice, the hassles, the bullchips, the broken educational, broken medical, broken American spirit ...they all take a back seat to the reminder that life is precious. We are lucky sons of beaches to be on this awesome journey.

Glad you and others appreciated it.

Reactions: 1 user
What really gets to me, is that this doctor’s last moments of “being there...” were just moments of just another day, with just another colleague :’(