This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whizatphys

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-

I've recently connected with a handful of medical students on the fence regarding their medical education and it led me to revisiting the YouTube video I posted on here just two weeks after leaving an allopathic US medical school in 2015, at the end of my second year (link below)..

The metamorphosis that I have undergone since making the decision to leave medicine has been extremely profound. You might recall that I posted a video some months ago about my progress in tutoring etc.; today, I am working two jobs -- one full-time, and another part-time. The full time job is in Sales Engineering and my salary is 75k per year. The other job is developing for a new test-prep company, launching later this summer.

Aside from flourishing in various aspects of my current work, I have taken quite a liking to running and, in October, I will be running a half-marathon in support of the Parkinson's Disease Foundation. I wake up each day looking forward to what lies ahead -- something that would have seemed preposterous to me assuming my former predicament as a student yearning to detach from the medical umbilicus.

All is well, and I wish the same for each of you.

Best-
RP

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey all-

I've recently connected with a handful of medical students on the fence regarding their medical education and it led me to revisiting the YouTube video I posted on here just two weeks after leaving an allopathic US medical school in 2015, at the end of my second year (link below)..

The metamorphosis that I have undergone since making the decision to leave medicine has been extremely profound. You might recall that I posted a video some months ago about my progress in tutoring etc.; today, I am working two jobs -- one full-time, and another part-time. The full time job is in Sales Engineering and my salary is 75k per year. The other job is developing for a new test-prep company, launching later this summer.

Aside from flourishing in various aspects of my current work, I have taken quite a liking to running and, in October, I will be running a half-marathon in support of the Parkinson's Disease Foundation. I wake up each day looking forward to what lies ahead -- something that would have seemed preposterous to me assuming my former predicament as a student yearning to detach from the medical umbilicus.

Best-
RP

weren't you the one who had your parents take the brunt of your loans which made leaving easier and then jokingly say you would kill yourself if you were like the rest of us who have tons of loans and no rich parents to help us out... Real classy gem you are

Reactions: 28 users
No offense , but why do you continue to visit and make posts on a forum for student doctors if you are so happy with your new life? This, coupled with the fact that you felt the need to divulge your current income, suggests that you feel regret for quitting medicine.

Reactions: 35 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all-

Best-
RP

Cool story bro.

Reactions: 7 users
Doesn't surprise me that she left/didn't make it through after I watched 3min of the YouTube video. She actually indicates that there were mental illness issues which are a huge reason for not completing med school. Also, talk about a scatterbrained and really strange video.....

Reactions: 5 users
1q10ez.jpg

Reactions: 37 users
OP, if you're so happy about your decision to drop out of medical school, why have you spent two years desperately trying to convince a community of pre-meds, med students, and physicians (read: a community that you're not a part of anymore) that you're content with your life?

Reactions: 15 users
Glad you are happy OP.

Her story is a real reminder that it is OK if medicine is not for you, that it is never too late to realize that and change course in life and be happy and better off.

Reactions: 17 users
weren't you the one who had your parents take the brunt of your loans which made leaving easier and then jokingly say you would kill yourself if you were like the rest of us who have tons of loans and no rich parents to help us out... Real classy gem you are

If this is true, I have no words...

Edit: just watched the video. Holy moly.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If this is true, I have no words...

My parents sacrificed a great deal in terms of working -- both of them, full time, throughout much of my younger life -- to ensure that I would not have any debt in my pathway to medical school.

If you had $100,000 in loans would you have done the same thing?

Honestly, I probably would have killed myself.

Op is a real class act

Reactions: 18 users
I understand the point of the "return"- she's telling a story of somebody who truly was not happy in medicine and did something about it. Yes, no loans, but you guys have to consider that not everybody is in the same situation; quite a few classmates of mine, actually, have had parents pay off loans in full. Lotta children of doctors in medical school, shocker.

This post may apply to a certain subset of medical students, and for those that can't find any message in it- that's too bad. An argument can be made that somebody depressed enough in medical to overdose or commit/attempt suicide (no idea if OP did) may actually still, as hard as it may be to grasp, be happier in another occupation, despite being totally in debt. Not everybody hates medicine for the same reasons or sees loans in the same manner.

OP: I encourage you to perhaps leave a pretty obvious disclaimer with each post regarding your particular circumstances, so that students have a better idea of this person's context, which does affect students. Many (majority?) students are trapped by loans, and do not feel that they have the ability to jump ship simply because they are unhappy. I think you bottom line is valid, yet perhaps lost in your posts because you fall short of actively addressing this pretty large riff in the story.

Maybe you can provide students with educational resources for working themselves out of student loans, or seeking to partner with students who have also jumped ship, yet are stuck with massive loans. Honesty and openness, regardless of the backlash, will carry your message much farther.

Also, for future reference, I maybe wouldn't state that "I'd probably kill myself" if you had loans. The fact that this actually does happen, coupled with your failure to acknowledge that most students do have loans, comes across as naive and perhaps pretty damn disrespectful.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. OP I wish the best for you, but that video (combined with some of your horribly disrespectful posts in the past) was a little concerning. I hope you're in a more stable and happy place now.

Last edited:
Op is a real class act
I like how both parents working full time (gasp!) throughout much of her younger life is a huge sacrifice. Like if your parents couldn't pay for med school they didn't work hard or make sacrifices

Reactions: 8 users
I like how both parents working full time (gasp!) throughout much of her younger life is a huge sacrifice. Like if your parents couldn't pay for med school they didn't work hard or make sacrifices

This is the most deplorable thing she has said in my opinion. I did this on my own. I don't need anyone to help me reach my goals.

Jesus, why so harsh toward the OP? Med school isn't for everyone and you don't have to bully those who aren't successful in it.

OP, glad you are better now. In a way, you will have a life different, and sometimes better, than those of us who continued on.

Watch 13 reason why, nerds. It's on netflix.

This is the most deplorable thing she has said in my opinion. I did this on my own. I don't need anyone to help me reach my goals.

Appreciating your parents for working hard and wanting to help their child is absolutely wonderful. That's not at all the same as saying that parents who cannot do so don't give a damn, not does it say that her work is negated. It also doesn't mean that you're better because you "did this in your own". You sound like a jealous/pouting child.

You're both adults in medical school. You're going to be physicians. Maybe don't fish for negative connotations in everything she says. My immigrant parents worked hard as hell to help me pay for my loans. Don't be foolish enough to imply that I couldn't "do it on my own", or that's it's not a big deal or appreciable that they worked so hard based on what you said about hers. What kind of jerks are you?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
This is the most deplorable thing I've seen here (besides the post you quoted).

Appreciating your parents for working hard and wanting to help their child is absolutely wonderful. That's not at all the same as saying that parents who cannot do so don't give a damn, not does it say that her work is negated. It also doesn't mean that you're better because you "did this in your own". You sound like a jealous/pouting child.

Yikes, what? Idk about all that but I'd feel like a little **** if I didn't pay them back for all the wasted money. My parents don't deserve to throw money at my mistakes. But meh, do you I guess

No- THIS is the most deplorable thing I'VE seen here.

You're both adults in medical school. You're going to be physicians. Maybe don't fish for negative connotations in everything she says. Jesus Christ. My immigrant parents worked hard as hell to help me pay for my loans. Don't be foolish enough to imply that I couldn't "do it on my own", or that's it's not a big deal or appreciable that they worked so hard based on what you said about hers. What kind of jerks are you?

Cool story, bro. The OP pretty much said that if she was like the majority she would've likely chosen a different outcome... So, no I'm not jealous. Im gonna assume you belong to the same pack and nor do igaf.

Last edited:
Yikes, what? Idk about all that but I'd feel like a little **** if I didn't pay them back for all the wasted money. My parents don't deserve to throw money at my mistakes. But meh, do you I guess

Different families view things differently. If I saw my children in horrible loans and depressed after a big life changing/career event and had the ability to help, I would do so. But meh, you don't I guess.

Different families view things differently. If I saw my children in horrible loans and had the ability to help, I would do so. But meh, you don't I guess.

I'm not talking about what I'd do for my kids. I'm talking about what I'd take from my parents without feeling I should pay them back. I'm an adult, I take responsibility (financial or otherwise) for my choices. By the way, our responsibilities as children are very different from what we feel we'd for our children.

Last edited:
Just watched that whole video... Wow, all I can say is:

Seriously though OP, there are some serious psychiatric problems that were evident in that video that I hope you have under control now. All the best.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not talking about what I'd do for my kids. I'm talking about what I'd take from my parents without feeling I should pay them back. I'm an adult, I take responsibility (financial or otherwise) for my choices. By the way, our responsibilities as children are very different from what we feel we'd for our children.

Again, different families teach different values. In my culture, it is completely disrespectful to "pay back" family that helped, because it turns the "help" into more of a favor, as opposed to doing something because you are family. We don't know a single thing about how she was raised. I acknowledge that you have had different life experiences than her or I. I also acknowledge that she has had different life experiences than me, even though I may disagree with her in many aspects, and try to understand what she is saying. Obviously, she has some real issues, which also puts things into perspective.

My response was to the quoted, which you can read on your own time. You seem to have a somewhat close, yet different argument to make, and that's fine, but that was not the point of my post that you quoted.

In any case, we can agree to disagree, and no harm done.

Reactions: 4 users
Again, different families teach different values. In my culture, it is completely disrespectful to "pay back" family that helped, because it turns the "help" into more of a favor, as opposed to doing something because you are family. We don't know a single thing about how she was raised. I acknowledge that you have had different life experiences than her or I. I also acknowledge that she has had different life experiences than me.

My response was to the quoted, which you can read on your own time. You seem to have a somewhat close, yet different argument to make, and that's fine, but not the point of the my post that you quoted.

In any case, we can agree to disagree, and no harm done.

I actually think we're talking about different things . I'm not talking about parents who help their kids out to get a degree. I'm talking about op just dropping out and letting her parents make financial sacrifices for her choices. At that point with her "really great jobs" maybe she might think about paying her folks back for their failed investment?

Knowing the sacrifices my parents made for me, if I was in OPs place, I'm the type who might actually have stayed in school if I was on their dime versus if I'd had loans.

Op is a real class act

Cool story, bro. The OP pretty much said that if she was like the majority she would've likely chosen a different outcome... So, no I'm not jealous. Im gonna assume you belong to the same pack and nor do igaf.

Everyone comes from various walks of life and endures different circumstances. Naturally there will be times of disagreement and a lack of understanding from people of various upbringings (both rich and poor). As future physicians we should show some empathy to OP's situation and understand that the medical education system can really harm someone's mental health. Medicine isn't for everyone, and that includes some students who are currently in medical school too. I'm glad that OP has purused a new career path that brings her joy, an improved outlook, and a better quality of life.

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone comes from various walks of life and endures different circumstances. Naturally there will be times of disagreement and a lack of understanding from people of various upbringings (both rich and poor). As future physicians we should show some empathy to OP's situation and understand that the medical education system can really harm someone's mental health. Medicine isn't for everyone, and that includes some students who are currently in medical school too. I'm glad that OP has purused a new career path that brings her joy, an improved outlook, and a better quality of life.

I'm not taking issue with what the op did and I agree with you in the regard that it's not for everyone. The only thing that really upset me was her statement regarding committing suicide had she been from an average up-bringing. It almost condones that choice as an option for someone else. If she was serious or not, it's not a good look.

I actually think we're talking about different things . I'm not talking about parents who help their kids out to get a degree. I'm talking about op just dropping out and letting her parents make financial sacrifices for her choices. At that point with her "really great jobs" maybe she might think about paying her folks back for their failed investment?

Knowing the sacrifices my parents made for me, if I was in OPs place, I'm the type who might actually have stayed in school if I was on their dime versus if I'd had loans.

It's easy to say what you would do in a situation when you're not actually in it.

Also, we don't know if the OP has a plan for paying back her parents.

Finally- I think there is still a moral to this story: you can bounce back within a year or two of medicine isn't for you. This applies to people with loans too, because 75-100k a year is not bad money if you have 1-2 years of student loans to pay back. Many pharmacy grads finish school with 200k+ in loans with 100k/year earning potential.

I empathize but she loses alot of good will when students who aren't as Fortunate as her reaches out about the fears of debt and she callously mentions suicide.

I'm not taking issue with what the op did and I agree with you in the regard that it's not for everyone. The only thing that really upset me was her statement regarding committing suicide had she been from an average up-bringing. It almost condones that choice as an option for someone else. If she was serious or not, it's not a good look.

I empathize but she loses alot of good will when students who aren't as Fortunate as her reaches out about the fears of debt and she callously mentions suicide.
I agree you both on that, it's very bad visual on her part.

A lot of self righteous a-holes exposing themselves in this thread right here. Y'all need to chill out...

she callously mentions suicide.

Holy ****. That's more like a call to help than anything....

I would not want to work with many poster in this thread.

I would not want to work with many poster in this thread.
Wow it only took until post 34 to invoke Burnett's Law. Like a class action version of Burnett's Law at that.

OP's regular troll postings usually take until page 2 or 3 to achieve that status.

Strong work, SDN!

Reactions: 12 users
Wow it only took until post 34 to invoke Burnett's Law. Like a class action version of Burnett's Law at that.

OP's regular troll postings usually take until page 2 or 3 to achieve that status.

Strong work, SDN!
Naturally we're all overachievers here.

You know your youtube video sucks when you disable comments and likes/dislikes

Reactions: 9 users

My whole response was to this quote from you:

I did this on my own. I don't need anyone to help me reach my goals.

Not sure what talking about her possible alternative outcomes in different circumstances have to do with my original response to your quote where it sounds like you bash her for having family support and for some reason feel it's important to point out that you, personally, were able to do it without help. It seemed (as it was written in the context) as though that response is either a result of anger that comes from bitterness/jealousy from having to go it alone, or a superiority complex from not requiring help when others do.

However, not everybody is fortunate to have the same experiences or skill sets (including mental/emotional coping skills) to go it alone even if they needed to. You were able to. That's wonderful for you. That's admirable-very admirable, in fact, and you have every reason to feel good about it.

To extend an olive branch, I understand why her posts/video cause a lot of eye rolls. I'm simply surprised at the seeming lack of patience and quickness to judge and point out her flaws when clearly she has been through quite a roller coaster (this doesn't apply solely to your post, nor are my hands always clean). I apologize if I've offended you in any way. Not my intent.

Last edited:
I know I got caught in the trap of this thread by replying to some stuff... But I can't be the only one whose sort of just tired of OPs quarterly reposting of this, can I? It's like...irrelevant af.

By all means, let your first post lie in the archives for those it might help make the decision to leave or whatever. But no one else cares. Please go live your life.

OP, you're making $75k which is a pretty measly sum and unlikely to make much more than that 10 years from now. Also, you're probably going to lose that job by age 40 or the next big recession, whichever comes sooner.

But in the interim please feel free to gloat and attention ***** via youtube videos.

OP, you're making $75k which is a pretty measly sum and unlikely to make much more than that 10 years from now. Also, you're probably going to lose that job by age 40 or the next big recession, whichever comes sooner.

But in the interim please feel free to gloat and attention ***** via youtube videos.
That's pretty harsh, man. 75k is definitely a respectable living especially if she's living somewhere where the cost of living is cheap. If I wasn't in med school and I was making 75k with no wife and kids I'd be living a pretty sweet life for a little while.

You're both adults in medical school. You're going to be physicians. Maybe don't fish for negative connotations in everything she says. My immigrant parents worked hard as hell to help me pay for my loans. Don't be foolish enough to imply that I couldn't "do it on my own", or that's it's not a big deal or appreciable that they worked so hard based on what you said about hers. What kind of jerks are you?

My point was that both parents working isn't uncommon and that hard work isn't the only thing that put her parents in position to pay for her schooling. I could have taken some snark off to make that clear

Jealousy has many faces.

I bet many of us would love a way out of medicine.

OP found it, good for her. Let's stop raining on her party.

Last edited:
OP, thanks for sharing. It sounds like you made the right decision and are happy now.

To most of the others in this thread, jesus christ this is why people hate so many pre-meds and medical students. Several of you are laying out condescending psychiatric diagnoses, making judgments, and doing completely uncalled for things like calling out her salary. Get off your self-righteous, high horses. OP is just sharing her story so that others who are on the fence can see that there is indeed a way to make a living after dropping out of med school.

My point was that both parents working isn't uncommon and that hard work isn't the only thing that put her parents in position to pay for her schooling. I could have taken some snark off to make that clear

Fair enough.

just to make it clear I dont support the attacking of OP current salary or her choices to leave I just think she steps on her message anytime she opens her mouth.

She got burned out hardcore. Well if she was miserable in medical school, I don't see why everyone is grilling her. Do what you gotta do, make yourself happy, good luck with life.

Are you ready for that $100K with 250-300K debt when we going into a single payer system? I would hate to be your friend when that does happen.

Are you ready for that $100K with 250-300K debt when we going into a single payer system? I would hate to be your friend when that does happen.

Single payer in the US is very unlikely to happen within the foreseeable future. The private insurance organizations are an extremely powerful lobby within the US and I would expect that they're jaded following the fallout of the ACA. So please, simmer down there.

Reactions: 3 users

From what a prof said in a lecture regarding the single payer system, it is unlikely that they would allow the physician force to retain that debt AND give them a greater than 60% pay cut.