TX resident chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Earl Simmons

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you're absolutely fine. Since you've already gotten a 33, there's no need to take the MCAT unless you are positive you can get a 36 or higher. A 35 doesn't seem like enough of an improvement to warrant a re-take.
Your academics are fine, so just work on making everything else very good now. As a TX resident with good academics and everything else, you'll likely get interviews at most, if not all, of the TX state schools, including UTSW. Your chances at Baylor are lower, since it's a private school; still, it does have an in-state preference.
For reference, I interviewed this cycle at UTSW/UTMB as an OOS and am still waiting on the others (though I'd only go back for an interview at Baylor).

I assume you're talking about applying for the next cycle, right? Well, to get interviews, the MCAT/GPA/clinical community service/LORs/PS are most important. For acceptances, the interviews and LORs become the main factors, with MCAT, GPA, etc following.

Source:
http://www4.utsouthwestern.edu/stua...ions/SGSA Holistic Review_Final_051309ppt.pdf
Pages 9-11 are most relevant, but looking over the whole thing would be a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have similar stats. See me MDApps (note: TMDSAS GPA was a 3.92). I think as long as you have good EC's you're in a good spot.

bump...another question I have is if a 9 in VR is screened/lowers chances at admission into UT Southwestern, Baylor, and Top 20's. How are sub-10 VR scores viewed at such schools and is it worth retaking if I can get that VR to 10 or 11?
I know of no school that screens for a 9 in anything. Retaking a good MCAT does not make you look smarter...