MD Tx Resident OOS School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Earl Simmons

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are your regional preferences? Do you have specific career aspirations? You might invest in the MSAR if you haven't already and use that to look up schools whose missions are congruent with your own ideas about medicine. As long as your application is together, interesting, and compellingly written, you have a fair shot at UTSW, Baylor, and other schools of similar caliber, and a great shot at other TX schools. Granted, I don't know much about MD/PhD applications, just MD.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
-3.95 GPA and 33 MCAT
-excellent research that would be very competitive for MD/PhD
-great extracurricular activities, including multiple leadership positions
-worked a few part-time jobs throughout college
-LORs should be great to excellent

-will be applying to all the schools on TMDSAS and Baylor on AMCAS, but looking for OOS schools to apply to
-the out of state schools I apply to would have to be ones that I would attend over UTSW and Baylor (if accepted into those) based on (in no particular order): -cost, clinical experience, research rank, USMLE Step 1 avg., and location.
-So far the only schools that come to mind are Vanderbilt (known for lots of merit aid, but I don't think/know if I would get any, research rank, great Step 1, not sure about Nashville though) and Mayo (great clinical and well-rounded experience, I think the entire class gets a scholarship?, not a fan of the location though)

-Can I get help building a list?
-Can anyone chance me for UTSW and Baylor?

Nearly all OOS schools will be significantly more expensive than UTSW/Balyor unless you manage to get a scholarship. You should have a good shot at both UTSW and Baylor so if you're interested in research just apply to T25 schools in locations where you'd like to live.

Mayo, Emory, Pittsburgh, UPenn, Yale, and Johns Hopkins all come to mind. However I'm not sure that any school pushes you to specialize. Also take into consideration that most of the top ~40 USNews research schools give a lot of merit- and need-based scholarships to their students.

Last edited:
I suppose that you already realize that TX applicants are in a special predicament. With those stats you stand an excellent chance of being admitted to a fine school in TX that is very likely to be either much cheaper or "better" than many of the schools with similar median stats . Everyone else realizes this too. Unless one has superlative research (or some other distinguishing characteristic) that might lure scholarship cash from an OOS state school, we have observed that other similar applicants have overwhelmingly chosen to stay in TX.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
You should apply to every school you want and can afford to apply to. Circumstances are different for each applicant and, whatever yours are, they shouldn't prevent you from applying to your "dream" school(s). Your MCAT is below average for those schools but, coupled with your GPA and strong research experience, you still have a shot at an acceptance, I imagine. (I recommend using USNews's statistics for calculating your LizzyyM score, as those are supposedly the median scores of matriculated students. This year's rankings list medians of 12/11/12 for most "top" programs.) Take time to ask yourself what's really important to you in a medical education and choose your schools accordingly.

I suppose that you already realize that TX applicants are in a special predicament. With those stats you stand an excellent chance of being admitted to a fine school in TX that is very likely to be either much cheaper or "better" than many of the schools with similar median stats . Everyone else realizes this too. Unless one has superlative research (or some other distinguishing characteristic) that might lure scholarship cash from an OOS state school we have observed that other similar applicants have overwhelmingly chosen to stay in TX.

I agree with Gyngyn -

You've done your research and determined that it only makes sense for you to apply to those select few programs that you would like better than UTSW and Baylor, and that those programs would need to offer significant financial aid to make the cost difference worth your while. I think you're right on target there.

But realize also that the other medical schools are similarly clear-headed about your prospects. Like you, they realize they'd have to fork over an extra $30,000 per year to attract you to their school versus another qualified applicant, of which there are plenty.

From what you've written, you sound like a highly qualified applicant who has excellent odds at UTSW, Baylor, UTH, and the other Texas schools. But unless there's something unique in your application, you don't sound $30,000 per year more qualified than other applicants for schools that are better than UTSW and Baylor. For schools that are not as good? Yeah - but that's not what you want, right? Able to get into the top schools? Possibly - but at a significantly higher cost to you.

If there's a reach school that you'd be willing to pay more for, then go ahead and apply there if you've got the extra time and money. But if it were my money and my time, I'd suggest Texas only. If you interview decently, you should get in here -- most likely UTSW and/or Baylor. If not, still several other very good schools that will still be much better for the money than anywhere else.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with Gyngyn -

You've done your research and determined that it only makes sense for you to apply to those select few programs that you would like better than UTSW and Baylor, and that those programs would need to offer significant financial aid to make the cost difference worth your while. I think you're right on target there.

But realize also that the other medical schools are similarly clear-headed about your prospects. Like you, they realize they'd have to fork over an extra $30,000 per year to attract you to their school versus another qualified applicant, of which there are plenty.

From what you've written, you sound like a highly qualified applicant who has excellent odds at UTSW, Baylor, UTH, and the other Texas schools. But unless there's something unique in your application, you don't sound $30,000 per year more qualified than other applicants for schools that are better than UTSW and Baylor. For schools that are not as good? Yeah - but that's not what you want, right? Able to get into the top schools? Possibly - but at a significantly higher cost to you.

If there's a reach school that you'd be willing to pay more for, then go ahead and apply there if you've got the extra time and money. But if it were my money and my time, I'd suggest Texas only. If you interview decently, you should get in here -- most likely UTSW and/or Baylor. If not, still several other very good schools that will still be much better for the money than anywhere else.
You have eloquently described the reasons why we (sadly) rarely interview applicants from TX. The state has effectively achieved their goals of keeping IS candidates IS. You have to hand it to them...

U Chicago gives out scholarships too

I imagine schools give out scholarships to students who have done . . . just that, excellent scholarly work. You might be surprised by how much money some schools have to give out, especially if you can establish financial need.

Your plan seems solid to me.

Edit: maybe 4-5 schools similar to UTSW and Baylor and 2-3 "reaches"?

Last edited:
I'm having an issue with my 9 in verbal. I know I panicked on the real thing for Verbal. What I'm seeing though for accepted student data is that even 10th percentile VR scores are 10. Are these schools automatically screening <10 VR scores? Is the 9 in VR = automatic rejection or incredibly steep uphill battle? Just something I noticed from MSAR data.
You won't be screened out with a 9 in verbal, especially with your total score.