TY year ROL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

john687

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, is it a good idea to send your top three or four TY year choices an e-mail saying you are ranking them #1 if they are geographically separated? TY years are very competitive and would like to increase my chances of matching into one.

Members don't see this ad.

You can't have 3-4 #1 programs. That is dishonest. Dishonesty is a bad idea.

Actually you can...You can have a different #1 TY program for every single advanced position you rank. Just sayin'.

I suppose I stand corrected. But in that case I don't really see the point.

So, is it a good idea to send your top three or four TY year choices an e-mail saying you are ranking them #1 if they are geographically separated? TY years are very competitive and would like to increase my chances of matching into one.
You are assuming that they will adjust their ROL based upon your email. They almost certainly won't, especially for a 1 year TY.

Last year, I had the same TY at #1 position for all my advanced programs and I explicitly stated that when I sent my email. If you're changing the #1 depending on the advanced program and sending multiple emails, that's still lying/misleading the programs unless you explicitly state your intentions, at which point it probably doesn't do any good (and may hurt). I matched at my #1, but I asked my PD about those emails this week as we finish up interview season, and he told me that it doesn't have any bearing on his ROL. It will hurt either you or at the least your schools' reputation the ensuing years if you mislead the program. If you're going to do it, be honest about.