Type of Calculators allowed in Naplex Exams 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naplexnaplex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody took Naplex in January 2014 or Feb 2014 ? I heard from this student doctor forum that handheld calculators are now not allowed in the exams, only online calculator, computer calculator is allowed.Is that true?? or just the rumor. Please share your experience. Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

Online calculator only. There's like a list of 30 items that you can't bring with you to the exam site. It is very strict.

Members don't see this ad :)
Online calculator only. There's like a list of 30 items that you can't bring with you to the exam site. It is very strict.
I haven't looked at the list in a while, but from what I gather it's a bit like trying to get through airport security. ;)

We have to register a retina scan now, right? Yeesh.

The NAPLEX is pretty much straightforward. I really don't see how people fail it.

I took the NAPLEX last week. They asked if I wanted a handheld calculator and I said yes. It was just a simple calculator, nothing fancy. As mentioned, there is the onscreen calculator that you can use as well. I actually didn't get any calculation questions that required the use of the onscreen calculator so I just stuck with handheld for the duration of the exam.

Per the NAPLEX/MPJE 2014 bulletin, you may request a handheld 5-function calculator. I was planning on doing this if they didn't give me the option. I suggest you do the same. If they tell you no, then tough cookies! :) I'm sure you'll be fine either way as long as your calc game is on point. Good luck.

Last edited:
Anybody took Naplex in January 2014 or Feb 2014? I heard from this student doctor forum that handheld calculators are now not allowed in the exams, only online calculator, computer calculator is allowed. Is that true?? or just the rumor. Please share your experience. Thank You.

SEMI-SURE 2014:

PER NAPLEX, REAL CALCULATOR WILL BE GIVEN,

BUT, DEPENDING ON TESTING SITE, YOU MAY NOT GET.

SO, YOU MUST ASK BEFORE MAKING APPOINTMENT.

I hope this helps someone.

Again, NAPLEX says test location will give (Exact language: "A candidate requesting a handheld calculator for any reason, will be supplied a five function calculator by Pearson VUE.".)

BUT, test location MAY NOT,

Any lawyer in house?

Here is a clear cut law suit case:

Fact 1: NAPLEX officially wrote:

"A candidate requesting a handheld calculator for any reason, will be supplied a five function calculator by Pearson VUE."

Fact 2: Some test locations are NOT giving handheld calculator.

Are test locations breaching Contract Law?

Can we sue test locations for these reasons?

Reason number 1: By not giving handheld calculator, test location is causing unnecessary mental anguish to exam taker on a life changing exam that requires mental clarity of 4 hours.

Reason number 2: if test location is not concerned about mental depression of failed exam taker, then, please consider this compelling reason: By not giving handheld calculator, test location is directly causing the test taker to fail the exam and cost the test taker 3 months of income, which the dollar amount is at least about $ 30000 dollars (again, that is thirty thousand dollars).

Why should I concern about this?

I have heard from friends that some testing site are very strange that the workers there even pulled out some weird guide and did read to my friend in 02-2014 that NAPLEX did not allow REAL CALCULATOR.

Two other friends who took NAPLEX in 2013 also did not get REAL CALCULATOR.

So, I was very happy to read that NAPLEX LEGALLY will supply calculator. BUT, AGAIN SOME TEST CONTRACTORS MAY NOT GIVE YOU REAL CALCULATOR. CHECK PLEASE BEFORE YOU MAKE APPPOINTMENT.

I found the GUIDE FOR NAPLEX FOR 2014 (from NAPLEX website at this web link):

http://www.nabp.net/system/rich/rich_files/rich_files/000/000/184/original/naplex-mpje-bulletin-011714.pdf

I also included the document in this email.

On page 17 of computer file (or page 13 of printed pages), at the top, I found this information about CALCULATOR:

Supplies Provided.

The administrator will provide you with an erasable note board and pen. You may

not remove these materials from the testing room at any time. Using your own scratch paper or pen is prohibited.

» NAPLEX Only: An on-screen calculator can be activated during the examination for your use. The on-screen calculator can be used in a scientific or five function mode. Please note that many of the calculations on the NAPLEX will require the on-screen scientific calculator. A candidate requesting a handheld calculator for any reason, will be supplied a five function calculator by Pearson VUE. Personal calculators of any kind are prohibited.

So, please,

STEP 1. BEFORE YOU MAKE APPOINTMENT, YOU MUST DO YOUR DUTY TO ASK TEST SITE: Naplex officially wrote that test location must give test taker a real handheld calculator. Do you have real handheld calculator?

DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE EXAM DAY AND FIGHT WITH THEM ON YOUR EXAM DAY. Why? YOU WILL NOT FEEL CALM AND FOCUSED FOR YOUR EXAM.

STEP 2: Please reply here about the results. Which test location refused to give handheld calculator? Name of that person? Date and Time of conversation?

Why?

We need to UNITE in this battle because too many of us suffered on our test days as the consequence of us not uniting against test locations contractors that are not fulfilling their contracts with NAPLEX. In other words, we did not UNITE in the past and we suffered. And many more just suffered in the past year and many more will suffer in the coming years. This unfair practice of test locations must be stopped. We are in this profession to stop others from suffering pain. We must help our own to pass the exam first so we have more good pharmacists out there to help sick people. Imagine six months from now...any test takers will be greeted with dignity and respect and a real handheld calculator...The test taker calmly takes the test with knowledge and calculate more than 30 math questions accurately in a very short time...You can see clearly now....a test taker calmly walking in and out is a pharmacist with head held high...and help sick patients...And reality is now, today as the start of you, the helpful pharmacist. Take care of yourself and your loved ones.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I hope this helps someone. Please help others, Thank you very much in advance.

Remember Step 2?
STEP 2: Please reply here about the results.
Which test location refused to give handheld calculator?
Name of that person?
Date and Time of conversation?

Attachments

• NAPLEX 2014, REAL CALCULATOR WILL BE GIVEN BY SITE, naplex-mpje-bulletin-011714.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT POST ON STUDENT DOCTOR.

THE HANDHELD CALCULATOR THEY GIVE YOU WHEN TAKING THE NAPLEX TAKES UNWANTED LIBERTIES WHEN ROUNDING.
EXAMPLE, TYPING 2.5 X 1 MAY ROUND TO AN ANSWER OF 3.

BE CAREFUL.

SOMEBODY STICKY THIS NOTE.

Reactions: 1 user