Types of LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kikkoman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't applied yet, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what most schools require for LORs. I'm planning to get these four:

1 Science Professor
1 Research Professor (didn't have me in class, but I worked in his lab)
1 Humanities Professor
1 Premed Advisor (M.D/PhD., but doesn't know me in a academic setting)

Do any schools specifically require 2 recommendations from science professors (i.e. professors who have taught a class that you have attended)?

Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

kikkoman said:
I haven't applied yet, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what most schools require for LORs. I'm planning to get these four:

1 Science Professor
1 Research Professor (didn't have me in class, but I worked in his lab)
1 Humanities Professor
1 Premed Advisor (M.D/PhD., but doesn't know me in a academic setting)

Do any schools specifically require 2 recommendations from science professors (i.e. professors who have taught a class that you have attended)?

Thanks so much.

I think a lot of schools require 2 Science and 1 Non Science professor recommendations.

It is best to have two science faculty letters, people who actually taught you in a course for credit. One of those should be from someone from your major if you were a science major. For example I was a biochem major so I had one LOR from a biochem prof and the other from a bio prof. Your other LOR sounds fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alexander99 said:
I think a lot of schools require 2 Science and 1 Non Science professor recommendations.

Will a research professor count count towards the science professor?

Alexander99 said:
Can you link me to any specific school websites that say this?

Google searched: letters recommendation medical school science non-science

Very first page of the very first listing (pdf file):

Click Here

I'm honestly not trying to single out the OP or anyone else, nor am I trying to be rude by saying this, but we're the future physicians of the world, right? Can't we do stuff like this ourselves?

WyldeWolf1 said:

Click Here

I'm honestly not trying to single out the OP or anyone else, nor am I trying to be rude by saying this, but we're the future physicians of the world, right? Can't we do stuff like this ourselves?

But if you are thinking of applying to 20+ schools it can be a pain for everyone who is curious to look through each secondary, especially when you don't know which ones you will get. Also, I got some messages about schools accepting research profs in place of science profs - so I was a little unclear about that.

Thought having a clear answer to the recommendation issue would be a good resource for others as well as myself...

WyldeWolf1 said:

Click Here

When practicing medicine, you will find it much quicker and more convenient to consult a colleague over a matter than to sit over books for hours trying to find an answer.

*sigh* I should've forseen that kind of reaction. My only point was that maybe we should all take at least a quick look for ourselves first. If, then, we need advice or clarification, we should by all means ask for it. "Teach a man to fish..."

Basically, I would only suggest such a thing on this forum because everyone here is intelligent and self-sufficient for the most part. If I didn't respect you, I'd just say "Here ya go." *pat on the head*

kikkoman said:
But if you are thinking of applying to 20+ schools it can be a pain for everyone who is curious to look through each secondary, especially when you don't know which ones you will get. Also, I got some messages about schools accepting research profs in place of science profs - so I was a little unclear about that.

Thought having a clear answer to the recommendation issue would be a good resource for others as well as myself...
Well, I will try to give you as clear of an answer as possible as it was in my experience.

Generally, 2 science professors and 1 non-science professor is good enough. If your major is a science major, you should get one from a professor in your major, one from another science, and a non-science. The reason is some schools specifically say one from your major, while most say 2 sci and 1 non-sci.

Both NYMC and Albert Einstein required a letter from my major. My major was biology but I had two chemistry professor letters so they spefically said my application wouldn't be reviewed unless I got the letters. I ended up not sending in my secondaries and wasted $60 on the primary apps for both.

I had 2 chem professors, an english professor, a physician letter, and an employer letter. I sent all those into most schools and it was fine besides the two schools I mentioned. Even Jefferson had some funky requirement of one physics, one chemistry, and one bio but if you wrote them a letter telling why you couldn't get the required letters it was fine.

As far as getting your research one, it will be ok for most schools. However, some schools specifically say two science LORs from professors who taught you. In that case your letter may not meet the requirement.

The safe thing to do is to get 2 sci (one from your major), 1 non sci, and your research professor one. I would say those 4 will definitely get you passed all the requirements for every MD school.

I've searched and I cannot find the LOR requirement for the UC system. Can anyone who has recently applied tell me if any of the UC's specifically require two letters from science instructors?

Pinkertinkle said:
I've searched and I cannot find the LOR requirement for the UC system. Can anyone who has recently applied tell me if any of the UC's specifically require two letters from science instructors?
you cant find it because the UCs say what they want directly on the secondary...

ie..UCI...accepts 3-6 LORs.

they want 2 from senior professors and AT LEAST one of them should be in the sciences. And other letters to show the quality and extent of involvement in your most meaningful ECs.

i dont want to look it up for each and every school.

what ive noticed from the 40+ schools i applied to.
most of them want a minimum of 3 LORs but a max of 5-6 LORs. 6 is rare but many have a max of 5.

2 science prof
1 non science prof
1-2 ECs...ie research, volunteering.

so try to get 5-6 so that you are ensured to fill every requirement for each schoolyou apply to. if a school only wants three...then have your 2 science and the best one out of the rest of the letters you have.

so, i've been out of ugrad for a few years, and thus it will be difficult for me to go back to request letters from my profs there. i'm planning to ask to profs of courses i've taken since ugrad (both grad. sciences courses), my employer (i'm working in research), and the medical director at the clinic where i'm currently volunteering. anyone see any problems with this?

bump for any further information. . . .

do you think engineering classes count as science or non-science?

javandane-
I think your plan is good.
I am in a similar situation, and my pre-med advisor ( from the school where I'm currently taking a couple of the missing prereqs ) told me to do just what you did. I've got them from my company's CEO, from a local MD that I work with, from a professor close to me from my undergrad major, and from some science course profs.
If you know of any med schools that you're leaning toward, you may wanna see if they'd tell you what they "expect" or what they'd like to see, to help guide you...

dc

I have been meaning to ask this: I am not gonna apply to med schools until 2006. But I want to get LOR's from my professors now since they might not remember me much in two years.

How should I get these LORs. Should I get those and keep it with myself. Once I get formal admission to my school (NCSU), I think our pre-med advisor can open a file for me and keep the LORs. I am not too sure about that.

I would appreciate some advice on this.

Thanks,
Shahab

shahab said:
I have been meaning to ask this: I am not gonna apply to med schools until 2006. But I want to get LOR's from my professors now since they might not remember me much in two years.

How should I get these LORs. Should I get those and keep it with myself. Once I get formal admission to my school (NCSU), I think our pre-med advisor can open a file for me and keep the LORs. I am not too sure about that.

I would appreciate some advice on this.

Thanks,
Shahab
i dont understand...

you will apply to med school in 2 years...
which i assume means you are at an ugrad...
are you transferring from a community college into ncsu?
is that what you mean by formal admissions?

just wanted to clear up some questions i had before i say something.

I am sorry. my fault. I should've explained better. I have an undergrad in Elect. Engineering. I am taking pre-req courses at NCSU and I have applied for admission to the biochem dept. so that I can register for classes earlier. The other reason is that if I am a formally admitted student of NCSU, the pre-med advisor will open a file for me.

I go to school part-time. Thats why I am not gonna apply till 2006. So, should I request the profs to write rec. letters now and have them send it to the pre-med advisor? I want to get the LOR's now..because I have two chem profs...they will give me very very good rec letters. And one of the prof is actually retiring in a few months.

I hope I clarified any confusion. I guess what I am not sure is..when I apply to med schools in 2006, do they want the LORs directly from the professors?

While we are on this subject. I have one good LOR from my undergrad years. It was from our dept. head. And the letter shows I did research, and attended couple of conferences etc. I have that LOR. Would that be of any use when I apply to med schools?

Thanks .. have a good weekend.

shahab

Shahab,
I'm also a EE returning back. Others may correct me, but I believe that letters have to be written recently - and it is frowned upon if you have ever seen it (we sign waivers giving up our right to see the letters). So holding letters from undergrad or ones written now for next summer probably won't wash.

I would talk to your professors and ask them for advice. They may want to write something on you know and keep in a file, so they can 'update' when you ask for the formal letter next year. As far as the professor who is retiring - keep in touch in his retirement. Just because he is not an active faculty shouldn't mean he can't write a letter for you, if he was active faculty when he did teach.

For the undergrad letter - I would track down that individual and ask for an update of his letter. You can give him the copy you have and say that you would like an 'update' to your pre-med advisor. That way, you can honestly say that you haven't seen the letter (you having no idea what he may or may not have changed).

Hope this helps. I've found all the professors and old bosses very willing to help out with these once I approaced them.

chopper.:
Good to know you and I are on the same path. I sincerely wish the best for you. Thanks for your good advice. I definitely didn't think of those ideas. Simple but great ideas. I will do exactly what you suggested.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

shahab

kikkoman said:
Will a research professor count count towards the science professor?

I may be able to help you with this. The wording in the LOR requirements is kind of vague at many schools. A lot of schools state that 2 lor's should come from science faculty (some further stipulate that they should be from someone from who you have taken a class). After graduation I have worked in a research lab at my undergraduate institution, and I got away with having my boss, my research advisor (who is faculty in BIOS) write a letter of rec for me. She was willing to leave the fact that I had never taken a formal class with her a little ambiguous. I got plenty of secondaries, interviews, and acceptances from schools that said that it was necessary for the LOR's to come from faculty from which i took a class. I am not sure if that was overlooked, or if they were willing to overlook that because i was kind of a non-trad applicant. My other science LOR was from another faculty member that I did research with and took a class with as an undergraduate.

Hope this is helpfull good luck.