Types of Research Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miraclemd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have about 1.5 years worth of research experience in math applied to epidemiology and neuroscience in grad school (my undergrad and grad degrees are in math), and 1 year in pediatric cardiology from 6-7 years ago when I was in college. I have no publications, though. I was wondering if this is 'good enough' for med school applications, or if I should be involved in more.

If I am involved in more, would research in public health (ie, child obesity or global health, etc.) count as much as basic science (ie, bench research) would? It's so hard for me to know since most everyone does basic science research and I don't have any.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The research experience you already have is more than good enough.

And yes, Public Health research would also be benefit your application.

If you can look in your crytstal ball far enough ahead to see what specialty you'd train in eventually, you might strategize for any future research to be somewhat related.

Do research on what you're interested in, not what you think admission committees want you to do. Ultimately, they want to see that you're involved in the process of research, not necessarily that you're doing cutting-edge benchwork.