Typical Bad Freshman Year: First Semester... But more than that

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VictoriaXxXROse

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have several questions to ask, so please bear with me!

Firstly, I had a horrible first semester my freshman year. I had some really bad personal family issues that really messed me up in school. I ended up with a 1.4 GPA and was put on academic probation. Next semester of my freshman year I got a 3.9 GPA, was taken off academic probation which evened out my overall GPA to be about a 2.6-2.7. My school has a good d/f repeat policy so if I retake the classes I failed, it will increase my overall GPA by a lot. However, I do realize it will still be on my record. Should I still continue to try to get into medical school or are my chances just completely ruined?

Secondly, if I should continue, should I change my major? I am a health sciences major at the moment just because I love the healthcare field altogether. But I am thinking of maybe changing to a biomedical science major with a minor in chemistry (because my university requires a minor with a science major) because that also sparks an interest for me. Which major would be best to further increase my chances since I have already messed up tremendously?

Thirdly, as I am very far behind on my science classes, would it look really bad to take an extra year to get all of my stuff together. I do not believe I can finish on time with what I have accomplished so far. All I have right now is a Chemistry Lab and am now retaking Biology I. So bascially in the year I have already been there I only have one Lab under my belt (which I realize also looks bad to not have a few sciences classes per semester).

Lastly, does anyone have any extra advice because at this point I am open to ANYTHING. I realize what I have done and will do anything to fix it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1). You are fine… many people mess up freshman year (myself included). You went from a 1.4 to a 3.9…thats awesome! Keep up your pursuit of medical school.
2). Nope keep your major. You proved that you could handle it and if medicine is really what you want to do then I would keep the health sciences major.
3). Many people take 5 years to graduate. Again, retake classes and do well in them and you will be fine. Keep it up!

1). You are fine… many people mess up freshman year (myself included). You went from a 1.4 to a 3.9…thats awesome! Keep up your pursuit of medical school.
2). Nope keep your major. You proved that you could handle it and if medicine is really what you want to do then I would keep the health sciences major.
3). Many people take 5 years to graduate. Again, retake classes and do well in them and you will be fine. Keep it up!
I took 7 years to graduate. Not to worry OP.

Reactions: 1 user