U of I - Peoria vs SLU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsfineimfine

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
U of I - Peoria (in-state student)
Pros
  • Small class size ~60 (less competition for resources, more attention from faculty)
  • Jump Simulation Center
  • Good area hospitals that are well run
  • Illinois Neuroscience Institute nearby so a lot of neuro research available
  • VR technology available
  • Synthesis weeks & 1 week dedicated study time for exams

Cons
  • Living in Peoria (cheap living but .... Peoria)
  • Seems to have less resources/funds than other campuses
  • Small class size is perhaps too small
  • New curriculum implemented last year, unsure if it is good
  • Building/facilities besides jump center are old and lack of study space

SLU (Saint Louis University)
Pros
  • Living in STL
  • Close to WashU for research opportunities
  • Access to interesting clinical cases in an urban area
  • Love their mission and values
  • Focus on student wellness
  • Liked the atmosphere when I interviewed
  • Better facilities & more study spaces
  • 10k scholarship to SLU

Cons
  • Large class size ~160 (though it could help with networking? thoughts?)
  • Probation but not a huge concern
  • 1 day dedicated study time for exams & no synthesis weeks
  • Area hospitals aren't run as well as Peoria's
  • Driving in the city
  • More expensive living in STL
  • Not as much clinical experience?
  • Lesser quality technology than Peoria (simulation center & VR tech)

Summary:
Cost is not a real issue because I received a 10k scholarship from SLU and it basically equalizes the COAs between the two schools.
I'd like to know more information about how residency programs view these two schools and if one is better than the other, education & residency prep wise.
I'm also not sure if I would want to be in a quiet, suburb area because it might be more conducive for learning in medical school?
Can any current students say how happy they are at the schools or living in STL? Their thoughts on administration? Are there a lot of research opportunities at SLU? Are the professors accessible?
Do the class sizes even matter?
I feel like the education and clinical experiences may be better at Peoria but correct me if I'm wrong. Also don't want to live in Peoria really ...
Please help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
care to elaborate about Peoria?
I spoke with a med student who was very unhappy there and described the Peoria and Rockford campuses as complete garbage. Apparently there is a severe lack of resources for students and very little opportunities for research, leadership, mentorship, etc in addition to problems with the clinical rotations.

Last edited:
I spoke with a med student who was very unhappy there and described the Peoria and Rockford campuses as complete garbage. Apparently there is a severe lack of resources for students and very little opportunities for research, leadership, mentorship, etc in addition to problems with the clinical rotations.
Interesting to hear...I thought there was a lot of research opps but maybe not

I'm not yet a student at UIC - Rockford, but I did attend their second look and found many students who are happy there, so much so that they would they would rank Rockford over Chicago if they were to choose sites again. I can't imagine that Peoria would be much different.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not yet a student at UIC - Rockford, but I did attend their second look and found many students who are happy there, so much so that they would they would rank Rockford over Chicago if they were to choose sites again. I can't imagine that Peoria would be much different.
Good luck

U of I imo. I wouldn’t care to attend a more “sub-par” OOS school. However, I know students at both schools and they’re equally happy so that shouldn’t be a factor.

What you need to really consider are major differences and choose. They’re not the same.

Curriculum is very different at both.

Class size is very different at both.

Location is very different at both.

These three major factors are so different it shouldn’t be difficult to choose. You’re on one side or the other. Whichever school wins 2/3 of those is where you should go.

As for how they’re both viewed residency wise U of I is higher ranked. You can find the exact numerical score on Reddit/SDN with a quick Google search.

Last edited:
U of I imo. I wouldn’t care to attend a more “sub-par” OOS school. However, I know students at both schools and they’re equally happy so that shouldn’t be a factor.

What you need to really consider are major differences and choose. They’re not the same.

Curriculum is very different at both.

Class size is very different at both.

Location is very different at both.

These three major factors are so different it shouldn’t be difficult to choose. You’re on one side or the other. Whichever school wins 2/3 of those is where you should go.

As for how they’re both viewed residency wise U of I is higher ranked. You can find the exact numerical score on Reddit/SDN with a quick Google search.

Do you think the the new curriculum at U of I has changed for the better? I'm not exactly sure how to compare SLU's curriculum vs UICs

Do you think the the new curriculum at U of I has changed for the better? I'm not exactly sure how to compare SLU's curriculum vs UICs
The M1's I know raved about the new curriculum. The block system, synthesis weeks between blocks, earlier clinical exposure, and more dedicated study time for Step I were frequently cited strengths. Many of the upperclassmen I met were jealous of the incoming classes.

Reactions: 1 user

When did said med student attend UICOMP? I am under the impression this might have been the case in the past. Per a student who is currently at UICOMP, there has been a huge push to see that resources and equal opportunities are allocated to all three campuses, to the point that students at Peoria and Rockford are often favored for research opps and mentorship.