U of Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gmohamma

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I called U of Md to check my status on thursday and they told me my file was with a counselor being reviewed.. and my dad calls me today saying they called my house and were asking weird questions. He said they asked what school i go to (UCI) and if that was in Maryland? They were also asking when I was going to graduate? Don't they have that information on pharmcas? My dad also asked them if this was regarding an interview and they said no.

What do you guys think?? I'm so LE CONFUSED.

Members don't see this ad.

gmohamma said:
So I called U of Md to check my status on thursday and they told me my file was with a counselor being reviewed.. and my dad calls me today saying they called my house and were asking weird questions. He said they asked what school i go to (UCI) and if that was in Maryland? They were also asking when I was going to graduate? Don't they have that information on pharmcas? My dad also asked them if this was regarding an interview and they said no.

What do you guys think?? I'm so LE CONFUSED.

sweet...another cali person :).

i htink interviews are starting this week or something. i hope you get in :) . we need some different states representing in this school.

marylandpharm said:

i htink interviews are starting this week or something. i hope you get in :) . we need some different states representing in this school.

wait, so that weird phone call means they want to interview me??? :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
gmohamma said:
wait, so that weird phone call means they want to interview me??? :love:

oh sorry, maybe i miswrote someting on my previous post. i just got a little too excited from seeing that another cali person is trying to get into maryland :)

try calling them and asking them if you got an interview a few days later. dont call incessantly and piss them off though. :p

marylandpharm said:
oh sorry, maybe i miswrote someting on my previous post. i just got a little too excited from seeing that another cali person is trying to get into maryland :)

try calling them and asking them if you got an interview a few days later. dont call incessantly and piss them off though. :p

:scared:

I already emailed them... i hope they dont think i'm mean!

i applied for Maryland too...Haven't heard anything from them yet...I heard Maryland is a tough school to get in, so....still waiting...

futurepharm.d.? said:
i applied for Maryland too...Haven't heard anything from them yet...I heard Maryland is a tough school to get in, so....still waiting...

When did u applied and are you still waiting? I am waiting , hoping and praying that I do get an interview and acceptance

marylandpharm said:

Hi can i communicate with you some time? I am hoping to get into UMB tis fall havn't heard anyhing about interview but keeping my fingers crossed. I am applying as a foriegn pharmacist. Do you know anyone in your class who did? and can you hook me up with them? thank you. I lie in Houston

Interviews are being conducted right now at Maryland -- they started on the 21st of January. I think 25 people have already been accepted in the early acceptance period last fall, and about 250 people who meet the GPA, PCAT, and extracurricular requirements will be interviewed this winter/spring. Good luck, and maybe I'll see you at the interviews. :)

Sosumi said:
Interviews are being conducted right now at Maryland -- they started on the 21st of January. I think 25 people have already been accepted in the early acceptance period last fall, and about 250 people who meet the GPA, PCAT, and extracurricular requirements will be interviewed this winter/spring. Good luck, and maybe I'll see you at the interviews. :)

hey but can anyone tell me their opinion of why they called my house and asked my parents random weird questions that they should already have the answers to??

... i hope that it at least means i MIGHT have a chance there.. I think I would just die of happiness if I got in U of MD...

gmohamma said:
hey but can anyone tell me their opinion of why they called my house and asked my parents random weird questions that they should already have the answers to??

... i hope that it at least means i MIGHT have a chance there.. I think I would just die of happiness if I got in U of MD...

Well, at least you know that they are considering you. Maybe they are trying to place individuals in categories - those with degrees, etc.

Hi. This is not my opinion about why UMB called your house, but it might still be useful. For interviews, Maryland notified applicants via e-mail that they are invited. I received the e-mail January 13th. The first interview (for general pool applicants) was on Jan 21st. If you didn't respond to the e-mail that you could make it on the 21st, they automatically sent via postal mail your date and time of interview. Those interviews are on the following dates: January 28th, February 3rd, February 6th, and February 11th.

I did not receive an email. They called my house for an interview and I scheduled myself for a Jan. 28th interview(yesterday). It went well, no snags and bad feels; however, I am unsure as they do reject half of the interviewees...

voskoboy said:
I did not receive an email. They called my house for an interview and I scheduled myself for a Jan. 28th interview(yesterday). It went well, no snags and bad feels; however, I am unsure as they do reject half of the interviewees...

Wow that's cool they called you. I wonder why they're inconsistent with the way they invite. Do you live near there? Well I totally hear you about feeling good about the interview but then unsure because of rejecting half the people. Well... It is a lot better than them interviewing 580 or so people for around 180 spots like some schools =T. Btw, while you were there did they mention to you if they accept the same number of people each during each round of interviews?

i dont know guys i just think it's really weird that they called and talked to my parents and said that it didnt have to do with an interview..

LittleMissB said:
Wow that's cool they called you. I wonder why they're inconsistent with the way they invite. Do you live near there? Well I totally hear you about feeling good about the interview but then unsure because of rejecting half the people. Well... It is a lot better than them interviewing 580 or so people for around 180 spots like some schools =T. Btw, while you were there did they mention to you if they accept the same number of people each during each round of interviews?

when i interviewed, they told me they accepted roughly 50% of each interviewed group. but im sure that can waver if one group somehow tends to be a bunch of ppl who have no idea why they're interviewing in the first place :laugh:

one more thing....i got a letter (not an email or a call) notifying me of an interview...haha, they must come in all forms. ill piss in my pants if someone replies saying they got an interview through a visit by an admissions rep

marylandpharm said:
one more thing....i got a letter (not an email or a call) notifying me of an interview...haha, they must come in all forms. ill piss in my pants if someone replies saying they got an interview through a visit by an admissions rep
Oh, you tempt me! :laugh:

For me (just went to Baltimore this past Saturday), they first sent me an email to ask if I wanted to go to the one on 21st. I was like, I've an interview already (and not to mention it was a week from the time they emailed me). So I was scheduled for the 28th and they also sent a letter to my parent's house.

From what I've heard so far (aka me and a friend I ran into this weekend), they send you an email first and then send the snail mail after. So your phone call from them does intrigue me.

But damned, that town and school made an impression. Just don't walk past Martin Luthur King Jr. Road.

eddavatar said:
For me (just went to Baltimore this past Saturday), they first sent me an email to ask if I wanted to go to the one on 21st. I was like, I've an interview already (and not to mention it was a week from the time they emailed me). So I was scheduled for the 28th and they also sent a letter to my parent's house.

From what I've heard so far (aka me and a friend I ran into this weekend), they send you an email first and then send the snail mail after. So your phone call from them does intrigue me.

But damned, that town and school made an impression. Just don't walk past Martin Luthur King Jr. Road.

How did your interview went? good luck

eddavatar said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

the school weeds out the weak from the strong

clearlake said:
How did your interview went? good luck
I think I did well. I reach most of my objectives/sell pitch to the interviewers during the conversations. What was funny is when I was talking to the students we had such a great conversation going on that we ran overtime w/o knowing and the professor had to walk in and ask if I was around. I hope the prof wasnt mad (which she didnt seem to be).
Overall, I think I did better here than I did in USC, simply because I've more time to talk.

marylandpharm said:
the school weeds out the weak from the strong

O, the impression part I mean like, I like the school a lot more than I thought I would (it was still pretty high up on my list right behind UCSD/UCSF but I'm already shot down by them, anyway. But now I really want to go there.) At the end I went to the office for more pharmd/phd info and i ended up in the office of Dr. Shapiro (who's the chair of the pharm science dept) and had a talk for about 45 mins. I liked what I've heard so far.

And yea, the town's beautiful for the most part, and I'm living in La Jolla right now, so that's a compliment for sure.

eddavatar said:
O, the impression part I mean like, I like the school a lot more than I thought I would (it was still pretty high up on my list right behind UCSD/UCSF but I'm already shot down by them, anyway. But now I really want to go there.) At the end I went to the office for more pharmd/phd info and i ended up in the office of Dr. Shapiro (who's the chair of the pharm science dept) and had a talk for about 45 mins. I liked what I've heard so far.

And yea, the town's beautiful for the most part, and I'm living in La Jolla right now, so that's a compliment for sure.

oh hahaha. ic. most people say negative things about baltimore thats why i assumed the same from you from that last comment :).

wow..baltimore beautiful? nobody's ever said that before, hahaha.

note: im not bashing on baltimore. im just expressing the opinions about the city held by bmore students. :)

eddavatar said:
I think I did well. I reach most of my objectives/sell pitch to the interviewers during the conversations. What was funny is when I was talking to the students we had such a great conversation going on that we ran overtime w/o knowing and the professor had to walk in and ask if I was around. I hope the prof wasnt mad (which she didnt seem to be).
Overall, I think I did better here than I did in USC, simply because I've more time to talk.

lol...sell pitch? O_O

congrats on interviews. maybe ill see you around this august with the many other mysterious studentdoctor forum users who got in, haha.