U of PITT - Secondary -- Invite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

favorite

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else receive PITT's invite to their secondary -- Pitt was the only one I applied to who "screened". Wonder what their cutoff MCAT/GPA was??

Members don't see this ad.

I got their secondary too. They must not have a hard-set screen like say, Miami, because I got through with a ~3.0 GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medikit said:
Hey, that's excellent news though :)

Yes it is, thanks :D

Especially since I'd really love to go there. The secondary's pretty tough, but I think I've got an idea bouncing around in my head that I think I can write about.

favorite said:
Anyone else receive PITT's invite to their secondary -- Pitt was the only one I applied to who "screened". Wonder what their cutoff MCAT/GPA was??

do u guys mind posting or pming me your mcat stats? i was verified 6/30 and didnt receive a upitt secondary and it's one of my top choices - only 2 hrs from home

I was verified around july 10 or so and i still haven't received my pitt secondary.
Should i be worried?

davedavedave said:
do u guys mind posting or pming me your mcat stats? i was verified 6/30 and didnt receive a upitt secondary and it's one of my top choices - only 2 hrs from home

I wonder if the schools that screen, like Pitt, have 2 tier screening for in-state and out-of-state applicants. I believe that Pitt gives special consideration to Pennsylvania residents and 50% of their class is PA residents so I wonder?? I remember that someone mentioned that about a FL school -- this person didn't receive the secondary because they hadn't met the schools MCAT/GPA cutoff as an out-of-state applicant but....they were significantly above the in-state cutoff. Just wondering how this works...?? If that's the case, it could explain why some people are getting Pitt's invite and some are not.

yay, i just got the pitt sec email like 10 mins ago.... proabbly delayed a little cuz i was verified late compared to sdn standards

Is there a link or way to check status?

I am out of state and do not think I would be screened out (based on stats or prereqs). I was vertified around the 10th as well. It would be nice if I could see what's up...

fun8stuff said:
Is there a link or way to check status?

I am out of state and do not think I would be screened out (based on stats or prereqs). I was vertified around the 10th as well. It would be nice if I could see what's up...

Have other people out of state have received secondaries from pitt this cycle?

I got a secondary on 7/16 and I'm out of state. I was processed rather early so I don't know if that was part of it.

Last year when I was applying, I found a website of some school's career center saying that when someone from the pitt adcom had visited their school, he had said that the cutoffs for a secondary was a 25 on the mcat and a 3.0 (I can't remember the gpa cutoff but I remember the mcat cutoff). I think you'll be able to find it if you google it.

i think lots of people get secondaries from pitt. i was verified with AMCAS early last July and got the secondary at the end of August. Turned in my secondary at the end of september. Got an interview and an acceptance. And I don't even have amazing stats. So don't worry, it's still early.

hope that helps.

I was verified on 6/17 and just got an invite today. I"m out-of-state with pretty good stats, but not stratospheric. HTH

Members don't see this ad :)
what is the secondary essay?

bambii said:
Last year when I was applying, I found a website of some school's career center saying that when someone from the pitt adcom had visited their school, he had said that the cutoffs for a secondary was a 25 on the mcat and a 3.0 (I can't remember the gpa cutoff but I remember the mcat cutoff). I think you'll be able to find it if you google it.

i think lots of people get secondaries from pitt. i was verified with AMCAS early last July and got the secondary at the end of August. Turned in my secondary at the end of september. Got an interview and an acceptance. And I don't even have amazing stats. So don't worry, it's still early.

hope that helps.

You give me hope, bambii. Thank you!
I :love: Pittsburgh!

bambii said:

hope that helps.

If I can ask, what were your stats? Were you a PA resident?

Jason

i got a secondary on 7/15 and i'm out of state with 28Q/3.83, but i was processed early. be patient and don't stress. :)

Jason110 said:
If I can ask, what were your stats? Were you a PA resident?

Jason

Hi Jason,

I PMed you my stats. no, I am not a PA resident.

I was processed 7/6 and I got the Pitt secondary invite today. MCAT 33O, GPA 3.91. I am out of state.

tgerwuds said:
I was processed 7/6 and I got the Pitt secondary invite today. MCAT 33O, GPA 3.91. I am out of state.

Yay, I got it too.... our stats are the same! Did you get an auto interview?

edit: nevermind... got it about 5 hours after the secondary..

I'm sure many of you know this already, but for those of you with an interview invite, be sure to look at prior experiences interviewing at Pitt (i.e., what questions they ask, etc.) It's a great site for all your interviewing needs.

http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview/index.asp

Jason

Jason110 said:
I'm sure many of you know this already, but for those of you with an interview invite, be sure to look at prior experiences interviewing at Pitt (i.e., what questions they ask, etc.) It's a great site for all your interviewing needs.

http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview/index.asp

Jason

good call...I love that feature of SDN :thumbup:

Rec'd my UPitt secondary invite today. Processed on 7/19. 32S MCAT and >3.0 GPA.

Has anyone NOT received a secondary from UPitt? I am out-of-state with a 34Q/3.96, and I have not yet been graced by their secondary invite. Thank you for any insight on this matter.

When did you submit your AMCAS? Pitt screens (you don't have to worry with your numbers), so it might take a while for them to get to you.

Kazema said:
When did you submit your AMCAS? Pitt screens (you don't have to worry with your numbers), so it might take a while for them to get to you.

Thank you for your response. And you have asked a very relevant question. However, I was processed early (June 9th), so that does not explain why I haven't received a secondary.

Creatine said:
Thank you for your response. And you have asked a very relevant question. However, I was processed early (June 9th), so that does not explain why I haven't received a secondary.
Perhaps you could give them a call or drop them an email. I've had lots of success this cycle with getting prompt responses from Admissions offices.

A little sugar goes a long way. :D

Good luck, Creatine!

(long time lurker, first time poster)

I was processed July 27th, (32S/3.67), and Pitt's secondary invite came late last night. (i'm also out of state.) I'm still waiting on a couple of LORs and I hope they get in by the end of the month...that's still not terribly late in the cycle, do you think? (LORs are my biggest worry at the moment...)

the cover letter confuses me
if my school has a premed committee writing the letter, i STILL need to sign the CL and send it up to school before they send out the LORs, or will my school take care of this
(i had to sign a similar no-read waiver when i originally asked profs to write a lterr)

anyone? tips on cover letter?

aingeal said:
anyone? tips on cover letter?
From the Supplementary application guidlines for LORs:

Recommendations must arrive in our Admissions Office no later than January 12, 2005. Please ensure that your AMCAS name and AMCAS identification number are on each "University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Recommendation Cover Sheet" prior to submitting them to either your committee or individual faculty members. Please include a copy of these instructions which will guide them in categorizing the letter they are writing for you (Committee, Academic or Personal).

* If you have waived your right of access in writing via a committee or letter service, it is not necessary to include the enclosed recommendation cover sheet.

* The Admissions Committee will not consider letters from paid consultants.

* Our Admissions Committee would prefer receiving the evaluation and/or recommendation of the official pre-professional committee of your college. If faculty comments are not included in the body of your committee's letter, your committee should attach three (3) academic letters of recommendation (see below for academic letter criteria).

* If an official pre-professional committee does not exist at your college, three (3) academic letters, preferably from senior faculty, are required. At least two of these letters must be from science faculty.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hope this helps

yes, thank you! i just felt the whole thing was confusing and contradicting itself in places

Hey peeps,
I, like an above poster, also submitted my app early and have heard nothing for some reason. I looked on pitt's website for their admissions office contact info but couldn't find any. Could someone help me out with an email addy? I'd love you soooo much in return.

Wahooonnikon said:
Hey peeps,
I, like an above poster, also submitted my app early and have heard nothing for some reason. I looked on pitt's website for their admissions office contact info but couldn't find any. Could someone help me out with an email addy? I'd love you soooo much in return.
MSAR!!! MSAR!!! MSAR!!!

*explodes*

Having said that: [email protected]

Wahooonnikon said:
Hey peeps,

For all of those who:

1) were processed early,
2) have stats that are unlikely to be screened out, and
3) have not heard anything from UPitt yet.

I have some information that may be of assistance to you.

I called the UPitt admissions office earlier today, and even though they should have received my AMCAS application about a month ago, it turns out that they did not in fact receive it! Although I have spoken with representatives at both AMCAS and UPitt, I am still unsure whether AMCAS failed to send my application or whether UPitt misplaced my application. In any case, if you fit the above three criteria, it would be in your best interest to call UPitt as soon as possible.

Please let me know what you find out, and I will do likewise as the situation unfolds.

5. Pittsburgh
1. Describe a personal experience which resulted in a substantial moral or ethical dilemma. What was the outcome? We are reluctant to accept assertions that you have never encountered such a situation. Please do not address cheating in an academic setting.
(Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

2. The recruitment of a diverse student body is a major goal of the University of Pittsburgh's Medical School Admissions Committee. Please tell us whether facets of your life and education to date would contribute to the achievement of this goal. Such facets might include your early education, socioeconomic status, culture, race/ethnicity and work experience. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

Hi Creatine,

I am a first time poster here. I was verified on 6/16 and still had heard nothing from Pitt. I found this site and saw your advice to call the admissions office. I talked to someone there who said that There were a batch of apps that Pitt did not receive from AMCAS that had been verified around the same time. They said that they were having the apps sent via mail to the office and would let everyone in this group know about secondaries in the next week.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

Liz

EMTLiz said:
Hi Creatine,

I am a first time poster here. I was verified on 6/16 and still had heard nothing from Pitt. I found this site and saw your advice to call the admissions office. I talked to someone there who said that There were a batch of apps that Pitt did not receive from AMCAS that had been verified around the same time. They said that they were having the apps sent via mail to the office and would let everyone in this group know about secondaries in the next week.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

Liz
Thanks very much for the update! Do you happen to know how many applications AMCAS failed to send to UPitt? I imagine if the group is large enough we could demand a full or partial refund from AMCAS. After all, we paid AMCAS a hearty amount of money to deliver our applications to schools in a timely manner!

Creatine said:
Thanks very much for the update! Do you happen to know how many applications AMCAS failed to send to UPitt? I imagine if the group is large enough we could demand a full or partial refund from AMCAS. After all, we paid AMCAS a hearty amount of money to deliver our applications to schools in a timely manner!

Hey, no problem! I'm sure that you all will help me way more than I help you. I don't know about the number of applications; I only talked to someone in the admissions office at Pitt. She made it sound like the group of individuals effected was isolated to a narrow range of verification dates but I don't know exactly what those dates are. Who knows what happened from those specific times. I hear ya about AMCAS, but hopefully in a week or so we will be filling out our UPitt secondaries! :luck:

Liz

Creatine said:

Hey guys,
I also emailed Pitt, and they responded saying they'll be getting the application soon from AMCAS and will be getting in touch with me soon after that.

Also, I very much agree with the above poster, and am planning on demanding a full refund from AMCAS. We have been put at a potential disadvantage for applying early!

That aside, peace, my bros and sistas!

Haha, I just noticed that all the posts on this page so far have exclamation points!!!

I just wanted to let everyone know that I received the Pitt secondary via email this morning. :) Hope everyone else in the late batch has also heard...
and in keeping with the theme of the page!!!!!

EMTLiz, Just curious, but when was your AMCAS Processed? Hope I get an invite today!!

6/16, sorry, I should read things first...that way I could answer my own questions!!