U of Saskatchewan vs NYU (Urgent and Any input greatly apprecaited!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hanhan666

Reaction score
Hello!

I am a Chinese international student with no Canadian permanent residence nor US green card, but I will be qualified to apply for Canada PR by the end of May 2023. My scholarship from NYU justifies the living cost of living in Manhattan. I pay the same amount of money regardless I attend NYU or U of Saskatchewan.

I came back from the U of Saskatchewan learning the following: U of Saskatchewan has the highest amount of clinical experience than all other Canadian schools. (Just like how NYU is when compared to other dental schools). U of S graduate has the highest Canadian board scores than any other Canadian school.

My concern is as follows:
1. If I attend NYU and graduate as an international student without US green card nor US citizenship, will I experience a hard time getting matched into a dental residency at a US hospital or being accepted by US dental specialty program? (Canadians attending US degree will experience similar things).

2. If I go to NYU and want to specialize in Canada, will the Canadian dental specialty programs look down on my degree from NYU? If I look for jobs in Canada with an NYU degree, will Canadian hospitals and private practice look down on my US degree?

3. If I attend the U of Saskatchewan, will I be discriminated against and experience a hard time specializing or getting matched into US dental residency? How about matching to Canadian residency? (U of S is not a big-name school, will this have a huge impact on future development?)

Thanks in advance! Any comment is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

it seems as if you are more torn about where you want to practice. I can't speak about how difficult it will be to match, but it would make a difference where you want to end up practicing. A US school will prep you well for practicing in the US, just like a Canadian school will prep you well for practicing in canada. There are a good amount of Canadians that come to school in the US, but I can't imagine a lot of US students go to canada for school. A US school may give you more options and open more doors, but that choice will ultimately be yours.

It may help to speak to the schools and as the school specific questions. Good luck!

it seems as if you are more torn about where you want to practice. I can't speak about how difficult it will be to match, but it would make a difference where you want to end up practicing. A US school will prep you well for practicing in the US, just like a Canadian school will prep you well for practicing in canada. There are a good amount of Canadians that come to school in the US, but I can't imagine a lot of US students go to canada for school. A US school may give you more options and open more doors, but that choice will ultimately be yours.

It may help to speak to the schools and as the school specific questions. Good luck!
Canadian students go to the US for dental school mainly because Canadian dental school admissions are hellishly competitive, not because they want to move to the US.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
you are desperate. you post this in BootCamp admission, Bootcamp study, and NYU groups. Everyone tells you to go to the Canadian dental school, but obviously, that's not the answer you want and that's why you keep posting this. To a certain point, you have to stop. It is annoying.

Reactions: 2 users
you are desperate. you post this in BootCamp admission, Bootcamp study, and NYU groups. Everyone tells you to go to the Canadian dental school, but obviously, that's not the answer you want and that's why you keep posting this. To a certain point, you have to stop. It is annoying.
Desperation is a putrid cologne

Reactions: 1 user
I’d go to NYU, Canadian PR is not that difficult to obtain.

The answer to all your questions is No, except for #1 where if you’re aiming for a 6 year omfs, then yes, it will be difficult.

I’d go to NYU, Canadian PR is not that difficult to obtain.

The answer to all your questions is No, except for #1 where if you’re aiming for a 6 year omfs, then yes, it will be difficult.
Thank you very much!