U of T Pharmacy 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys,
so i decided to apply again next year to toronto, and i know its not my marks that didnt get me in but probably the interview. so i was wondering to those who got in (if u still check this forum) how did you answer your mmi questions? like i mean did u look at the question posed from different points of views, assess both advantages/disadvantages?? because when i did mine i simply answered it and waited for the follow up questions so im not sure in what way they wanted us to answer it. If anyone can reply to me so i can be better prepared for next time, i'd really appreciate it because I really want to get in.
thanks
I pretty much agree with cheesecake. I think my answers were along the same lines. I began with just addressing the question and why is it an issue...then I tried to look at as many different issues that I could come up with that would affect the scenario and list them to the best of my ability..(this would show them that you are capable of critically analyzing the scenario, it also helps you organize your answer, and prevent you from being biased or forget looking at the otherside of the scenario), then I explored each of the sub-issues I stated earlier and develop them... and at the end I tried to collect all the things i said together to reach some sorta of concluding statement...

it kinda looks like u are writing a paragraph... but in real it never works out to be as defined as I just stated but, it truly helps u organize ur answer because the mere fact that u are listing the different aspect of the scenario helps u retain them so, that u can explore them and not be biased. I remember, my first few minutes into the interview were the hardest as it took me LONG time to just think of different aspects that I would like to consider but, then it went well... also, I may be wrong but, I felt that each station had this one central theme on which they wanted to test u on and u CAN figure it out in some instances like confidentiality, honesty, professionalism, your morals, etc. and in all of those they wanted to see how u communicated ur ideas. also, do try think outside of the box; it shows creativity but, do it as it comes to you... don't worry if u can't think of something creative:)

Someplaces, I feel i went wrong was that, I talked a lot... i think its my weakness, whenever I am nervous, I tend to talk a lot so, I did run out of time on few of them and sometimes, I didn't give the interviewer a chance to give me prompts and that is not good. So, i guess its impotant for one to be consice..Also, i never knew that the interviewer is allowed to talk to you so, it was like my third or something station when the interviewer spoke and i realized that they can talk to you lol... I found the stations that make u talk about yourself the hardest... I completely screwed up on it...i was almost in tears but, it VERY IMPORTANT that u dont let one station screw u over...

Also, i did practice couple weeks beforehand for my interview... I just tried recording myself to sample mmi questions and see how I sounded and I also tried mock interview sessions at my school...and one key advice that my best friend gave and i think it helped me the most was tailoring ur body language based on the interviewer... like with some interviewer, I felt comfortable being all smiley and bubbly and with some, as soon as I stepped in, I could sense that they are very serious and stuff...good luck...I hope this helps :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey
Has anyone ever lived at primrose residence or knows someone that lived/lives there? From the internet I found that back in 2001 they had some issues..but how are they these days? Is it a good place to live?

get a place in kensington market! close to the pharm building and such an awesome vibrant neighbourhood. my friend lives there and i stayed there the night before my MMI and walked to the building. took about 15 min.

you must not give up hope. I heard that some people got their phone calls at end of august so there's still hope till the first day of classes :) besides as for the pcat I don't think they needed very high marks since they weighed the interview very highly so im sure it wasn't the pcat. hehe yes i'm soo excited to get in too and for phrosh week ;)
Also, to those applying next year, I was thinking maybe we can start like an online chat once the interview invites go out and we can make up questions and practice them just to bounce ideas off each other that is if anyone would be interested? :)

im down for it!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Try this workshop called ToastMasters. They came to my school once, I found their activities to be really similar to what they're testing in the MMI. Off the cuff speeches, communication activities (like the "origami station"), etc...

http://www.toastmasters.org/

I pretty much agree with cheesecake. I think my answers were along the same lines. I began with just addressing the question and why is it an issue...then I tried to look at as many different issues that I could come up with that would affect the scenario and list them to the best of my ability..(this would show them that you are capable of critically analyzing the scenario, it also helps you organize your answer, and prevent you from being biased or forget looking at the otherside of the scenario), then I explored each of the sub-issues I stated earlier and develop them... and at the end I tried to collect all the things i said together to reach some sorta of concluding statement...
Yeah, from what I remember this is right, and I think it's what I did, almost reflexively. Maybe I was helped because it's my normal nature to analyze things (to death, sometimes) and foresee advantages and disadvantages to everything.

I don't think they cared so much what your answer was, so much that they can see that you can think about it, see different sides to the issue, pick a solution, and defend it - but are also aware of potential drawbacks. They want to see that you know how to think.

I don't think I managed to order my thoughts in "hamburger paragraph" style like someone said, that's hard to do well on the fly, just that I tried to look at things from different perspectives and think out loud. Soon as you're hit with a followup question, you might have to change gears and consider something new anyway.

i agree w/ what everyone has said about how to approach the mmi interviews. i would also like to add on top of what other ppl have mentioned and share my interview "strategy".

i look at these interviews as an opportunity to sell myself. I went into the interview with the goal of a) trying to stand out and b) convincing them that i will be a great pharmacist. for example, i remember whenever there was an opportunity to talk about myself, i would go for it. obviously, I would address the QUESTION first and i tried to throw in a few things here or there about myself that related to the answer without being too obvious that i was trying to talk about myself.

and another thing that I had going for me was I was really honest. Never once did I think about what "they" wanted to hear. I just answered how my heart felt and I knew that it was a risk. BUT i think the interview committee appreciates honesty. Also, they made the whole mmi process very relaxing for us, so it wasn't intimidating. To me, I felt like I was just having a casual conversation with someone.

and finally, this may sound lame, but go into the interview feeling passionate about the whole process and be all fired up and be ready to defend your case. I remember I was so pumped for the interview and couldn't wait to speak up. show them how much this means to you and they will feel it.

I had my interview in March when I asked for it to be in May. I didn't prepare prior to getting my interview offer and I couldn't prepare much in a week till my interview because of school work.

Preparations I did was read the MMI lecture slides and information provided in detail so i could get a sense of what the faculty wanted and the procedures so there would be no surprises on the day of. I also read upon elaborate job descriptions of pharmacists and the US healthcare reforms and its effect to the pharmacies (I thought these were going to be among the interview questions). Another very helpful thing I did was grab lunch with a friend who was already in 1st year which did wonders to help me stay calm.

I know its absolutely terrible, but I tried to go into the interview with a massive ego and a sense of arrogance, reassuring myself that I am better than the other candidates. This gave me an extra boost of confidence that I really needed. This worked for me, but I'm not sure if its effective for others.

Thanks alot guys. I really appreciate ALL of your responses:D
Since ive been through the mmi once now, I feel sooo excited for the next one and can't wait! espically since now I know how to answer their questions. I just wish mmi wasn't so far away lol

i agree w/ what everyone has said about how to approach the mmi interviews. i would also like to add on top of what other ppl have mentioned and share my interview "strategy".

i look at these interviews as an opportunity to sell myself. I went into the interview with the goal of a) trying to stand out and b) convincing them that i will be a great pharmacist. for example, i remember whenever there was an opportunity to talk about myself, i would go for it. obviously, I would address the QUESTION first and i tried to throw in a few things here or there about myself that related to the answer without being too obvious that i was trying to talk about myself.

and another thing that I had going for me was I was really honest. Never once did I think about what "they" wanted to hear. I just answered how my heart felt and I knew that it was a risk. BUT i think the interview committee appreciates honesty. Also, they made the whole mmi process very relaxing for us, so it wasn't intimidating. To me, I felt like I was just having a casual conversation with someone.

and finally, this may sound lame, but go into the interview feeling passionate about the whole process and be all fired up and be ready to defend your case. I remember I was so pumped for the interview and couldn't wait to speak up. show them how much this means to you and they will feel it.

agree 100% here
1. honesty
2. passion
3. confidence

you have these 3, interview becomes a piece of cake

Try this workshop called ToastMasters. They came to my school once, I found their activities to be really similar to what they're testing in the MMI. Off the cuff speeches, communication activities (like the "origami station"), etc...

http://www.toastmasters.org/

toastmasters helps for sure
and once you get enough confidence, try speaking to someone in the subway (maybe not during rush hour because everyone is cranky at that point) and getting to know more about that person

it kinda looks like u are writing a paragraph... but in real it never works out to be as defined as I just stated but, it truly helps u organize ur answer because the mere fact that u are listing the different aspect of the scenario helps u retain them so, that u can explore them and not be biased. I remember, my first few minutes into the interview were the hardest as it took me LONG time to just think of different aspects that I would like to consider but, then it went well... also, I may be wrong but, I felt that each station had this one central theme on which they wanted to test u on and u CAN figure it out in some instances like confidentiality, honesty, professionalism, your morals, etc. and in all of those they wanted to see how u communicated ur ideas. also, do try think outside of the box; it shows creativity but, do it as it comes to you... don't worry if u can't think of something creative:)

Someplaces, I feel i went wrong was that, I talked a lot... i think its my weakness, whenever I am nervous, I tend to talk a lot so, I did run out of time on few of them and sometimes, I didn't give the interviewer a chance to give me prompts and that is not good. So, i guess its impotant for one to be consice..Also, i never knew that the interviewer is allowed to talk to you so, it was like my third or something station when the interviewer spoke and i realized that they can talk to you lol... I found the stations that make u talk about yourself the hardest... I completely screwed up on it...i was almost in tears but, it VERY IMPORTANT that u dont let one station screw u over...

Also, i did practice couple weeks beforehand for my interview... I just tried recording myself to sample mmi questions and see how I sounded and I also tried mock interview sessions at my school...and one key advice that my best friend gave and i think it helped me the most was tailoring ur body language based on the interviewer... like with some interviewer, I felt comfortable being all smiley and bubbly and with some, as soon as I stepped in, I could sense that they are very serious and stuff...good luck...I hope this helps :)

sample mmi questions? where did you find those?

Members don't see this ad :)
No one has broken the confidentiality agreement.

There's also a group that published a few journal articles on the effectiveness of MMI interviews ... these papers had quite a few official examples in them (10-20 I think).

Btw i saw on PHARMSIS that U of T student numbers are posted at the front page

well mine is... it was before

U of T student number : not assigned yet

then theres a number there now

Mine's still not assigned, but I'm at the bottom of the alphabet...

I hope it's there Monday...

Btw... Do we have to go campus to get a u of t e-mail? How does that work?

yeah i got my student # on Friday..except ROSI is closed at night...yeah i'm wondering about the e-mail thing as well

Are you near the top or bottom of the alphabet?

Are you near the top or bottom of the alphabet?

im not too sure about this
but..from i can remember for mine at uoft, you need to goto uoft library and activate your account in a computer there.

hmm....the package thing that they will send us by the end of july, that should have everything that we need to know what to do.

-----
i just checked my rosi.
chm138 and chm247 are exempted for me already...
more exemptions to come !

im not too sure about this

My last name starts with a Y so thats why I was thinking I didn't get my student ID yet.

BTW, do we have to hand in the exemption form personally or can we e-mail or fax it in?

It sucks that I have to go to campus to get an e-mail. How the hell am I gonna get there before it closes?

My last name starts with a Y so thats why I was thinking I didn't get my student ID yet.

BTW, do we have to hand in the exemption form personally or can we e-mail or fax it in?

It sucks that I have to go to campus to get an e-mail. How the hell am I gonna get there before it closes?

I believe you have to mail the exemptions. It said faxes would not suffice.

I'm trying to figure out what they want for the Stats exemption. I was looking at the form we have to fill and it says something about notes in the attachment. Do they expect us to keep the notes we got from stats? What should the detailed outline point out?

I emailed the contact they stated, but it seems shes out until the 21st.

I believe you have to mail the exemptions. It said faxes would not suffice.

I'm trying to figure out what they want for the Stats exemption. I was looking at the form we have to fill and it says something about notes in the attachment. Do they expect us to keep the notes we got from stats? What should the detailed outline point out?

I think they mean see the attached notes with more information on getting a stats exemption...

"To be eligible for the PHM122H (Introduction to Statistics) exemption your course(s) must include:
a) Correlation and Linear Regression as covered topics
b) Experimental Design and/or Observational studies as covered topics
c) a laboratory component including the use of statistical computer software such as SPSS, SAS, or Minitab (Excel is not sufficient)."

Last edited:
Hey guys, I want to make sure I've read this right. We don't have to apply for ORGO 1 exemption right. They just look @ out transcripts for that one?
Just got a place in Toronto last night so everything is falling into place!

I think they mean see the attached notes with more information on getting a stats exemption...

"To be eligible for the PHM122H (Introduction to Statistics) exemption your course(s) must include:
a) Correlation and Linear Regression as covered topics
b) Experimental Design and/or Observational studies as covered topics
c) a laboratory component including the use of statistical computer software such as SPSS, SAS, or Minitab (Excel is not sufficient)."

Yeah I did regression, the designs and SAS, so I'm hoping they give me the credit. The course was super easy but really boring.

As far as exemptions go, what kind of thing do they want submitted as an outline? Reading the form, it sounds like the brief summary given in the student course calendar is only good for the organic chem exemption. For everything else they recommend a detailed outline. Do they mean like a course syllabus, what's covered week by week?

my last name is in the beginning of the alphabet..i also got an o-chem exception it seems... tuition is a killer over 13,000:eek:

Why is the tuition so much higher at UofT compared to other pharmacy schools?

LOL look at the pharmacy building. Thats where some of the money goes :p haha

Anywayz yea my last name is at D so that probably expalins

Why is the tuition so much higher at UofT compared to other pharmacy schools?

Cause in our province, the tuition for professional schools isn't regulated like undergrad schools.

what does The "F" "Y" and "S" represent on the timetable?

Does anyone know the tuition cost for the 2010-2011 cycle for a full course load? On the U of T website it only lists the 2009-2010 fees, which are about 12k a year. 12k is about how much tuition is at UBC Pharmacy, but someone above said tuition is almost double that of other schools?

Wow that sucks. It's almost twice of some of the other schools.

Fall, Spring, and Full Year (two semesters)?

Our building was like 75 million dollars. That's probably one reason.

Still, it beats the **** out of the US. Not only are we cheaper than them, but we actually have the best pharmacy building in the world.

Does anyone know the tuition cost for the 2010-2011 cycle for a full course load? On the U of T website it only lists the 2009-2010 fees, which are about 12k a year. 12k is about how much tuition is at UBC Pharmacy, but someone above said tuition is almost double that of other schools?

It's around 13k and it doesn't change even with a reduced course load.

I heard it was like 3k at Saskatchewan. http://redbooks.sus.mcgill.ca/index.php/University_of_Saskatchewan_Pharmacy

Does anyone have their timetable for next year already?
I just got off the waitlist last Friday and have until this Friday to decide.
I guess everyone is on a standard schedule since the curriculum is the same for everyone, but do all the 240 students attend the same lecture or are they split into smaller ones?

this is the exact # off my account $13,973.68...a re-donk-culous amount:annoyed:

Do they expect us to keep the notes we got from stats? What should the detailed outline point out?

I'm wondering that myself. I'm not really sure what kind of thing they want.

So... lol I know u guys are talking about all the pharmacy stuff... but...

I just liked to know what the latest news on the WL was- I reallllly hope they didn't stop :(

Wow. Tuition is 1k more than I thought it would be.

I definitely gotta get a work study job.

I'm probably also gonna tutor high school students on the weekend. It's definitely a good source of extra income. You just gotta review your basic bio/physics/chem or math.

Last edited:
Someone named "BenJohn" sent me this private message:

you ****ing dickless crap****er. you ever ****ing dis up waterloo agasin I will ****ing cut you up you fu king **** wh*re. ******* U CUM WAD/ **** U **** FACE

PS anyone get their packages yet?? I WANT TO FIGURE OUT SCHOOL STUFF AND I CAN'T