U Penn or Bryn Mawr?? Please advise. ( :

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marygwendelyn

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just got accepted into these two programs. Till now BM has been my first choice, but now I was hoping to get as much information as possible to make my final decision.

If any of you SDN's have any insight on these programs or why one program would be better (in your opinion) than the other, please let me know what you think. That would be great appreciated.

Many thanks ahead of time. ( :

-marygwendelyn

Members don't see this ad.

marygwendelyn said:
Hello Everyone,

I just got accepted into these two programs. Till now BM has been my first choice, but now I was hoping to get as much information as possible to make my final decision.

If any of you SDN's have any insight on these programs or why one program would be better (in your opinion) than the other, please let me know what you think. That would be great appreciated.

Many thanks ahead of time. ( :

-marygwendelyn
I would go to BM for the prereqs then do the special science program at penn during the application year to get more science under your belt. Bryn Mawr has an EXCELLENT reputation and I hear is has excellent support system. When its comes to post bacc, both programs are the same in my eye. BM is full time during the day. Penn its hard to take all the classes in a year (at least in my eyes) plus classes are at night. And then you have to take classes during the day to sometimes make your schedule work, then its more expensive b/c you are paying full tuition as a regular Penn Undergrad and its just as expensive as BM. I didn't apply to BM and maybe I should have but I don't think I'd get in with my low undergrad GPA plus I already had chem/ochem, granted that was 7 years ago though. Plus I had a funky schedule worked out as well. Maybe I should apply ... but if I had BM or Penn, I'd chose BM for the support system and classes schedule/structure!

Don't even lose a moment's sleep over it. Go to Bryn Mawr.

Smaller classes, shorter program, better advising, more linkages, a higher percentage chance of getting into med school. I can't think of a single category in which Penn's program is better than Bryn Mawr's.

P.S. Despite the previous poster's suggestion, you won't need to take advanced science classes at Penn if you do the Bryn Mawr program. Going to Bryn Mawr is almost a guarantee of getting into med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanx PEMULIS for your input. I must admit, eventhough BM has been my first choice until now, your opinion really solidified my original thoughts about the program. I really appreciate the advice.

By the way, I remember you answered one of my earlier threads a while back ago (maybe in Dec or early January)... are you a student at BM, in another postbac program, or are u in medschool now? Just a bit curious. ( :

Thanx again.

-marygwendelyn ( :

Thanx a lot for the advice. It is a great help!

Take care and best wishes.

-marygwendelyn

Pemulis said:

Smaller classes, shorter program, better advising, more linkages, a higher percentage chance of getting into med school. I can't think of a single category in which Penn's program is better than Bryn Mawr's.

P.S. Despite the previous poster's suggestion, you won't need to take advanced science classes at Penn if you do the Bryn Mawr program. Going to Bryn Mawr is almost a guarantee of getting into med school.

No you don't need to but I know people who have done it just because they wanted to take upper level sciences :) It was "suggested" to me, just passing on the information that I was told.

marygwendelyn said:
Thanx PEMULIS for your input. I must admit, eventhough BM has been my first choice until now, your opinion really solidified my original thoughts about the program. I really appreciate the advice.

By the way, I remember you answered one of my earlier threads a while back ago (maybe in Dec or early January)... are you a student at BM, in another postbac program, or are u in medschool now? Just a bit curious. ( :

Thanx again.

-marygwendelyn ( :

No problem.

I'm starting the post-bac program at Goucher in June. I looked at the Bryn Mawr program too, and was very impressed with it. If I hadn't gotten into Goucher, I would have gone there.

Good luck, and congratulations.

I am gonna bump this one 'cause I want more info on U Penn

I concur. I attended BM as an undergraduate and majored in biology and spent a LOT of time with the post-bacc students studying and hanging out. I just did the special science program at penn and learned a lot about that program as well. I won't knock upenn specifically cause it has done worlds for me, but if you got into the Bryn Mawr program, you are absolutely set. Jodi takes care of the PB students so well - i dont think there is any program like it in the country... and I'm not just saying that cause I was an undergrad there. I can't help but compare my post-bacc professors to those at BM - but there really is no comparison.

Pemulis said: