U Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

temujim

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know what the deal is with U Penn? Their web site doesn't work, and they haven't responded to emails. A pointer to their app or someone who writes back would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Temujim

Members don't see this ad.

I called them up and they sent the app right out. It was the shortest & easiest non-ERAS app I had (other than NCCP which has no officialy app form....). Their website hasn't worked since I visited the first time (March or April)....

Thanks. Just reminds me why I'm not going into surgery this month - not a spare moment during normal business hours.

Though I must say the easiest non-ERAS hands down is Pitt. No app - just send in CV, personal statement, and 3 LOR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiousity - Why are there programs that aren't participating in ERAS and how do you know which ones aren't going through ERAS but are accepting applications?

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not 100% positive that the below is totally correct, so someone please fix any mistakes..... But here's how I see it:

One can always check out FREIDA to see who has open slots; however, programs typically do a very poor job of keeping this info up-to-date. This seems to be especially true of whether or not programs have open slots for the upcoming cycle. There were a couple of programs (Northwestern and Wake, if memory serves) who listed open slot(s) when in fact they have none.

Once you register for ERAS, you can go to the Programs page and search Radiation Oncology by state. Searching North Carolina, for example, shows a link for UNC (they participate) and greyed-out sections for Duke and Wake, stating that they don't participate in ERAS. What they don't say is that Wake has no spots. Same for Northwestern. You really just need to phone the non-ERAS programs to find out about open spots & to obtain up-to-date apps.

Mostly, this is due to PDs who don't know what's going on in their programs. I'm currently doing an offsite rotation at Northwestern and was told that there would be 2 open slots for this cycle. At the end of the first week, the PD told me that she had miscalculated and that there were NONE....

Hope this helped....