U Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pip00

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tell me what gpa/mcat would make you competitive at their medschool, and what about their md/phd program?
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

pip00 said:
Tell me what gpa/mcat would make you competitive at their medschool, and what about their md/phd program?
thanks.

last year's average GPA was 3.5 and average mcat was 27.9 so those are some numbers to ponder over. UVM really likes non-trads and mature applicants...as for the MD/PhD program, I have no idea.

gintien said:
last year's average GPA was 3.5 and average mcat was 27.9 so those are some numbers to ponder over. UVM really likes non-trads and mature applicants...as for the MD/PhD program, I have no idea.
wow, that makes it like one of the least selective schools!?

does it mean if i get like 3.5 and 35, i'd be a shoe in?

Members don't see this ad :)
pip00 said:

heh, no...its not all about numbers...all schools, not just UVM, also look at motivation, dedication, your EC's, etc in determining whether or not to grant you an interview.

pip00 said:

Hey Dicken's fan: sounds like you would be a strong candidate at many schools--now back off the one place at which I am actually "competitive" ;)

i have a 3.51 science gpa, 3.56 overall gpa, a 29Q mcat and got rejected today :(

Okay, that's not what I wanted to hear. Sorry HC

sorry i was just making a theoretical question. i havent even taken my mcat yet. and i'm not a dickens fan.

as for selectivity, if your instate your almost guaranteed to get an interview...as for out-of-staers, they usually interview about 15% of those that applied (3200 applied) and accept about a third of those interviewde

Pip, just kidding. I would be in big trouble if I tried to pick fights with everyone who was better than me! So, no Dickens huh. South Park?

HC05nmd said:
i have a 3.51 science gpa, 3.56 overall gpa, a 29Q mcat and got rejected today :(

sorry to hear that. can i ask if that's pre or post interview?

post interview according to the mdapplicants page

Members don't see this ad :)
gintien said:
no word from iowa yet gd?
No, thanks for asking Gin. I think they have decided not to waste the postage and they are just yelling their rejection to me from IC,IA :laugh:

gdbaby said:
No, thanks for asking Gin. I think they have decided not to waste the postage and they are just yelling their rejection to me from IC,IA :laugh:

hahaha...i hope you hear good news soon :thumbup: :luck:

gintien, i am not in-state. i am a ny resident. i thought uvermont was easier to get into out of state than most sunys in-state, and at the same time i like the weather better in vermont than in ny, i live 30minutes from northern vt anyway.
hdbaby, i was reading 1 novel by dickens at the time that i picked my screen name.

hey, for those that interviewed at vermont already:

how long did u hear something back after you were complete and the status said "under review"??

please, someone respond....

gdbaby said:

thanks. sorry -- i try really hard not to read people's mdapps profiles. can i also ask when you interviewed? i was there about 2 weeks ago... hopefully getting a response in another week according to mary.

gdbaby said:

thanks. sorry -- i try really hard not to read people's mdapps profiles. can i also ask when you interviewed? i was there about 2 weeks ago... hopefully getting a response in another week according to mary.

Joonie said:
how long did u hear something back after you were complete and the status said "under review"??

It probably took 3 weeks from when it said under review til an invite.

theunderdog said:
hey, for those that interviewed at vermont already:

please, someone respond....
interviewed early oct. waitlisted today.

LessThanJake said:
interviewed early oct. waitlisted today.

thanks for responding jake...

like at the end of 3 weeks?

i am entering the 3rd week now....

my file was complete and under review on oct.14

For those of you who heard back already post interview, how did you hear? email, call or snail mail?

thanks

once my file is complete and under review, about how long did it take you guys to hear back for an interview?

i'm entering my third week now...

sorry to keep on re-posting this...
but benjamin--
once my file is complete and under review, about how long did it take you guys to hear back for an interview?

theunderdog said:
sorry to keep on re-posting this...
but benjamin--

I was complete 8/11, invited 9/7. However, they are probably busier now so it could be even longer.

jrdnbenjamin said:
I was complete 8/11, invited 9/7. However, they are probably busier now so it could be even longer.

I read in post on this thread someone with 3.5+ GPA and 29Q didn't get in at UVM? That worries me a little. My GPA and MCAT score - both are below those two numbers. I am going there this week for an interview. We'll see how I do it. Making me nervous though because I am really interested in that school.

Best wishes all.

jrdnbenjamin said:
Interviewed 9/22, waitlisted 10/27. Out of state. Notification via letter.

i got waitlisted today too. i'm really sad...i would actually like to go there. does anyone know if they just waitlist everyone out of state? how many do they usually accept off of the waitlist?

the weird thing was that my letter was already open when i opened the mailbox today. like half of the envelope was already torn. someone's playing an evil trick on me...no treat for them!

but still...happy halloween!!!! :)

shahab said:
I read in post on this thread someone with 3.5+ GPA and 29Q didn't get in at UVM? That worries me a little. My GPA and MCAT score - both are below those two numbers. I am going there this week for an interview. We'll see how I do it. Making me nervous though because I am really interested in that school.

Best wishes all.

UVM is one of those schools that once you get an interview, your numbers dont matter much so dont worry about your grades...just wow them at the interview...GL shabab!

gdbaby said:

aww :(

sorry -- i try really hard not to read people's mdapps pages. anyway i just got the letter today...

i'm waitlisted. i have no idea what tier i'm in though. i wonder if i should call and ask...

Their email staus check is really helpful and they get back to you quickly. It's a nice non-confrontational way of saying you're interested!

tootsies! said:
i got waitlisted today too. i'm really sad...i would actually like to go there. does anyone know if they just waitlist everyone out of state? how many do they usually accept off of the waitlist?

the weird thing was that my letter was already open when i opened the mailbox today. like half of the envelope was already torn. someone's playing an evil trick on me...no treat for them!

but still...happy halloween!!!! :)

they waitlist the majority of people from out of state...the numbers they take off the waitlist varies from year to year...last year, not many people got off the top tier waitlist but in previous years theyve gotten to the bottom tier waitlist so its hard to say (they structure their waitlist into top third, middle third and lower third sections)...theyll let you know where you stand on the waitlist sometime in april or march? i dont remember.

hey!! :) after actually having read this entire thread... we're all waitlisted. (well not "all" but you know). does anyone who was waitlisted know what tier they're in? my letter doesn't say anything about that. they told us on interview day that they only skim from the top 1/3 tier.

Joonie said:
hey!! :) after actually having read this entire thread... we're all waitlisted. (well not "all" but you know). does anyone who was waitlisted know what tier they're in? my letter doesn't say anything about that. they told us on interview day that they only skim from the top 1/3 tier.

they tell you what tier youre in after theyre done interviewing everyone so not until the end of the interview cycle...and yeah, they only skimmed from the top 1/3 last year :(

gintien said:
they tell you what tier youre in after theyre done interviewing everyone so not until the end of the interview cycle...and yeah, they only skimmed from the top 1/3 last year :(

yeah basically, u have to wait until i get my interview... which will be in february....

i should've called every friggin day after my interview - i am interested in going there! i just didn't want to bother them. even though she said it was ok to do so. i wanted to wait for the right time. crap.

I am glad that many of y'all seem to have a realistic perspective on UVM. I interviewed there in February, and had an AMAZING interview. My waitlist letter told me that I would have to wait until May to find out what tier I was in, but Mary in the office told me in March that I was "in a VERY good place on the top tier." She sure sounded enthusuastic--and she told me that "as soon as something happened" she'd let me know!

Anyway, to make a long story short, despite my supposed "great standing" on the top tier, nothing came out of UVM for me. Fortunately, another med school took me late in the summer off their WL, and I happily accepted. I DEFINITELY got the work-up though from UVM. Kinda left me with a sour taste in my mouth, just because of how much they talked up the "top-tier" in that office. And then they never even sent me a letter telling me that the wait was over. They sure lost interest in me fast, cuz I never heard from them again.....anyway, not to rain on anyone's parade, but just trying to tell you guys to be very realistic about UVM's WL and take what they tell you with a grain of salt, despite how amazingly nice they are.

redsox24 said:
I am glad that many of y'all seem to have a realistic perspective on UVM. I interviewed there in February, and had an AMAZING interview. My waitlist letter told me that I would have to wait until May to find out what tier I was in, but Mary in the office told me in March that I was "in a VERY good place on the top tier." She sure sounded enthusuastic--and she told me that "as soon as something happened" she'd let me know!

Anyway, to make a long story short, despite my supposed "great standing" on the top tier, nothing came out of UVM for me. Fortunately, another med school took me late in the summer off their WL, and I happily accepted. I DEFINITELY got the work-up though from UVM. Kinda left me with a sour taste in my mouth, just because of how much they talked up the "top-tier" in that office. And then they never even sent me a letter telling me that the wait was over. They sure lost interest in me fast, cuz I never heard from them again.....anyway, not to rain on anyone's parade, but just trying to tell you guys to be very realistic about UVM's WL and take what they tell you with a grain of salt, despite how amazingly nice they are.

thanks so much redsox, i think it's something we really need to hear. i don't wanna get my hopes up based (partially) on niceties.

for anyone still wondering about the turn around time at UVM....

I interviewed Oct. 11, received a response Oct. 28 via e-mail.

HC05nmd said:

Really? im so sorry. are you a VT resident?

hey awake -
" ... mediocrity prevails ..."

Are you kidding me? 36 + 3.85 overall (3.97 BCMP) from an Ivy League school? Sounds pretty mediocre to me.

Just recently got an invite from Vermont, but I'm an out-of-stater. I'm not eager to spend a ton of money to fly from CA to try out for a waitlist spot (if others on SDN are corrent). Can anyone persuade me to go either way?

someperson said:
Just recently got an invite from Vermont, but I'm an out-of-stater. I'm not eager to spend a ton of money to fly from CA to try out for a waitlist spot (if others on SDN are corrent). Can anyone persuade me to go either way?

If you have other interviews, perhaps you could call uvm and delay your interview date instead of withdrawing from there. I am personally not worried about waitlist - I am staying positive. If I do get waitlisted..so be it. But I am not gonna cancel my interview based on that fear.

But thats just my opinion which maybe drastically different than others.

S.

I have had all of my stuff in for almost a month and a half... I have also emailed them to see what the deal is and they have not responded. They must think I dont deserve their attention.

laboholic said:
I have had all of my stuff in for almost a month and a half... I have also emailed them to see what the deal is and they have not responded. They must think I dont deserve their attention.
They took a whole day to get back to me (10/28) and told me that my app was complete and would be going for review shortly. I will take "shortly" to mean in the next 3 months.

someperson said:

tough call. ask yourself: how much money do you have and what do you have to lose by going?

someperson said:
I am going to every interview I can. I am going to yours if you don't go.