U Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
gdbaby said:
I am going to every interview I can. I am going to yours if you don't go.

LOL. yeah, i second that.

if anyone is not going to their interviews, let me know. i'll go in your place...

Members don't see this ad.

someperson said:
Just recently got an invite from Vermont, but I'm an out-of-stater. I'm not eager to spend a ton of money to fly from CA to try out for a waitlist spot (if others on SDN are corrent). Can anyone persuade me to go either way?

OK, why did you apply to this school if you arent even sure if you will go to the interview?.. sounds like a big waste of money in the first place.

beponychick said:
Really? im so sorry. are you a VT resident?

no, i am a MA resident

FYI for the other posters
I was Complete 9/5, interviewed 9/29, rejected 10/31 post interview via snail mail (almost 4 weeks turnaround exactly--the letter was dated 10/28)

Sorry I am so slow to reply! I've actually been busy at work lately and can't get on SDN much.

I think it was the interview that did me in...we had a pretty good conversation...but I think I talked too fast and probably rambled too much...I'm chalking it up to it being my first interview, not much I can do now. But not even waitlisted, that hurts. Got my fingers crossed for Drexel tho :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know how strict they are w/ the one time rescheduling only? They gave me the 15th, but I couldn't go b/c Im flying out to an interview taht day and then gave me the 29th...and i already confirmed...But that is the end of thanksgiving weekend and i checked the prices and its like 500-800....

Do you think they will let me reschedule again...b/c I can't afford that right now...I thought it would only be like 300. Im from CA btw.

ANy input would be great.

Thanks!

HC05nmd said:
no, i am a MA resident

FYI for the other posters
I was Complete 9/5, interviewed 9/29, rejected 10/31 post interview via snail mail (almost 4 weeks turnaround exactly--the letter was dated 10/28)

Sorry I am so slow to reply! I've actually been busy at work lately and can't get on SDN much.

I think it was the interview that did me in...we had a pretty good conversation...but I think I talked too fast and probably rambled too much...I'm chalking it up to it being my first interview, not much I can do now. But not even waitlisted, that hurts. Got my fingers crossed for Drexel tho :luck:

oh ****. that's exactly what i did for albany. i was overcompensating for my blah interview at drexel. i hope drexel didn't think i was blah and that albany didn't think i was cracked out...

Hmm. Just checked my UVM status page (I do this every morning - just another example of the OCD this process causes), and there used to be a date on my page. Actually, there was originally a date of like 9/10, then 9/27. Now there's no date. Is that a sign I should be expecting my next piece of firestarter (aka rejection)? Or should I be hopeful that it's being re-reviewed for a possible interview?

ShyRem said:
Hmm. Just checked my UVM status page (I do this every morning - just another example of the OCD this process causes), and there used to be a date on my page. Actually, there was originally a date of like 9/10, then 9/27. Now there's no date. Is that a sign I should be expecting my next piece of firestarter (aka rejection)? Or should I be hopeful that it's being re-reviewed for a possible interview?
Mine has no date but says that my application is complete and under review and that I should hear something in the next few weeks. Does yours have any message ShyRem?

ShyRem said:

Same thing. I used to have 9/24 there. What date did you have?
It's probably just a computer thing, they may have taken out a date from all the pages. When Buffalo made their decision, the page actually said "Final decision rendered."

gdbaby said:
Mine has no date but says that my application is complete and under review and that I should hear something in the next few weeks. Does yours have any message ShyRem?
Mine has said 'Your file is COMPLETE and UNDER REVIEW. You will be contacted in the next several weeks regarding your application status' ever since 9/1. But like I said, there used to be a couple of dates underneath that in italics like 'Last updated 9/27' or something like that. Now there's no italics and no date.

ShyRem said:
Mine has said 'Your file is COMPLETE and UNDER REVIEW. You will be contacted in the next several weeks regarding your application status' ever since 9/1. But like I said, there used to be a couple of dates underneath that in italics like 'Last updated 9/27' or something like that. Now there's no italics and no date.

Same here...I had that application complete and under review...nest few eeks meesage since the first week of August. And now the little updated message is gone.

Does this lack of italic bode well for applicants? or is it simply another premonition of more anguish to come?

ShyRem said:
Shy, you are so perceptive and that's why you will be a good doctor (not to mention that you will be studying with me and that's NEVER a bad thing! :) ). Mine is lacking dates now too. Maybe we are in the next batch. Hope you guys don't snore so we can share a hotel room. :oops:

Mine is missing dates too. I find it hard to believe that everyone on SDN would be rejected/invited to interview at the same time (especially the latter). So maybe it's nothing, if it is anything, I bet it's a rejection. Darn, I really think I would have liked the school too.

I did interview and received a wait list letter yesterday...and my web page says the same thing and the day vanished as well...

Members don't see this ad :)
Kitra101 said:
I did interview and received a wait list letter yesterday...and my web page says the same thing and the day vanished as well...
Okay, so it's probably nothing. But I did love the mystery of it all. Was it Professor Plum in the Billards Room with a wrench? Alas, a computer glitch.

i want to be at the top of the waitlist. skim me! skim me!

Kitra101 said:

I am going to UVM tonight. Any last minute interview tips? Also, do you interview with one interviewer only? Typically its 2 interviewers at other schools.

In the original email, they told me to show up at 11:15AM. Last night I logged on to their site and it says 9:15AM. I am glad I checked the website because I didn't get any email or anything from them about the changes.

Best wishes all. This is a stressful process and we are all in this together.
S.

Hey guys,

I emailed them and they told me I was in a pile that could possibly lead to an interview. I just checked my status page and it said I was invited for an interview. I did not get an email or anything else. I was bored and just happened to look.

Alex05 said:
Hey guys,

I emailed them and they told me I was in a pile that could possibly lead to an interview. I just checked my status page and it said I was invited for an interview. I did not get an email or anything else. I was bored and just happened to look.

Unlike other schools, I think its very important to check their website everyday for any status change. After I submitted the secondary, I just thought they would email me one way or the other. Then one day, I noticed they had some questions regarding my courses and thus I was not even 'complete'. I called them, sorted things out and few weeks after that I got the interview invite.

What is the deal with the secondary? I have yet to receive it?

Hey,

I was complete there at the begining of September and just got an interview today - so about 7-8 weeks.

The interview date isn't for almost another 3 months, so hopefully I will have an acceptance before then.

ShyRem said:
I AM checking every day. No change.

yeah man. i was complete on oct.14 after aug mcat scores came out.

how long shold i wait before hearing somethign? any guesses?

when i called uvm today, they said before the end of november and that there were several people ahead of me. so how long should i wait then?

dang, underdog, if I haven't heard and I was complete 9/1, you've got a LOOOOOOOOOONG wait ahead of you.

Well, they have one interview with one person. The whole thing is really laid back and if you get a chance (i.e. if you are in the later 11:15 interview group) sit in on the morning class (its right next to the interview waiting area). That should give you a pretty good of how UVM looks at the whole medical education process.

As for checkin time, they have 3 groups of people interviewing each day, each groups starts and ends at different times.

Hope that helps and goodluck.

So, I logged into there system, and I noticed my application was complete? I don't recall sending in a secondary application. Things are getting weird

Frank

frankrizzo18 said:
So, I logged into there system, and I noticed my application was complete? I don't recall sending in a secondary application. Things are getting weird

Frank
Oooo we're back to mystery! Do you think it is Cl. Mustard in the study with a rope?

ShyRem said:
dang, underdog, if I haven't heard and I was complete 9/1, you've got a LOOOOOOOOOONG wait ahead of you.

wtf? u were complete on 9/1 and u've heard nothing???

nothing after my 'you're complete and under review' message, underdog. My status page has only changed by the date in italics on the bottom. So either I've been reviewed like 4 times or they don't make decisions in order. Or I'm in a 'pre-interview hold' pile and they just won't tell me. Oh, hell... who knows what they do. My application is probably being used as a trivet for their morning coffee cake.

(mmmm.... coffee cake..... hmmmm..... wonder if I have enough sour cream to make fresh coffee cake? I know I have pecans.... crap. Gotta thaw the butter. And not enough sour cream. Bummer. Gotta go to the store tomorrow.)

ShyRem said:
nothing after my 'you're complete and under review' message, underdog. My status page has only changed by the date in italics on the bottom. So either I've been reviewed like 4 times or they don't make decisions in order. Or I'm in a 'pre-interview hold' pile and they just won't tell me. Oh, hell... who knows what they do. My application is probably being used as a trivet for their morning coffee cake.

(mmmm.... coffee cake..... hmmmm..... wonder if I have enough sour cream to make fresh coffee cake? I know I have pecans.... crap. Gotta thaw the butter. And not enough sour cream. Bummer. Gotta go to the store tomorrow.)
HA! I've been waiting for you to appear Shy! your app is for the coffee cake, mine is for the coffee. I imagine they drink a Kenyan AA out there in Burlington. As for Colorado, "Chock full 'O' Nuts"

I take my kids to karate class every night. Tonight was demo team for my girl (she's one belt away from black!) and regular class for my boy (with escrima stick work).

ShyRem said:
I take my kids to karate class every night. Tonight was demo team for my girl (she's one belt away from black!) and regular class for my boy (with escrima stick work).
HELLOOOOO??? Why aren't your kids out here kicking Colorado's ass?

And don't give me that Mr. Miagi bs about karate not being used for fighting. Lady, you and I need help!

ShyRem said:

wow, why dont u call them?

And my girl is really awfully good with a pair of nunchucks, her bo staff, kamas, and her grappling skills are terrific. Hey, she's little, cute, and wiry -- they'll never know what hit 'em!!

underdog, I'm not the only one who's been complete for a long time. Some folks who were complete early september are JUST getting interview invites! I'm patient.

Ok, I'm not patient. But i'm trying to change that bad trait. One med school at a time.

I turned in the secondary and payment at the end of July, and therefore was complete as soon as they received them and posted them in the beginning of August and I've heard nothing yet either...

You have to remember: there is the Ben and Jerry's factory just up the road. It is hard to sort through apps when your face is a quart of Cherry Garcia!

shahab said:
If you have other interviews, perhaps you could call uvm and delay your interview date instead of withdrawing from there. I am personally not worried about waitlist - I am staying positive. If I do get waitlisted..so be it. But I am not gonna cancel my interview based on that fear.

But thats just my opinion which maybe drastically different than others.

S.
Well, I'm going for it. Vermont seems to be a good school, and I'm not exactly swimming in acceptances either. :)

Has anyone had any luck calling them? I called today to check on my status and got a message telling me to check the applicant center online. I chickened out and hung up. I want to find out if I've even been reviewed yet, but I don't want to bother them. :-/

annamarie said:
Has anyone had any luck calling them? I called today to check on my status and got a message telling me to check the applicant center online. I chickened out and hung up. I want to find out if I've even been reviewed yet, but I don't want to bother them. :-/

yeah annamarie,
i gave them a call yesterday. i am also complete and under review. they said there were several people ahead of me and my app had not been reviewed yet...

theunderdog said:
yeah annamarie,
i gave them a call yesterday. i am also complete and under review. they said there were several people ahead of me and my app had not been reviewed yet...

thanks underdog :) i appreciate it. best of luck!

QUestion:
Does vermont screen apps for secondaries? thanks

I just got back from Vermont. I had a great time there, I kind of wish I could spend more time looking around the downtown area..lake area etc. I stayed at the Wyndham Hotel. If you do stay in a hotel, I would highly recommend Wyndham. Very very nice staff..extremely helpful. You should definitely try to go to the Church street.

Interview itself was not stressful at all. I interviewed with a pharmacology professor. He basically asked a bunch of questions.

Overall impression..great school, great new facilities, friendly faculty, students. Negatives - high tuition, high living cost.

Best wishes all...
S.

DesiMcatAcer said:
QUestion:
Does vermont screen apps for secondaries? thanks

Nope.

tacrum43 said:
Thanks for reply.....does anyone here have the link to vermont's secondary so I can at least start on it? Thanks