UBC Pharmacy 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good Luck to those on the waitlist!

If you don't get in this year don't feel discouraged! It just means you're THIS CLOSE so if you apply again next year you'll definitely get in!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For those who were accepted, were any of you given the option to accept your offer yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
you won't be able to do that until next week. I think you need to chill, keLee =P.

well, i think it's wise to check w/ others on those things...it would def. suck if you were supposed to accept via ssc but didn't cuz u missed reading something. newayz, congrats on everyone who got in!

I am kind of confused with the course registration. If my original registration date (was in microbi) was July 6th, and I paid my $100 registration fee already, do I still register for the non-standard timetable courses (eg., anat, physiology) on that date, or do I wait tell my new registration date for pharmacy comes down, and register them all together with my pharmacy standard timetable?

Edit: Oh, and must I take other non-pharm required courses for 1st year pharmacy during the winter session? I was kind of hoping I could postpone physiology (saves me long bus trips on MWF) for the next summer session. Is that possible?

Last edited:
Congrats everyone who got accepted. I'm going to be applying next year for my first time and will be writing the pcat in August. Does anyone have and helpful hints they'd be willing to share?? :)

I am kind of confused with the course registration. If my original registration date (was in microbi) was July 6th, and I paid my $100 registration fee already, do I still register for the non-standard timetable courses (eg., anat, physiology) on that date, or do I wait tell my new registration date for pharmacy comes down, and register them all together with my pharmacy standard timetable?

Edit: Oh, and must I take other non-pharm required courses for 1st year pharmacy during the winter session? I was kind of hoping I could postpone physiology (saves me long bus trips on MWF) for the next summer session. Is that possible?

Once your Pharm status shows up on SSC, I'm guessing your registration date will change. Anat 390/391 and Phyl 301 have reserved seats for 1st year pharmacy students, which you can register in once you get your pharm status on SSC. So you will register in those at the same time as your STT. I'm not sure about any other non-pharm courses, though.

You are required to take Anat and Phyl in year 1 (if you haven't already taken them of course), during the regular semester....

Having said that, I took Anat 390 and Phyl 301 in the fall semester, but felt that ALL I was studying was anatomy and physiology and not pharmacy, so at the beginning of January I decided to drop Anat 391 (after talking to Margaret) and take it in the summer. She said if I dropped Anat 391, I would not be promoted to 2nd year pharmacy until after I complete (and passed) Anat 391. So I'm taking Anat 391 right now. I don't get to register until after all my classmates, so that means I might not get the STT I want for 2nd year (not thaaat big of a deal). Margaret also mentioned that because there are no reserved seats in Anat in summer semester, I would be SOL if for some reason I couldn't get a seat in the summer class (I was confident that my average was high enough that I'd get an early enough registration date, and I had no problem getting a seat in the summer class).

Physiology 301 is not offered in the summer, so you'll have to take it in the regular semester.

I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get the STT I want for 2nd year, but I'm glad I didn't take Anat 391 in Jan, as it allowed me to focus more on pharmacy, lighten my course load, and didn't interfere with my spring break vacation to Hawaii.

For now, register in Anat and Phyl, then figure it out later (after speaking with Margaret).

Last edited:
i wasn't admitted this year, and I am really disappointed because I believe I handed in a good application, only to screw up on interviews (i think).

I am now unemployed and out of school (the worst experience ever).

But I am not going to give up on this program just yet. So I was wondering if any accepted students here have taken a Pharmacy Technician at a college in prior to applying. I think it would serve a great experience. If so, could someone recommend me an affordable school? I live in Surrey so the closest one to me right now is VCC (Vancouver Career College) but tuition is like 10 grand.

Thanks for your help guys!

i wasn't admitted this year, and I am really disappointed because I believe I handed in a good application, only to screw up on interviews (i think).

But I am not going to give up on this program just yet. So I was wondering if any accepted students here have taken a Pharmacy Technician at a college in prior to applying. I think it would serve a great experience. If so, could someone recommend me an affordable school? I live in Surrey so the closest one to me right now is VCC (Vancouver Career College) but tuition is like 10 grand.

I know a handful of people that have gotten into Pharmacy with no prior Pharmacy experience. As a technician, it might be a good way to make some money now, but is definitely not necessary. I volunteer at a Pharmacy, which I think is just as sufficient as being a technician. I guess being involved in a Pharmacy gives you some brownie points for your application, but is definitely not required.

yeah you have to register for all of your non STT courses after you register for an STT.
I actually have it written as a note on the course registration page, I assume it will say that for first years once your status is updated in the next few days. But there are usually at least 130 reserved seats for pharmacy students in all the required courses because of the late registration date (not 150 because many students accepted already have all the courses besides the STT ones)

Note: You must register in a Standard Timetable before individual sections.

Members don't see this ad :)

I applied last year and was not accepted because I messed up my interview too. Don't worry, if you got an interview this year, it means that you have the sufficient stats already. All you need to do is improve your interview answers/experience (not necessarily just from a pharmacy). I think anywhere is good so long as you gather experience that pertains to the types of questions they ask. Since you have an idea of what the questions will be like, you should do fine next year =)

If anyone on wait list receives an email concerning their admission into the program, can you post here? :)

Anyone here who applied to UBC pharmacy from SFU?
Since im applying next january im wondering what my gpa has to be?

How many waitlist spots are there this year?
It looks like i have quite a few company on sdn! Lol
i hate this uncertainty..my days are going by so slowly :(

Someone previously mentioned that there were 6 people on the waitlist in the year that they applied.

If that number is true for this year... then it'd be really coincidental that over half of that number is on the SDN.

Anyway, I don't think Margaret will have time to get back to us until Monday or so. She'll probably have to sort out the numbers on Friday first since Thursday is the last day for the applicants to accept their offer.

well i know someone on here who declined the offer from UBC pharm. So there's still a chance for those of you who are on the waiting list. Don't lose hope!

I too am waitlisted. I found out approx 2pm on Tues. I figured there would be about 10. I phoned Margaret to find out how far down the list I was but she could not/would not tell me.

Does anybody know if a waitlisted person does not get in, do they have to start the application all over again for next year? Also does anybody know until what date will they take people from the waitlist. eg. Somebody in the 2009 class withdraws at the last minute?

I can't stand the not knowing part!

alright then so far the person you know and rosiepie from sdn has both declined their offers, so at least two people on the waitlist can get in this year.

alright then so far the person you know and rosiepie from sdn has both declined their offers, so at least two people on the waitlist can get in this year.

....unless the person they were talking about WAS rosiepie

I too am waitlisted. I found out approx 2pm on Tues. I figured there would be about 10. I phoned Margaret to find out how far down the list I was but she could not/would not tell me.

Does anybody know if a waitlisted person does not get in, do they have to start the application all over again for next year? Also does anybody know until what date will they take people from the waitlist. eg. Somebody in the 2009 class withdraws at the last minute?

It's too bad that they won't tell us; some of the other programs will, and it allows for the applicants to plan for the possible outcomes... and lower false hope.

And yes, the people on the waitlist will have to resubmit an application next year, it will not get carried over.

In 2008, waitlisted people were notified in mid-July; in 2007, in late-July. After that point, the chances were very slim.

Anyone here who applied to UBC pharmacy from SFU?
Since im applying next january im wondering what my gpa has to be?

Yup, I applied from SFU.

For the pre-req courses, I had around a 3.5 GPA. So that equates to around 78~80% for UBC.

I also have friends who had similar GPA's and were all given interviews.

Margaret told me that waitlisted people can hear from her in few days, few months, or never (….)
And she couldn’t tell me any more than that L
But applicants from last year assume that there are almost no more changes made starting in August.

Ok, let me do a small totaling of current known waitlisters.

Hopefully some/all of the people on this list can get in

Myself
Ash0221
Moh21
Lala88
Cypher
Gerund (didn’t receive acceptance/rejection, however actual status unknown)
Rky

7 current known waitlisters, 2 known acceptance denials (as long as rosiepie doesn’t happen to be counted twice)

T_T not good odds for most of us

Another UBC program had a total of 90 seats this year, and there were 20 people on the waitlist. So, proportionally, Pharmacy would have even more people on the waitlist.

Of course, this also depends on past trends on how many people do decline their offers; I'm inclined to say it is less likely that applicants will reject Pharmacy's offer.

Last edited:
How come there was a year with only 6 people on the waitlist then? Is there any particular trend that they follow?

Ok, let me do a small totaling of current known waitlisters.

Hopefully some/all of the people on this list can get in

Myself
Ash0221
Moh21
Lala88
Cypher
Gerund (didn’t receive acceptance/rejection, however actual status unknown)
Rky

7 current known waitlisters, 2 known acceptance denials (as long as rosiepie doesn’t happen to be counted twice)

T_T not good odds for most of us

Also lalalaaa? I had to register today for my courses at UBC Okanagan but have not given up hope on a spot opening up.

How come there was a year with only 6 people on the waitlist then? Is there any particular trend that they follow?
Yeah, I was surprised to hear that there were 6 people on the wait list.

It's possible that when Margaret said that, she had already moved a lot of people off the wait list and offered them admission, and "6 people" were the remaining unlucky few.

Or, Pharmacy does have very few applicants reject their offer, which I believe is the case, and therefore does not need a long list. Or, Margaret likes to throw numbers around and throw us off :p

Also lalalaaa? I had to register today for my courses at UBC Okanagan but have not given up hope on a spot opening up.

Nevermind, I just reread lalalaaa's post. I see she did not get in. I would think most waitlisted people would be like us scouring the board for hope!

so happy. they emailed me like 20min ago.

this really goes to show that you dont need a super high gpa to get accepted (my stats are roughly 71 pre-req average and 89 pcat) as long as you do well on the interview

so happy. they emailed me like 20min ago.

this really goes to show that you dont need a super high gpa to get accepted (my stats are roughly 71 pre-req average and 89 pcat) as long as you do well on the interview

Well good luck to you. I will continue to wait patiently and reapply next year if I don't get in off the waitlist this year.

congrats, Im totally jealous lol

I expect you had very impressive EC as well in order to get in with a 71 average

I was going to say that too. How was your EC?

Well as far as EC goes, I don't have any actual pharmacy experience. All my EC's were mainly to do with clubs, volunteering and playing soccer.

Yes! I got accepted off the wait list!!!

Well as far as EC goes, I don't have any actual pharmacy experience. All my EC's were mainly to do with clubs, volunteering and playing soccer.

And you got in with a 71 average !!!???

Can you describe your interviewers ?? was it an asian lady with a caucasian lady

The poster did mention that he/she was wait listed last time, so maybe that had something to do with it. But yeah, while that list of EC isn't equivalent to saving the world, the presentation of your resume also has a large part, which I assume in this case, was done very well.

Congrats to all of you who've been moved off the wait list!

Thank you!

I hope things go well for the people who are still on the wait list! Don't give up hope!!! I know the wait is tormenting but always have faith :D

Yup, I applied from SFU.

For the pre-req courses, I had around a 3.5 GPA. So that equates to around 78~80% for UBC.

I also have friends who had similar GPA's and were all given interviews.

Also how did you do on PCAT? If you don't mind me asking. Any information or advice for a SFU student will be appreciated :)

Thank you!

I hope things go well for the people who are still on the wait list! Don't give up hope!!! I know the wait is tormenting but always have faith :D

congrats! may i ask what were your stats?

Congrats to those that got admitted from the waitlist!

Last edited:
congrats! may i ask what were your stats?

Haha my stats aren't impressive... Pcat 76%, Avg 77%, pharmacy experience in an independent pharmacy and at shoppers drug mart pharmacy.

Congrats to those who got in from the wait-list!

Has anyone been able to accept their admission on SSC yet?

I think we'll be able to next week sometime