UBC Pre-pharmacy 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay, im starting to panic. I am going to be registered for 6 classes next year. And that is without taking Organic Chem. Does that seem right? Would some people really have to take 7 courses in one semester?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, im starting to panic. I am going to be registered for 6 classes next year. And that is without taking Organic Chem. Does that seem right? Would some people really have to take 7 courses in one semester?

That's what I heard...

Especially students who enter after 1st year

Members don't see this ad :)
so people who didn't get an email called in and were told they were on the waitlist? am i getting this right?

Actually I just got an email telling me I'm on the waitlist... which I already knew... sigh. more waiting I guess.

Anyone get an acceptance email from the waitlist already?

Ok well good to know at least we're still being considered :)

Ok well good to know at least we're still being considered :)

i knowww...when the emial started smthin like this "Thank you for your application to.....,
and for your participation in our interview process."
I was like dayummmmm; IT IS A REJECTION :(

cuz otherwise it would have started with COngratulations!!!

But then I was lil relieved when i read "waitlist"

i knowww...when the emial started smthin like this "Thank you for your application to.....,
and for your participation in our interview process."
I was like dayummmmm; IT IS A REJECTION :(

cuz otherwise it would have started with COngratulations!!!

But then I was lil relieved when i read "waitlist"
I KNOW!!! I totally thought the same thing! I was like OK i'm done for.
Yes, glad to know it wasn't a rejection. But I think that just means no one has declined their offer so far or else some people would have gotten accepted off the wait list already. Right?

I KNOW!!! I totally thought the same thing! I was like OK i'm done for.
Yes, glad to know it wasn't a rejection. But I think that just means no one has declined their offer so far or else some people would have gotten accepted off the wait list already. Right?
Hi there...same boat hahah!! What about pcatmalla I think he or she was waiting also.So we are all on the waitlist club together better than being rejected at this point...who knows everyone may have accepted there offers...like hobom said ''Take another offer if we have one, I don't so i will have a back up plan if need be:eek: ''i am working on that ..yikes !! it does get complicated haha!!

For first year Pharmacy courses, such as Pharm 201 etc, how difficult are they? I am just wondering whether I can take take a job on the side or has to concentrate fully on these courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
yep.. I think pcatmalla and akalic were the others who are also wait-lists?

yep.. I think pcatmalla and akalic were the others who are also wait-lists?
and the list goes on....hahah!! looking over last years thread I think two people got off the waitlist after course registration, well good luck to all of us:thumbup:

and the list goes on....hahah!! looking over last years thread I think two people got off the waitlist after course registration, well good luck to all of us:thumbup:
Yes I think on average in past years, only about 2 people get in off waitlist. GOOD LUCK! When is registration for accepted people? All next week?

For first year Pharmacy courses, such as Pharm 201 etc, how difficult are they? I am just wondering whether I can take take a job on the side or has to concentrate fully on these courses.

You can DEFINITELY take on a part time job if you only have the pharmacy courses in first year. If you also have to do the other first year required courses such as Anatomy, Physiology, Ochem then it will depend on how many of those you will be taking.

If it helps, my friend did that at first and they eventually hired her as a pharm tech because they saw that she was reliable and hardworking. I'd recommend you keep the job because it's pretty hard to get a volunteer position at pharmacies nowadays, plus you can gain more knowledge about the pharmacy industry. I don't think it's rude to ask if there's anything else you can do, as long as you aren't rude about it. Just ask nicely.

Thanks for the input JDbb! hahah I wasn't planning to be rude at all. I just thought that speaking up would just sound wrong inadvertently. It's a good thing that I didn't do filing for the entire time yesterday. They let me do other things. That would be really awesome if I was promoted to a pharm tech position too=)

Does anyone know how many courses I would have to take next year (not in pharmacy, waitlisted still) to be considered a full-time student and be able to keep my medical and dental. I already have all my pharmacy pre-reqs and some additional coursework completed. I see on the website (UBC) that they only require 3 courses per term, but it says nothing about medical/dental! Does anyone know about this?

I can't remember who was asking, but my registration time is 7am on the 12th =) my average is ~92 (including chem 233 from this summer), so i think i have the earliest slot...

mannn i wish i was taking micb right now... i have to take 31 cred next year... and then ill probably have to take at least 2 summer courses after that to avoid 40 credits in 2nd year :scared:

ANYWAYS if anyone wants to buy a kaplan pcat book (i have a brand new one, and a photocopied one) contact me!!!!!

o yeah, are you guys going to the post coatal party? its on the fb page

I got the email that I am on the waitlist. Another month of waiting:(

maaybe.... I don't drink much but I might come to mingle

Does anyone know how many courses I would have to take next year (not in pharmacy, waitlisted still) to be considered a full-time student and be able to keep my medical and dental. I already have all my pharmacy pre-reqs and some additional coursework completed. I see on the website (UBC) that they only require 3 courses per term, but it says nothing about medical/dental! Does anyone know about this?

http://www2.ams.ubc.ca/index.php/services/category/health_plan#Wic

Part time students qualify for coverage.

HECK YES PCP!!
seriously I would be totally ok with waking up tomorrow and it being september

hey microbi (or anyone else),

since I only have a 18-credit course load for 1st yr, I am considering to fulfill my elective credits. out of all the pharmacy-approved electives, which courses do you recommend?

since I only have a 18-credit course load for 1st yr, I am considering to fulfill my elective credits. out of all the pharmacy-approved electives, which courses do you recommend?

I took CLST 301 last year, the latin and greek root words that make up medical and biological terms. It was A LOT of memorization, but it isn't to difficult to get a decent mark in it ( however they have changed it to make it more challenging -it used to be extremely easy to get a 90 but it's not anymore-). I thought it was really interesting though, and I enjoyed it, and I also think it wll proove useful in a lot of science and health courses. I can now read any medical text and pretty much understand what it says!

If I haven't taken Chem 233, am I able to register in PHYL 301? According to the UBC Calendar, PHYL 301 is a required first year pharmacy course, but Chem 233 is a prereq. I e-mailed Dr. Kwok asking if I could take both courses at the same time, but he said no... Do I have to take phyl 301 in year 2, then?

UBCmicrobi good on you for helping everyone out on this thread if I don't get in this year I hope you will be back to help next year haha!To all you waitlists out there if you don't mind me asking do you all attend UBC ? UBCmicro or anyone who has been in this situation, my question is I am now going into my third year so I was thinking of lightening up my year by only taking 6 courses and two of them will be towards Pharmacy.I already have some extra courses towards first year Pharm,So my concern is:pharmacy will only be taking my pre reqs (GPA ) for Pharm ..Correct?So I was going to lighten up my course load and take less this year and bring my GPA up by taking two more extra Pharm courses and also have time to be able to study and rewrite my pcat again.Do you think it may be a bad idea only to enroll in 6 courses rather than 10 or 11 ? At this point I have all my pre reqs and 3 extra first year courses, I don't want to look like I slacked all year if i have to re apply to Pharm again next year.I am sure they only look at the Pharm cours:eek:es and GPA for Pharmacy ????does anyone have any advice for me..Thanks !!

Last edited:
Hi Bcpharmer,
I am pretty sure they only look at the pre-reqs cuz I m not sure if I would have gotten in if they had considered my other courses....

Question!
We have to register with the College of Pharmacist BC by Sept I believe, Do you guys know if we have to mail in our application? Or can we fax it?

We need to attach a picture to the application so mailing would seem like the appropriate choice...but faxing would be quicker; what are you guys doing?

Hi Bcpharmer,
I am pretty sure they only look at the pre-reqs cuz I m not sure if I would have gotten in if they had considered my other courses....
Thanks RxRx...anybody else also have an opi:)nion

Oh, I called Margaret during my application to inquire about courses, and she said they only look at pre-reqs. I'm not sure if they look at how many courses ur taking though...don't think it would matter that much?

If I haven't taken Chem 233, am I able to register in PHYL 301? According to the UBC Calendar, PHYL 301 is a required first year pharmacy course, but Chem 233 is a prereq. I e-mailed Dr. Kwok asking if I could take both courses at the same time, but he said no... Do I have to take phyl 301 in year 2, then?

Did you tell him you were in pharmacy when you emailed? You will definitely be able to take them together, everyone in first year pharmacy has to complete those courses before they can gain entry into second year of the program. I wouldn't worry about it though, you will be able to register for them together as pharmacy students are exempted from that pre requisite.

Did you tell him you were in pharmacy when you emailed? You will definitely be able to take them together, everyone in first year pharmacy has to complete those courses before they can gain entry into second year of the program. I wouldn't worry about it though, you will be able to register for them together as pharmacy students are exempted from that pre requisite.
I did tell him that I was going to start first year pharmacy in September, but his answer was still no. Maybe he was just particularly busy that day and read my e-mail too fast. Thanks for clearing that up!

Oh, I called Margaret during my application to inquire about courses, and she said they only look at pre-reqs. I'm not sure if they look at how many courses ur taking though...don't think it would matter that much?
Thanks...I have all the pre reqs at the moment and 3 first year pharm courses done and next year I will take 6 courses and two of them are going towards Pharm also,I just had to register for 3 one semester and three the next to be able to get medical and dental ect..I was just concerned that if I did not take a full load this year they would think I was slacking but if they do not look at anything else I may as well take it a bit easy this year until I possibly have to apply to Pharm again, hopefully i get in this year haha!!....i just thought Pharmacy may say this person took a full load and it would be good for them to see that...but I am sure they only worry about pre reqs as you say..Last year I was overloaded in my courses and it may have hurt me a bit cause a few of my courses were extra pharm courses and it may have brought my GPA down a little for Pharm,I took too much on I think...so this year I want to continue with my 2 pharm locations and school...I had too much on the go last year...so thanks for your advice...I could use any at this time:)

How many people have STT-B in their worklist?? I hope it doesn't fill up by Tuesday :(

Anyone know if I will be forced out of my currently registered courses once I switch to the BScP program?

Like Justgotin, I also took Clst 301. They did change the course to try and make it "harder", but it's not hard at all. They basically added a bunch of history, quizzes and a few assignments. It's quite useful and I still got over 90 with the new changes so I would recommend this course. If you're looking for a super easy elective then you should consider FNH 200. It's absolutely the easiest course I've taken at UBC, not the most interesting material though.

UBCmicrobi good on you for helping everyone out on this thread if I don't get in this year I hope you will be back to help next year haha!To all you waitlists out there if you don't mind me asking do you all attend UBC ? UBCmicro or anyone who has been in this situation, my question is I am now going into my third year so I was thinking of lightening up my year by only taking 6 courses and two of them will be towards Pharmacy.I already have some extra courses towards first year Pharm,So my concern is:pharmacy will only be taking my pre reqs (GPA ) for Pharm ..Correct?So I was going to lighten up my course load and take less this year and bring my GPA up by taking two more extra Pharm courses and also have time to be able to study and rewrite my pcat again.Do you think it may be a bad idea only to enroll in 6 courses rather than 10 or 11 ? At this point I have all my pre reqs and 3 extra first year courses, I don't want to look like I slacked all year if i have to re apply to Pharm again next year.I am sure they only look at the Pharm cours:eek:es and GPA for Pharmacy ????does anyone have any advice for me..Thanks !!

Hey bcpharmer, I did exactly this last year (I just finished my third year too). Yes they only look at your prereqs, and they won't think that you slacked. Which pharm courses are you planning on taking? I would stay away from Phyl 301 if I were you, it's a lot of material and quite a difficult course. I would recommend Stat 200 (it's equivalent to stat 203 and counts for science credits), and micb 202 (only in the summer though, I heard it's way easier in the summer). And also take the pharmacy-approved electives (it's going to cost you $200 more per course once you get into pharm)-see above post. I took 6 courses last year, focused on the PCAT in term 1, did my electives and now I only have the Phar courses for first year. :)

UBCmicrobi good on you for helping everyone out on this thread if I don't get in this year I hope you will be back to help next year haha!

Pharmacy will only be taking my pre reqs (GPA ) for Pharm ..Correct?

I don't want to look like I slacked all year if i have to re apply to Pharm again next year.I am sure they only look at the Pharm cours:eek:es and GPA for Pharmacy ????does anyone have any advice for me..Thanks !!

No problem :) I definitely don't mind helping out, since I found SDN pretty helpful when I was an applicant. I'm not much of a joiner as far as pharmacy clubs and events go, so this is my way of contributing to the faculty :)

Now to answer your questions:

There's a fair bit of miscommunication going around here, so let me clarify for anyone who may peruse this forum:

Your admission GPA is based on the prerequisites AND any of the required upper year courses, if you have completed them Please note the distinction between pre-requisites and required courses.

In other words, if you have taken CHEM 233 & 235, OR CHEM 203 & 204, MICB 202, STAT 203, OR 200, OR BIOL 300, OR AGSC 252, BIOC 300 OR BIOC 303 OR BIOL 201 & BIOC 302, ANAT 390, 391, PHYL 301, OR BIOL 361 & 364 (or something equivalent at another school) it WILL count toward your admission GPA.

Taking any of the above courses is certainly a good way to "boost" your admission GPA, provided that you can fully commit to them and put the time and effort in to get a good grade. Plus once you are accepted into the pharmacy program, you'll have fewer courses to complete, which will make your life sooo much easier (but note that you CANNOT skip ahead a year/graduate early/take upper year pharmacy classes etc). But who doesn't want to make those 4 years easier, right?

For the sake of completeness, here are the "pre-requisite" courses:

BIOL 112 (or MICB 201), plus BIOL 121 and BIOL 140
CHEM 111 & 113, or CHEM 121 & 123
English 1st year (6 credits). ENGL 112 is recommended.
MATH 102 (recommended) or one of MATH 100, 104, 120, 180, or 184; plus MATH 103 (recommended) or MATH 101, 105, or 121
Physics PHYS 101

Here are the links:

Pre-req courses

http://www.pharmacy.ubc.ca/programs/degree-programs/BscP/academic-admission-requirements

Admission GPA and upper year courses:

http://www.pharmacy.ubc.ca/programs/degree-programs/BscP/pharmacy-academic-admission-average

As far as concerns over how many courses/semester or studying part time, I wouldn't worry about it. Anecdata: I was part-time at Langara, and by the time I transferred to UBC for 3rd year, I only took 4 courses/semester (a "light" course load by some people's standard, but granted in a fairly intense program as far as I am concerned) and a couple summer courses. That's just the way it worked out; I had all my credits to graduate, so I wasn't going to take extra courses just to impress anyone.

Please check out the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences website for additional info :) But otherwise let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited:
And also take the pharmacy-approved electives (it's going to cost you $200 more per course once you get into pharm)-see above post. :)

Excellent point. It's cheaper to take them BEFORE you get into pharmacy!

So if you have the time/room in your schedule, this is another great reason to take required courses and pharmacy approved electives before you go into pharmacy.

Question!
We have to register with the College of Pharmacist BC by Sept I believe, Do you guys know if we have to mail in our application? Or can we fax it?

We need to attach a picture to the application so mailing would seem like the appropriate choice...but faxing would be quicker; what are you guys doing?

If I remember correctly, I just used a spare passport photo and mailed it in.

Snail mail is actually surprisingly quick if you're mailing to Vancouver from Vancouver :)

This might be a stupid question, but...
We don't have to satisfy the Science, Arts, Breath Requirements from the Faculty of Science anymore, right? And the same goes for the Upper-level Requirements?

This might be a stupid question, but...
We don't have to satisfy the Science, Arts, Breath Requirements from the Faculty of Science anymore, right? And the same goes for the Upper-level Requirements?

hmm, never thought about that! Once you enter the pharmacy program, you have to satisfy the requirements of The Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences. You are no longer a part of The Faculty of Science (ie it's a totally separate faculty). So I am assuming none of those breadth/arts things apply (but since I have my BSc already, my bases are already covered), but best to check out the official UBC Calendar :)

PS those requirements were a pain in the butt!

EDIT: these are the official requirement for BSc Pharmacy (plus the pre-reqs of course):

http://www.calendar.ubc.ca/vancouver/index.cfm?tree=12,213,397,393

Last edited:
Wait.. courses are more expensive for pharmacy students?
Also, to calculate when your registration time is, do you know if they use the prereq GPA or simply the previous winter session's GPA?

Wait.. courses are more expensive for pharmacy students?
Also, to calculate when your registration time is, do you know if they use the prereq GPA or simply the previous winter session's GPA?

Yup. Faculty of Sci is about $150 per credit, and Factulty of Pharm is about $215 per credit. Once you start pharmacy, you pay more for every class (pharm or non-pharm).

http://www.calendar.ubc.ca/vancouver/index.cfm?tree=14,266,772,0

How they calculate your registration time GPA? no idea. It's based on GPA, but exactly how they come up with it is anyone's guess.