UBSoPPS anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cosanostra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people,

I've been shopping around for pharmacy schools because my 1st choice seems quite unrealistic. I was hoping for UCSF, because I grew up around the area and I am familiar with the city of San Francisco. But in light of recent events (like getting my wife pregnent), I feel that San Francisco isn't that great of a place to attend school (or raise a child, for that matter.)

So I am wondering, if anybody has any experience with this school? What were your costs of attendence? Did you have trouble getting financial aid money? I have looked on UB's pharmacy school admissions page for the costs of attending, and it looks like I'll need just about $30,000 for my P1 year (still considered undergraduate for FAFSA purposes). Because my EFC is considered 0, I am eligible for the maximum amount of financial aid. Is it realistic to expect that I will have enough funds to pay for my 1st year of school? I have to be sure about this before I move my wife and son across the country!

And I know that many pharmacy schools offer a Health Professionals Student Loan (HPSL) that covers the cost of tuition. Does UBSoPPS participate in this loan? What kind of loans are available through UBSoPPS??

Also, in my situation, I am considered an undergraduate. This is my 1st semester of college, starting at a community college and then I will be transferring to a California State University to finish my prerequisites. I know that many pharmacy schools--especially UCSF--almost expect that you have a bachelors degree completed to be admitted. UB seems to be more relaxed about their Bachelors degree requirements. If I complete all basic prepharmacy requirements, keep a high GPA (3.7 at least), and do well on the PCAT, what are my chances of being accepted to UB?

Please share your positive feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

I know UB uses rolling admissions, so applying now really limits you. With a GPA around 3.7 and PCAT scores of 80+, you should be accepted anywhere you want. Also, I have only heard good things about UB on SDN. As far as funding, I would be talking with either a representative at your current CC or at Cal State. They'll be able to help you.

Hey people,

I've been shopping around for pharmacy schools because my 1st choice seems quite unrealistic. I was hoping for UCSF, because I grew up around the area and I am familiar with the city of San Francisco. But in light of recent events (like getting my wife pregnent), I feel that San Francisco isn't that great of a place to attend school (or raise a child, for that matter.)

So I am wondering, if anybody has any experience with this school? What were your costs of attendence? Did you have trouble getting financial aid money? I have looked on UB's pharmacy school admissions page for the costs of attending, and it looks like I'll need just about $30,000 for my P1 year (still considered undergraduate for FAFSA purposes). Because my EFC is considered 0, I am eligible for the maximum amount of financial aid. Is it realistic to expect that I will have enough funds to pay for my 1st year of school? I have to be sure about this before I move my wife and son across the country!

And I know that many pharmacy schools offer a Health Professionals Student Loan (HPSL) that covers the cost of tuition. Does UBSoPPS participate in this loan? What kind of loans are available through UBSoPPS??

Also, in my situation, I am considered an undergraduate. This is my 1st semester of college, starting at a community college and then I will be transferring to a California State University to finish my prerequisites. I know that many pharmacy schools--especially UCSF--almost expect that you have a bachelors degree completed to be admitted. UB seems to be more relaxed about their Bachelors degree requirements. If I complete all basic prepharmacy requirements, keep a high GPA (3.7 at least), and do well on the PCAT, what are my chances of being accepted to UB?

Please share your positive feedback.

Hey, as of right now, UB is changing their admission requirements for the next 2 or 3 years. I do not know the specific yet, but they will soon be requiring a BA or BS withing the next couple of years or so for transfer students since the majority of the students have a BA or BS. However, for the entering class of 2013, all requirements are still the same. We don't qualify for the health professional loans until our P2 year, since the current P1 year is still considered undergrad. You can qualify for instate tuition after a year in NY state. As for the cost of living, you can find a nice 2 bedr apartment 10-15 minute from campus for about 600-900. If you budget well, you can make it. However, it all depends on when you are applying since UB is going through some changes. If you want to know more about buffalo and UB, you can send me a private message. Good luck and congrats to you and your wife!