Class of 2024 anyone receive interview invites yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s funny because if we say we don’t want to be a retail pharmacist then we’re stupid because most of the jobs are in retail, and getting a residency is hard (like we don’t already know). If we say we do plan on going into retail you all go on about how competitive it is, how horrible of a job it is. If we’re saying we’re going to work hard to look for a good job that pays on the better side then we’re thinking out of our league because, duh, we won’t find a good job because almost nobody finds a good job. If we say we’ll take whatever we can get because we just love the profession then we’re ruining the profession as a whole and running the wages down for everyone. If the only right answer that you all want to hear is for us to say we’re no longer pursuing pharmacy (which you KNOW you will not get considering you’re entering chats about students excited about their admission to pharmacy school) then why are you all stressing yourselves?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn’t ask for any positivity. I just ask for y’all to keep your two cents to yourself unless someone actually asks for it. Remember, I didn’t come into your threads about pharmacy saturation and about how much you all hate your jobs. You came to this thread that did not call for you at all. I understand how the topic makes you all feel and I wouldn’t care if you made a thousand blogs, websites and threads on the topic. But you’re bothering people who didn’t ask to be bothered. And if you’re not getting some type of prize or gift card for every student you steer away from pharmacy, I have no choice but to believe that you all are psychotic for making it a priority to continuously step into other people’s conversations and give your unsolicited input.

Its a open forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s funny because if we say we don’t want to be a retail pharmacist then we’re stupid because most of the jobs are in retail, and getting a residency is hard (like we don’t already know). If we say we do plan on going into retail you all go on about how competitive it is, how horrible of a job it is. If we’re saying we’re going to work hard to look for a good job that pays on the better side then we’re thinking out of our league because, duh, we won’t find a good job because almost nobody finds a good job. If we say we’ll take whatever we can get because we just love the profession then we’re ruining the profession as a whole and running the wages down for everyone. If the only right answer that you all want to hear is for us to say we’re no longer pursuing pharmacy (which you KNOW you will not get considering you’re entering chats about students excited about their admission to pharmacy school) then why are you all stressing yourselves?

Trust me, we are not stressing ourselves. Most of us are working and just using this for entertainment. You seem the most stressed about this all. You need to calm down.

Members don't see this ad :)
Trust me, we are not stressing ourselves. Most of us are working and just using this for entertainment. You seem the most stressed about this all. You need to calm down.
I need to calm down because I’m the first one to actually respond to take up for my goals instead of being scared into a corner like everyone else. I recognize your username. You go into almost every pharmacy thread acting like a bully but I need to calm down. People are literally in here minding their businesses but you come in here talking to us like we’re dumb ****s but I’m the one that needs to calm down. Lol you’re probably the type to have always said what you wanted and treated people whatever way you want without repercussions. When someone talks to you the way you’ve been talking to everyone else you probably consider them as the aggressor. Let’s just say I’m entertaining myself by responding to you the the same way you’re entertaining yourself. I see you all walk over these kids all day and because I’m saying something I’m psychotic and need to calm down. Lol please.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
So much emotional drivel here.

Projected shrinking job market over the next 10 years = far more likely than not

Most jobs are in retail and most people end up there whether by choice or not = fact

Only a tiny fraction of pharmacists work in the “unicorn” jobs = fact (hence, why they are called unicorn jobs)

Pharmacy GPA and PCAT requirements have dropped or been eliminated entirely in the last 10 years = fact

Having to sacrifice 3-6 years of your life to become a pharmacist = fact

One person can be the President of the United States at a time = fact

2+2=4 - fact

So much emotional drivel here.

Projected shrinking job market over the next 10 years = far more likely than not

Most jobs are in retail and most people end up there whether by choice or not = fact

Only a tiny fraction of pharmacists work in the “unicorn” jobs = fact (hence, why they are called unicorn jobs)

Pharmacy GPA and PCAT requirements have dropped or been eliminated entirely in the last 10 years = fact

Having to sacrifice 3-6 years of your life to become a pharmacist = fact

One person can be the President of the United States at a time = fact

2+2=4 - fact
And let me know where at all in this thread have I denied any of this. Personally, if I’ve said all I can say about something to someone, and they have all the facts, and they still decide to dive right in to what I know to be a ****hole then I’d say whatever and keep it moving. But I’m with your last statement. If my goal is to be the president of the US someday along with who knows how many other people and guaranteed 99.99% of us will not achieve that goal, that doesn’t stop me from pursuing it. It may not be statistically smart, but if Obama would have given up on his goal because of statistics, there would be a 100% chance that he wouldn’t have become president. It was probably people like you all spitting statistics at him and thinking of him as a ******* when he first let it be known that presidency was his goal.

And my purpose isn’t to be out here giving pep talks, trying to convince everyone to reach for their statistically unlikely goals. I don’t really care too much about other’s goals. I’m just letting you know why I’m doing what I’m doing.

I wouldn’t say I’m psychotic I’d just say you’ve never met anyone like me before.

Actually you sound like every pre-pharm out there. These threads always go like this:
-experienced working pharmacists give real facts without sugar coating anything
-prepharm says we are doom and gloom, full of negativity
-pharmacists give more facts to back up their advice
-prepharm doesn't hear what they want to hear, so they resort to name calling, insults (in your case profanity), calling us trolls/liars/miserable

The majority of us are not miserable. Most of us in this thread have paid off our loans years ago, have a six or seven figure net worth, and are grandfathered in to high wages that will never be offered again. We are riding the gravy train for as long as possible. We see what's happening to the profession and know it won't last long. If we graduated in 2019 or beyond, we would definitely be miserable.

If you want to hear positivity, lies and deceit then ignore us. You will not get truthful, unfiltered advice like this from real working pharmacists anywhere else.

Reactions: 2 users
I do realize that, that’s why I said I’m open to different opportunities. I’m more so interested in ambulatory care. Is it a crime to have a specific goal? As I said I know the facts and that things may not go exactly how I want them to go but nonetheless I’m still going to work to attain my goal.
That's fine. I feel like a lot of pre-pharms and current pharmacy students start with retail in mind then realize how terrible it's becoming so all of a sudden they want to do residency or are interested in "industry" while having no idea what any of those entail. I'm seeing more and more people saying they don't want to do retail nowadays, but obviously they aren't all going to be clinical pharmacists or industry pharmacists. Retail constitutes 60% of pharmacist jobs and there already aren't enough retail jobs out there for everybody. It's going to be even more difficult landing those clinical or retail positions.

A decade ago, you went to pharmacy school for 4 years and were guaranteed a six figure salary upon graduation. Nowadays you don't even know if you'll land a job let alone a part time position. And even if you land a full time position, what is your pay going to be? If you've taken economics 101 then you'll know what the law of supply and demand is going to do to our salaries. That's why it is so baffling to us why anyone would choose to take such a huge gamble. You're taking on $150-200k of debt, investing 4 years of your life, for a profession that's facing decreasing pay and decreasing job opportunities

Lol I do wish we could’ve had this conversation in person. You’re probably mistaking my profanity as fuming anger but I’d do it to your face as calmly as ever. I wouldn’t say I’m psychotic I’d just say you’ve never met anyone like me before. I can tell because of the way you talk to people. And with people like me, that just wouldn’t fly .

Lol. I provide facts. I don't tell you what to do because at the end of the day, it's your life lol. I can tell you don't use social media a lot since you get butthurt over comments on a forum.

Actually you sound like every pre-pharm out there. These threads always go like this:
-experienced working pharmacists give real facts without sugar coating anything
-prepharm says we are doom and gloom, full of negativity
-pharmacists give more facts to back up their advice
-prepharm doesn't hear what they want to hear, so they resort to name calling, insults (in your case profanity), calling us trolls/liars/miserable

The majority of us are not miserable. Most of us in this thread have paid off our loans years ago, have a six or seven figure net worth, and are grandfathered in to high wages that will never be offered again. We are riding the gravy train for as long as possible. We see what's happening to the profession and know it won't last long. If we graduated in 2019 or beyond, we would definitely be miserable.

If you want to hear positivity, lies and deceit then ignore us. You will not get truthful, unfiltered advice like this from real working pharmacists anywhere else.
It’s weird because I haven’t commented anywhere that you’re lying, that you should be happier about the situation, nothing like that. I haven’t been asking you to speak positively. I’m not even on here saying that “Oh when I graduate, none of what you said is going to happen to me” I’m simply saying I’m still going for it. It’s not about hearing what I want to hear. But after one of you said it the first time, and I said okay, and then all of you continue to go on about it, I just wondered what solution were you looking for so that you all could hush and the actual thread could continue on. The fact that you even think you’re the first ones to present this information to me is ridiculous.

Lol. I provide facts. I don't tell you what to do because at the end of the day, it's your life lol. I can tell you don't use social media a lot since you get butthurt over comments on a forum.
Lol I’m a millennial, of course I always use social media. But like I said, I don’t think you’re used to not getting away with talking to people like crap. Me actually responding to you is considered being butt hurt lmao

• Haha
Arguing with Hope_perfection is like arguing with PAtoPharm (remember him?).

Members don't see this ad :)
These doom and gloom posters all do it for one thing and one thing only, their egos. They want to be told they are right and thats it. If they actually cared about you guys, they wouldn't keep repeating the same things that everyone knows. They would post things about how to deal with such a ****ty situations based on their knowledge on the inside and hope for the best for you guys.
Although I will say this, most pre pharm students are in denial. All of my peers who went into pharmacy only did it for the money and title, none of them were actually passionate about the career. It was just another thing to post on their social media accounts to show how much of an adult they were. So I can kind of understand why they keep repeating themselves.
So if you are passionate and well educated on the current situation, just ignore the doom n gloom posts. If not, read those posts.

Last edited:
These doom and gloom posters all do it for one thing and one thing only, their egos. They want to be told they are right and thats it. If they actually cared about you guys, they wouldn't keep repeating the same things that everyone knows. They would post things about how to deal with such a ****ty situations based on their knowledge on the inside and hope for the best for you guys.
Although I will say this, most pre pharm students are in denial. All of my peers who went into pharmacy only did it for the money and title, none of them were actually passionate about the career. It was just another thing to post on their social media accounts to show how much of an adult they were. So I can kind of understand why they keep repeating themselves.
So if you are passionate and well educated on the current situation, just ignore the doom n gloom posts. If not, read those posts.

I agree i've seen a lot of them are only in this because they wanted to work in "healthcare" and not get "dirty" while making a decent living. Its sad for us that actually want to be in the profession and grow within it. On the other had, no one is making people apply and use student loans and whining all the way down.

There was a lot of condescending tone in your message, especially with you quoting my phrase, but whatever. I never came on here for your approval or “innocent” advice. Why you’d even assume I’m not trying to have as little debt as possible is beyond me. But you know, probably just another example of you all assuming all pre-pharms are idiots.

1571389114221.png

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I know all you guys read those doom and gloom posts about the pharmacy job market saturation, and you guys chose to ignore them. 200k+ student loans and no job afterwards. After you guys graduate, I want you guys to come back here and update us to tell us we were right lol.

Theses are the bottom of the barrel type of students that think they are special. Students that are so unaware of the real world, that all they do is study without ever stepping foot into the real world, most never even held a job and have no life experience. The SMART students have already left and aren't applying to pharm. The bottom of the barrel, these prepharm are the ones still applying to desperate schools that need butts to pay their bills.

And these same students are still bragging and are happy for interviews and patting themselves on their backs. Pathetic typical prepharm students.

Sums up my life. Undergrad was biology with hopeful into jobs in research but job hunt post-grad I realized I had nothing within a minimum of 1.5 hours from me and the jobs are located in locations went once I move there just to work and pay rent, I'll be only making like 25k or less a year. Then went into pharmacy cause it was booming, graduated a few months ago and had miserable job hunt. Now FT at an independent which means less pay but at least my 10-6 hours means I still have a life and my family bailed me out of student loans.

Hearing what my friends that are floaters at the chains and telling me how miserable they are having to drive up to 2 hours just to go to a 4 hour shift they didn't know they had till they woke up in the morning because the schedulers will put you into shifts with 0 notification.

Sums up my life. Undergrad was biology with hopeful into jobs in research but job hunt post-grad I realized I had nothing within a minimum of 1.5 hours from me and the jobs are located in locations went once I move there just to work and pay rent, I'll be only making like 25k or less a year. Then went into pharmacy cause it was booming, graduated a few months ago and had miserable job hunt. Now FT at an independent which means less pay but at least my 10-6 hours means I still have a life and my family bailed me out of student loans.

Hearing what my friends that are floaters at the chains and telling me how miserable they are having to drive up to 2 hours just to go to a 4 hour shift they didn't know they had till they woke up in the morning because the schedulers will put you into shifts with 0 notification.

Sorry man, we are all in the same boat though..... same stress levels ....grinding the same degrading occupation.... hang in there. I wish i could say it was going to get better, but i wouldnt want to lie to you....

Hi. May I ask what’s so argument provoking about what I’ve been saying? I just have plenty of time like most of you.

Hope, nobody is trying to hurt your feelings or argue with you. We are only giving advice since we are suffering from the perils of pharmacy. Sometimes it comes out the wrong way ya know? We dont want anymore younger folks to get jammed up in piles of debt and destroyed by the pharmacy industry. Our message is clear....no matter how PASSIONATE you may be about something.... passion doesn't put food on the table or pay bills. Lets be honest with each other, we knew we were getting paid serious gravy when most of us jumped onto this ship years ago. Now it's 2019 and the ship is nearly sunk. so, we are telling you to jump off while you still can. Take the message how you want, at the end of the day, cash is king, and were only trying to help you.

Hope, nobody is trying to hurt your feelings or argue with you. We are only giving advice since we are suffering from the perils of pharmacy. Sometimes it comes out the wrong way ya know? We dont want anymore younger folks to get jammed up in piles of debt and destroyed by the pharmacy industry. Our message is clear....no matter how PASSIONATE you may be about something.... passion doesn't put food on the table or pay bills. Lets be honest with each other, we knew we were getting paid serious gravy when most of us jumped onto this ship years ago. Now it's 2019 and the ship is nearly sunk. so, we are telling you to jump off while you still can. Take the message how you want, at the end of the day, cash is king, and were only trying to help you.
I get what you’re trying to say and I believe you. I don’t understand why others don’t since we’re all women and men of science and facts and figures. The numbers show that what you all are saying is true and I know that. I’m sorry if you got the impression that I was not aware. I also understand that it’s hard for you all to believe that this is something that I’m still choosing to do. Likely, if any of you had the information about this profession that you have now, you probably wouldn’t have chosen it. I get that as well. I get that many people choose professions based on status, title, job demand, and salary but as for me, I can’t get with doing a job I’m not interested in for the rest of my life, all for the money otherwise I would have chosen to be a physician or dentist. This isn’t some ship trying to hop on board to. I’m far from an opportunist. I’m just trying to do this because simply put: this is what I want to do. My feelings aren’t hurt because my decision was never in the position to be swayed. I just didn’t like that you all keep talking to me like I’m stupid and saying slick things. Me responding with equal slickness =/= being hurt.

Lets be honest with each other, we knew we were getting paid serious gravy when most of us jumped onto this ship years ago. Now it's 2019 and the ship is nearly sunk. so, we are telling you to jump off while you still can. Take the message how you want, at the end of the day, cash is king, and were only trying to help you.

The fact that you have to explain this to Hope, should tell you something. It is amazing how little critical thinking skills some individuals have. In addition to what you have said, count yourself lucky as you don't have a $200,000 loan to pay off like the new grads who were LIED to have. Yet they aren't even able to have/start a family with the hours they are getting and the pay, which will keep them locked into slavery since they won't be able to pay off their loan.

I’m far from an opportunist. I’m just trying to do this because simply put: this is what I want to do. My feelings aren’t hurt because my decision was never in the position to be swayed. I just didn’t like that you all keep talking to me like I’m stupid and saying slick things. Me responding with equal slickness =/= being hurt.

You must come from money, because you clearly have no fear of being in debt and not being able to pay it off.

Reactions: 1 users
You must come from money, because you clearly have no fear of being in debt and not being able to pay it off.
Actually the opposite. Came from a single parent household with an income of well under 30k a year with 5 siblings. It’s literally the norm amongst most of the people in my community. Let’s just say debt and poverty is not my biggest fear because it has always been my life, but of course it’s not my goal. That’s why I chose to attend a school that costs about 20k less yearly than most other schools.

Actually the opposite. Came from a single parent household with an income of well under 30k a year with 5 siblings. It’s literally the norm amongst most of the people in my community. Let’s just say debt and poverty is not my biggest fear because it has always been my life, but of course it’s not my goal. That’s why I chose to attend a school that costs about 20k less yearly than most other schools.

Being poor is better than being in debt and being paid at a level that will keep you locked into debt for a long time. I suggest you learn more about the financial debt that students are currently carrying because it is clear that you aren't well informed. Art majors used to say the same thing you keep repeating about passion over and over and over again. Passion doesn't put food on the table and doesn't pay off your student loan.

Don't trust what the schools tell you, they only want your money and they don't care about the debt you will carry. The poor students are the first suckers the schools try to take advantage of because they know you don't have the resources and people to look after your well-being and they know you will receive gov aid, which makes the schools smile. This is not a profession that any pharmacist would recommend to any new student. If you think otherwise, you are a fool or you are being lied to by individuals that will benefit from your loss.

You can lead a horse to the water, but you can't make it drink. Therefore, I foresee you in debt and learning the hard way though so work on that repayment plan and budgetting for working as a part-time pharmacist without the resources to help your community.

Being poor is better than being in debt and being paid at a level that will keep you locked into debt for a long time. I suggest you learn more about the financial debt that students are currently carrying because it is clear that you aren't well informed. Art majors used to say the same thing you keep repeating about passion over and over and over again. Passion doesn't put food on the table and doesn't pay off your student loan.

Don't trust what the schools tell you, they only want your money and they don't care about the debt you will carry. The poor students are the first suckers the schools try to take advantage of because they know you don't have the resources and people to look after your well-being and they know you will receive gov aid, which makes the schools smile. This is not a profession that any pharmacist would recommend to any new student. If you think otherwise, you are a fool or you are being lied to by individuals that will benefit from your loss.

You can lead a horse to the water, but you can't make it drink. Therefore, I foresee you in debt and learning the hard way though so work on that repayment plan and budgetting for working as a part-time pharmacist without the resources to help your community.
Omg thank you for letting me know all of this information! I wish I would have done research or talked to many pharmacists on my own before choosing a career to do for the rest of my life! I’m such an idiot! I can’t believe I was actually considering going into a career where there was a chance that I’d be unemployed and in debt! I don’t know you and my life has no effect on yours but thank you so much for saving me! I’m gonna go to medical school instead! Praised be!
Hopefully this conversation will be over now.

I thought there were some very valid points in this thread. I would say if you can't take others viewpoints then this profession will eat you alive.

Just shut this thread down its a waste of time......constant blathering leading to nothing......I want to see all these youngsters go to school actually. Because they will be the catalyst for change. They will cause the loan bubble to pop,helping to lead into the next recession. Then i get to spend my money when everything goes cheap, houses, cars, boats.....etc.

I'm not sure hope is even a real person/situation. Been around 2+ years, only like 30 posts..... most right here..? what has she been doing all this time?

I'm not sure hope is even a real person/situation. Been around 2+ years, only like 30 posts..... most right here..? what has she been doing all this time?
I joined this site in undergrad. I didn’t post in every single thread like you guys. I just browsed. You all have rational points but your delivery sucks. You interrupt students’ conversations just to talk down on them. I understand trying to make prospective students aware the current state of the profession. But once they’ve gotten their warning and don’t care you all keep going and just get more and more disrespectful. I assume you don’t stop bothering people until they completely denounce the profession I suppose.

Just shut this thread down its a waste of time......constant blathering leading to nothing......I want to see all these youngsters go to school actually. Because they will be the catalyst for change. They will cause the loan bubble to pop,helping to lead into the next recession. Then i get to spend my money when everything goes cheap, houses, cars, boats.....etc.

And we better hope that they don't get their loans forgiven...at our expense.

And we better hope that they don't get their loans forgiven...at our expense.

Well, thats the good with the bad, you can bet when a person or entity is faced with collecting nothing or something (like during recession), they will take something. Deals will be cut.....i can seen that.
I joined this site in undergrad. I didn’t post in every single thread like you guys. I just browsed. You all have rational points but your delivery sucks. You interrupt students’ conversations just to talk down on them. I understand trying to make prospective students aware the current state of the profession. But once they’ve gotten their warning and don’t care you all keep going and just get more and more disrespectful. I assume you don’t stop bothering people until they completely denounce the profession I suppose.

no i respect you, i just was wondering why you have so little posts for a long term member ya know? Hey hope.... i really hope things turn out well for you. no pun intended. but understand, with no disrespect, you are getting involved in a real mess when it comes to pharmacy. believe it, please. take care, be well, over and out...

Reactions: 1 users

Haha! I like your style Soze... Boats and hoes...

well it was good for awhile, like gyngyn stated though...this thread just took its turn (surprised how long it lasted though).

Closing thread. For future advise for pre-pharms, please specify your interviews and acceptances to specific programs within the school discussions subforum.

Status
Not open for further replies.