UC Berkeley Chem Series Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cysky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my school, people usually take Chem1A (g-chem), Chem 3A/3AL (o-chem1), Chem 3B/3BL(o-chem 2), and a biochemistry (without lab) class.

How should I classify these classes? The Career Center suggests listing Chem 1A and Chem 3A/3AL as inorganic chemistry. Chem 3B/3BL and biochem organic chemistry.

Will I have a problem at schools that require 2 semesters of o-chem lab or those that require a biochem class?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

oh thanks, didn't see that thread.

I ran into this problem. It don't think it makes sense to allow Cal students to use one biochem course to fulfill two requirements, a semester of organic chem and a semester of biochem. But who knows, maybe schools do.

Fortunately for me, the I school I applied to that required biochem also accepted high school AP credit. So this is what I did, and it worked:

Gen chem semester 1 - AP Chem
Gen chem semester 2 - Chem 1A
Organic chem semester 1 - Chem 3A/3AL
Organic chem semester 2 - Chem 3B/3BL
Biochem - MCB 102 (I guess this is MCB 100A now?)

If you also took AP Chem and the schools you're interested in accepts AP credit, I think you should be fine. I would double check with the schools though.

GO BEARS!