jankodejenko

2+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Has anyone received or heard any information and/or personal stories from the UCBX. I have Ochem 1 and bio 1 to take next semester and wanted to know what I was getting myself into.

If you have any recommendations on professors, or about the legitimacy, anything would be appreciated. thanks. Anyone know the difference between getting into the post bacc program vs informal post bacc?

ecpresso

5+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I took Greg Watkins for Gen Chem 1+2 and OChem 1. He is a great professor and I would highly encourage anyone to take him. Unfortunately I believe he only teaches OChem 1 in the summer. I took Peter Stonebraker for OChem 2 and did not love his teaching style (powerpoint presentations, very messy handwriting when he does write out mechanisms on the board), but he provided a ton of weekly extra credit and was generous grader.

In general UCBX classroom courses are middling to good, whereas their online courses are very variable in quality. The post-bacc program is legitimate but is really geared towards independent students. There is no hand-holding if you do poorly and no prerequisites for any of the classes, so you can take them in whatever order you see fit. I'm doing a DIY post-bacc so I can't speak to the formal program, but from my understanding it just means that you get a mentor through the program and a LOR upon completion.

Reactions: Irinamel
Jan 11, 2018
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I took Greg Watkins for Gen Chem 1+2 and OChem 1. He is a great professor and I would highly encourage anyone to take him. Unfortunately I believe he only teaches OChem 1 in the summer. I took Peter Stonebraker for OChem 2 and did not love his teaching style (powerpoint presentations, very messy handwriting when he does write out mechanisms on the board), but he provided a ton of weekly extra credit and was generous grader.

In general UCBX classroom courses are middling to good, whereas their online courses are very variable in quality. The post-bacc program is legitimate but is really geared towards independent students. There is no hand-holding if you do poorly and no prerequisites for any of the classes, so you can take them in whatever order you see fit. I'm doing a DIY post-bacc so I can't speak to the formal program, but from my understanding it just means that you get a mentor through the program and a LOR upon completion.
Hi, I just read your comment and currently I am registered in Watkins gen chem one course. I was curious to know how the first couple of classes went. Also, what is his teaching style like?