This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tru108

DVM 2023
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Surprised that this thread has not been started yet! Davis is one of my top choices as well as my in-state! Third time applying but third times the charm! Excited and nervous for these next few months!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
How exciting! I'm here if anyone has any questions about school or the application process, I just started my second year.

Reactions: 1 users
First time applying as an OOS applicant... very hard but hoping for the best!

Members don't see this ad :)
First time applying, IS. :happy::love: #1 dream school.

How exciting! I'm here if anyone has any questions about school or the application process, I just started my second year.
When I was interning in YC's big fix rig, the fourth years mentioned that the vet school has like.. a communal dog room for students in class? Or something along those lines - I remember they also mentioned students getting mad at someone who brought a guinea pig??

When I was interning in YC's big fix rig, the fourth years mentioned that the vet school has like.. a communal dog room for students in class? Or something along those lines - I remember they also mentioned students getting mad at someone who brought a guinea pig??
Yes! Student's dogs are allowed in our homeroom as long as they are up to date on vaccinations and are well behaved and crate trained. For the first two weeks of class for first years they are not allowed because it needs to be passed by the student government and the first years don't have one yet so arrangements must be made.

Yes! Student's dogs are allowed in our homeroom as long as they are up to date on vaccinations and are well behaved and crate trained. For the first two weeks of class for first years they are not allowed because it needs to be passed by the student government and the first years don't have one yet so arrangements must be made.
Neat!

Hi all! Fellow UCD applicant, nontraditional, IS. Excited to follow along with the madness for the next few months! Good luck to all.

Vmcas verified, and just got the Davis portal link emailed to me. Ho-boy, another personal statement. :yuck: so close. so close. so close.

Reactions: 4 users
Vmcas verified, and just got the Davis portal link emailed to me. Ho-boy, another personal statement. :yuck: so close. so close. so close.
Same. I was so relieved when I thought I was done

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone had any luck contacting someone from admissions? emailed them a few days ago but haven't heard back yet ;(

has anyone had any luck contacting someone from admissions? emailed them a few days ago but haven't heard back yet ;(

Yes, I messaged them through the portal on 9/6 and heard back on 9/10.

On another note, I noticed the personal statement question is very similar to one of the LSU essay questions (if anyone else is applying there as well).

Yes, I messaged them through the portal on 9/6 and heard back on 9/10.

On another note, I noticed the personal statement question is very similar to one of the LSU essay questions (if anyone else is applying there as well).

ok thanks! I'll wait a couple more days then

What do you guys think they're looking for in the essay? Particularly the how you've contributed to diversity part? Kind of stumped/confused by that part :writer:

Anyone else completed the Supplemental yet?

From what it looks like, it seems as though if you have everything on the checklist done, it submits for you once the deadline hits... In that you can’t submit before the deadline.

Is this true? It mentions that “Application Complete” will pop up in the Application Status but mine just simply says that I have completed everything, so just curious

Anyone else completed the Supplemental yet?

From what it looks like, it seems as though if you have everything on the checklist done, it submits for you once the deadline hits... In that you can’t submit before the deadline.

Is this true? It mentions that “Application Complete” will pop up in the Application Status but mine just simply says that I have completed everything, so just curious

For anyone interested... I completed it yesterday and today I got a message “Application Complete” in the portal

First time applying, OOS student, but obviously UCD is high up on my list of choices (if I am lucky enough to have a choice.) VMCAS verified today, looking forward to one more essay and then being done... until interviews anyway!

Reactions: 1 user
Is it humanly possible to live in Berkeley as a student at Davis? My wife has a job in San Francisco.

Is it humanly possible to live in Berkeley as a student at Davis? My wife has a job in San Francisco.
It's possible if you're willing to commute! There are also shuttles to/from UC Berkeley to Davis every day

It is possible, but most people who have spouses working in the bay area find a place in the middle because the commute makes life very difficult as a vet student. You'll lose a lot of opportunities for club things and study sessions because you won't want to stay late. It's definitely not impossible and people have done it. I think it's just not recommended for most people.

How long after your app was verified did Davis send the secondary app? I JUST got verified!

Hi guys - Is anyone going to the UCD Veterinary Continuing Education Fall Festival this upcoming Sunday? Thinking of going to sit in on some sessions and seeing if anyone else here is also going.

Aside from the considerations that Coopah mentioned, during clinics there will be times when you'll have to be within a certain radius of the teaching hospital because of being on call, so you'll have to stay closer to Davis during those rotations. I had a classmate who lived fairly far away (not as far as Berkeley, but pretty far to the west) and he had to stay with other classmates when he was on certain rotations.

We have one week until the application is completely out of our hands. :soexcited:

Would anyone be willing to let me know the components of the Davis supplemental app and the personal statement prompt? I'm still waiting on VMCAS verification (it has been 3 1/2 weeks and they've assured me there are no issues) so I'm not sure when verification will happen and I will actually get access to the Davis supplemental. If possible, I would really like to have everything that I will need completed and ready to submit as soon as I do get access. Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help me out!

Would anyone be willing to let me know the components of the Davis supplemental app and the personal statement prompt? I'm still waiting on VMCAS verification (it has been 3 1/2 weeks and they've assured me there are no issues) so I'm not sure when verification will happen and I will actually get access to the Davis supplemental. If possible, I would really like to have everything that I will need completed and ready to submit as soon as I do get access. Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help me out!

Yes! I'll DM you with the question!

So turns out your messaging is off, but here it is:

The purpose of this personal statement is to get to know you as an individual and as a potential veterinary student. Please describe how your personal background informs your decision to pursue a veterinary degree. You can include any educational, familial, cultural, economic, or social experiences, challenges, community service, outreach activities, or opportunities relevant to your academic journey. In your response, please consider how your life experiences contribute to the social, intellectual, or cultural diversity within a campus community and your chosen field, or how you might serve educationally underrepresented or underserved segments of society with your veterinary education. (Limit 2000 characters including spaces.)

So turns out your messaging is off, but here it is:

The purpose of this personal statement is to get to know you as an individual and as a potential veterinary student. Please describe how your personal background informs your decision to pursue a veterinary degree. You can include any educational, familial, cultural, economic, or social experiences, challenges, community service, outreach activities, or opportunities relevant to your academic journey. In your response, please consider how your life experiences contribute to the social, intellectual, or cultural diversity within a campus community and your chosen field, or how you might serve educationally underrepresented or underserved segments of society with your veterinary education. (Limit 2000 characters including spaces.)

Ah, thank you so much!! Having this makes me feel the tiniest bit less stressed about getting everything in

You may want to consider calling the school and telling them your situation. They may give you access to the supplemental before your vmcas is verified if they have a specific due date, which sounds like it’s a week from now. That way you WON’T have to worry about not having much time once your vmcas IS verified.

You may want to consider calling the school and telling them your situation. They may give you access to the supplemental before your vmcas is verified if they have a specific due date, which sounds like it’s a week from now. That way you WON’T have to worry about not having much time once your vmcas IS verified.

I have already contacted them, but thank you!

Hi! I’m currently a first year at UC Davis! I remember this time last year looking at this forum all the time and stressing out like you guys must be. I’m more than happy to answer any questions y’all may have about applying, interviews, Davis or whatever! I can say it’s been such a great experience so far and I wish you guys the best of luck.

Hi! I’m currently a first year at UC Davis! I remember this time last year looking at this forum all the time and stressing out like you guys must be. I’m more than happy to answer any questions y’all may have about applying, interviews, Davis or whatever! I can say it’s been such a great experience so far and I wish you guys the best of luck.
:hello: I'm not sure if we've met but we totally should. Hope you're enjoying first year and the first week of heme!

I am freaking out!! I got an email October 24th that I stupidly checked that I was out of state (I guess on my secondary application?) when I am actually instate, with a deadline for the same day to confirm. Of course, that email got sent to my junk and I just saw it today and replied. I called admissions and they said that in the system it still says I'm instate... had this happened to anyone else/do you think I'll be okay?

I am freaking out!! I got an email October 24th that I stupidly checked that I was out of state (I guess on my secondary application?) when I am actually instate, with a deadline for the same day to confirm. Of course, that email got sent to my junk and I just saw it today and replied. I called admissions and they said that in the system it still says I'm instate... had this happened to anyone else/do you think I'll be okay?
If you called admissions don't worry, everything will be sorted out. If you're still concerned you can send an email so you have it in writing. Don't worry this might be the one school that's chill about OOS vs IS.

Does anyone know when we might be hearing back from admissions about interview invites? We have one month until their scheduled interview dates and plane tickets are only going to increase in price from here (I'm worried about dumping too much money into flights right now)

Does anyone know when we might be hearing back from admissions about interview invites? We have one month until their scheduled interview dates and plane tickets are only going to increase in price from here (I'm worried about dumping too much money into flights right now)

IMG_1813.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

I went to Davis undergrad. A friend who attended an admissions meeting for a club last night notified me that they might be out by Friday. Just as a heads up. But it honestly could be next week, too!

Reactions: 4 users
I went to Davis undergrad. A friend who attended an admissions meeting for a club last night notified me that they might be out by Friday. Just as a heads up. But it honestly could be next week, too!
So exciting and nerve racking

Does anyone know if there's a certain percent value given to each of the science GPA, last 45 hour GPA and quantitative GRE scores? I'm curious if they're all worth the same or not.

So exciting and nerve racking

My stomach's been turning since November 1 for all schools tbh. I know you're applying to similar schools as me so I'm betting you're feeling the same way, too.

Does anyone know if there's a certain percent value given to each of the science GPA, last 45 hour GPA and quantitative GRE scores? I'm curious if they're all worth the same or not.

I believe the last 45 is weighted the most, then SciGPA I think. I remember a looooonng time ago someone from my department knew the exact equation but I can't recall it for the life of me. But I DO know 45 is heavily weighted. For them, they've done research and the last 45 is an indicator of how well you'll do in their program. If it's high it usually correlates to success. But @Coopah might know a little more.

Reactions: 3 users
My stomach's been turning since November 1 for all schools tbh. I know you're applying to similar schools as me so I'm betting you're feeling the same way, too.
I’ve seen you on similar pages! Hopefully you and I hear some good news and maybe who knows end up as classmates!!

@current Davis Students

Any advice on how best to prepare for interviews? Also on MMI day for Davis, is it just the interviews or do they also provide other events like campus tours and such?

(Haven’t heard back on interviews yet; just trying to get my mind off the suspenseful wait!!)

@KDeVore is correct. They weight last 45 then science GPA then quant GRE then how your letters of rec ranked you in different categories. However Davis is looking into a more wholistic approach and as of last year if you didn't fall into the top 180 of IS applicants the next 300ish (I don't know the exact number) got wholistic reviews. The process changes from year to year and your best bet for correct and full information is the school if you have any questions regarding applications.

@current Davis Students

Any advice on how best to prepare for interviews? Also on MMI day for Davis, is it just the interviews or do they also provide other events like campus tours and such?

(Haven’t heard back on interviews yet; just trying to get my mind off the suspenseful wait!!)
Practice answering questions on a time frame, you don't want to much or too little time left over at the end. Just be a normal human being capable of talking and you'll be fine. Remember if you get an interview you have the academics they want. Now all you have to do is be a nice person.

Do MMI scenarios require you to have studied/prepared beforehand? Like on ethics or current issues?