UC Davis for pre-med vs small liberal arts school?

JadeLaura

Reaction score
I am a biology major who is interested in pre-med and wants to go to medical school. I am choosing between a small liberal arts school (University of Puget Sound) and UC Davis for undergrad, and I do not know which one can best prepare me for medical school. In high school I had a very strong gpa.

I am worried that in a very large campus like Davis, it will be difficult to stand out as an applicant and get a very high gpa, since the student body is more competitive, and it is difficult to build relations with teachers for letters of recommendation. However, Davis is more prestigious, and can have more opportunities in the health field. At a small liberal arts school, it could be easier to obtain a higher gpa since the classes are more personalized, but there are also could be less opportunities for pre-med.

I do not know which school to choose, and what will better prepare me for the MCAT and medical school in general. My primary concern is obtaining a high gpa, and how difficult it is to do so at UC Davis. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely go wherever you think you can perform the best. I chose a smaller school over the University of Michigan and definitely feel like I have gotten more opportunities for being a "big fish in a small pond," that I wouldn't have gotten at the more 'prestigious' university. For college in general it is super important to attend the place you feel you belong and are most comfortable, because that is what is going to ultimately determine your performance.