uc davis rejection email

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PreMedAdAG said:
They really have the nicest admissions office ever. Just call and ask.

"better" UCs? hmm.. I don't know about that

No offense was meant at all. I'm just trying to rationalize it (and make myself feel better). I know that Davis is an awesome school.

Members don't see this ad.

UCLAstudent said:
No offense was meant at all. I'm just trying to rationalize it (and make myself feel better). I know that Davis is an awesome school.
ok then... :)

(i'm just a little biased I guess!! :love: )

PreMedAdAG said:
ok then... :)

(i'm just a little biased I guess!! :love: )

Hahaha ... congratulations to you, by the way! :thumbup: :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got rejected from Davis this morning, too!

I know Davis is an cool school, but now that they've hurt my feelings I'm mad at them and have decided they suck! They don't know what kind of fabulous they're missin! Plleeaase don't bother arguing about this and defending Davis. I know this is purely an emotional response to a blow to my ego. I wash my hands of them.

Oh, and for those wondering, this rejection was POST-secondary so they already stole my money and my hours of labor on the secondary... Makes the pain all the deeper.

Do any of you August MCAT takers know if Davis had your scores before rejecting you? I know some of you mentioned calling, but I didn't see an update on that. Thanks!

CaMD said:
I just got rejected from Davis this morning, too!

I know Davis is an cool school, but now that they've hurt my feelings I'm mad at them and have decided they suck! They don't know what kind of fabulous they're missin! Plleeaase don't bother arguing about this and defending Davis. I know this is purely an emotional response to a blow to my ego. I wash my hands of them.

That sucks. When were you complete, CaMD? I'm gettin more nervous by da day.

Ag4Life said:
That sucks. When were you complete, CaMD? I'm gettin more nervous by da day.

Late August. Like maybe the 20th or so...

I am an August MCATer and I will call Davis in an hour when I get off of work to go to lunch....I will keep you updated.

Khenon said:
Do any of you August MCAT takers know if Davis had your scores before rejecting you? I know some of you mentioned calling, but I didn't see an update on that. Thanks!

I got the rejection email from davis yesterday and they just received the August MCAT TODAY. I called and they said they were pulling my file out to review with my Aug scores. I guess they failed to see that I marked "Aug 2004 MCAT" on my primary, which is an understandable mistake since they're screening 4000+ applications.

I forgive them as long as they give me an interview. :)

CA med app said:
I got the rejection email from davis yesterday and they just received the August MCAT TODAY. I called and they said they were pulling my file out to review with my Aug scores. I guess they failed to see that I marked "Aug 2004 MCAT" on my primary, which is an understandable mistake since they're screening 4000+ applications.

I forgive them as long as they give me an interview. :)

Was August the 2nd time you took the MCAT? If not, they might've been screening based on GPA alone.

Uegis said:
Was August the 2nd time you took the MCAT? If not, they might've been screening based on GPA alone.

It was my 2nd time.

ok guys..i just called and talked to the admission office at davis. turns out, i was rejected based on my last MCAT scores. the lady told me that i was rejected "M" (some kind of code they use). I asked her what that means and she said she can't tell me. but I suspect "M" mean "MCAT screen," meaning that I was rejected because I didn't get a certain number in one of the sections on the MCAT (i suspect at last 7 on each section).

So right now, my application is pulled from the rejection pile and back into the screen. The lady mentioned some kind of worksheet she needed to fill out and that the admission dean has to sign it. I have no idea what that means...but the bottom line is...if you are an aug mcater and you received a rejection email yesterday...give them a call!!!! good luck my fellow sdners

sdnstud said:
I am an August MCATer and I will call Davis in an hour when I get off of work to go to lunch....I will keep you updated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those of you that were rejected... is your status page also updated to show this status?

I ask because I can't access my email for the next couple of days, and am wondering if I might have already received the dreaded 'R' letter.

Have also been rejected from Davis. Am terribly depressed. I really did have my heart set on coming back to CA. Now it seems like its getting more and more hopeless. Today makes 6 weeks for UCSF, so I've been anxiously awaiting their pre-secondary rejection too. I wasn't a terribly weak applicant, nor a strong one. But, its still kind of disappointing. I know I should probably get used to this feeling though. :( All I can say is boo.

heech said:
Those of you that were rejected... is your status page also updated to show this status?

I ask because I can't access my email for the next couple of days, and am wondering if I might have already received the dreaded 'R' letter.

I can no longer log in at the status page.

well if you're not a CA resident on AMCAS, you shouldn't be too depressed about not getting love from the UCs....they don't give non-CA residents much of a chance, no matter how brilliant the applicant is.

supersnuffles said:
Have also been rejected from Davis. Am terribly depressed. I really did have my heart set on coming back to CA. Now it seems like its getting more and more hopeless. Today makes 6 weeks for UCSF, so I've been anxiously awaiting their pre-secondary rejection too. I wasn't a terribly weak applicant, nor a strong one. But, its still kind of disappointing. I know I should probably get used to this feeling though. :( All I can say is boo.

hmm....so hopefully after the qualified people with good numbers get rejected from davis, there won't be enough applicants left and i'll get a secondary with my crappy numbers:) ....really though, it really is quite odd that highly qualified people aren't even getting secondaries from them...i've been waiting 3+ months for a pre-secondary rejection.

sunUCB said:
well if you're not a CA resident on AMCAS, you shouldn't be too depressed about not getting love from the UCs....they don't give non-CA residents much of a chance, no matter how brilliant the applicant is.

I AM a CA resident. I've been out of state for undergraduate and grad. Would that hurt me? Gah. Still sad. Still awaiting the final blow from UCSF. Owww. :scared:

supersnuffles said:
I AM a CA resident. I've been out of state for undergraduate and grad. Would that hurt me? Gah. Still sad. Still awaiting the final blow from UCSF. Owww. :scared:

UCSF takes longer to send out secondaries. It might still be coming.

Uegis said:
UCSF takes longer to send out secondaries. It might still be coming.

So is the fact that I received my seconardy from UCSF early a good indication? Also, for those of you who haven't seen my phenomenal scores on other posts, I got 22N in April and 23Q in August . . . AND I'm out of state. I honestly don't understand why they sent me a seconary. I applied early, so maybe it was one of those things where the first 50 applications gets a secondary regardless. That's all I can think. I'm truly confused. FYI: I'm NOT a URM.

Khenon said:
So is the fact that I received my seconardy from UCSF early a good indication? Also, for those of you who haven't seen my phenomenal scores on other posts, I got 22N in April and 23Q in August . . . AND I'm out of state. I honestly don't understand why they sent me a seconary. I applied early, so maybe it was one of those things where the first 50 applications gets a secondary regardless. That's all I can think. I'm truly confused. FYI: I'm NOT a URM.

I'm not surprised. From reading your other thread, you have some unique life experiences. UCSF likes a diverse student body and take mostly non-traditional applicants. Though your MCAT scores are low, its not a hurdle that is impossible to jump over. Have more faith in yourself, aim high, and leave the rest to the adcoms :thumbup: . Good luck with the whole process!

Uegis said:
I'm not surprised. From reading your other thread, you have some unique life experiences. UCSF likes a diverse student body and take mostly non-traditional applicants. Though your MCAT scores are low, its not a hurdle that is impossible to jump over. Have more faith in yourself, aim high, and leave the rest to the adcoms :thumbup: . Good luck with the whole process!

Wow! Thank you! :D I have so much negativity about my score, that I'm going to hold on to your reply for dear life! That was so nice to hear. I hope you're right. And I wish you the best in whatever you're doing (applying? attending?). Take care.

Khenon said:
Wow! Thank you! :D I have so much negativity about my score, that I'm going to hold on to your reply for dear life! That was so nice to hear. I hope you're right. And I wish you the best in whatever you're doing (applying? attending?). Take care.

Yah, I agree. Props to UCSF for looking at the applicant, not just using number cutoffs. That makes a much better doctor, IMO.

Khenon said:
don't mean to poop on your party, but usually when someone is taking the august mcat, UCSF uses some formula based on GPA to calculate what that person's MCAT score would be and uses that number to evaluate the applicant. That could explain how you got a secondary from them even with a weak mcat score.

Uegis said:
Swimerpaco, did you just go to the seminar too?

I was there...

DrYo12 said:
I was there...

Did you go today for Dr. Tucker's talk too? He was great, funny guy. If i get the opportunity to interview at Davis, I would want him to be my interviewer.

Uegis said:
Did you go today for Dr. Tucker's talk too? He was great, funny guy. If i get the opportunity to interview at Davis, I would want him to be my interviewer.
i was there too. yeah, he's really nice and funny. if you ever get the chance, take CHA 101-he teaches part of the course.

dc123 said:
i was there too. yeah, he's really nice and funny. if you ever get the chance, take CHA 101-he teaches part of the course.

Yup, took that two years ago. Dr. Gross and Dr. Tucker are both great instructors. Hope I can put all of Dr. Tucker's advice to good use during my interviews.

I am obsessively checking my email ever since this thread started...hoping that I don't receive the dreaded email that will break my heart.

Also, at the conference I attended, Dr. Bera said that UC Davis like non-traditional applicants. Their avg. age of students matriculating is 28, which is slightly older than other schools that average around the age of 25, I think. He said they look for people with unique experiences. He mentioned a female student that was a firefighter (or was that UCSF?) several times. So if you have something that not a lot of other people have done or have the opportunity to write about, then milk it! :)

Where is the love? Got the rejection from UCD today. :thumbdown: I've been a UCD groupie for the last 10 years now (went there for undergrad, still working there a few years after grad), so I'm disappointed that I've been rejected.

I thought I had done all the right things, prepared the best app I could with what I had to work with, blah, blah, blah, but the bottom line is that the situation behind each rejection is different.

For a long time, I've been trying to figure out the admission process, trying to overanalyse why some people got rejections, other secondaries, still others interviews, and even though it doesn't make sense to us, there's some kind of justifiable reason for their decision.

Here's what I know about UCD admissions--just let this swim awhile in your head before you immediately reject/criticise/disagree...

UCD, as all other competitive UC schools, is looking for people who make the grade. Subpar GPAs can be supplemented by a decent MCAT and bad MCATs can be explained within the context of a good GPA. The numbers game usually isn't the best way to figure out your chances at Davis. Here's what can make or break most people in the first round of screens for secondaries: the personal statment. Even though the school is busy and there are many applicants, etc, etc, a good personal statment is something that can initially set you apart and get you a secondary even if your GPA or MCAT are nothing spectacular.

What's the other factor: ECs. Anyone who's heard Ed Dagang over in admissions give his talk on campus (or e-mailed him or spoken with him in person) knows that there are certain things that everyone will have done. Everyone will have hospital experiences, such as volunteering in an ER or somesuch interny thing to do. These are given and the red flag comes when there isn't anything simply because they ask themselves if you even know what you're getting into without them. What sets you apart is when you've got something spectacular. I was at a talk where someone asked Ed what kinds of things are 'unique' and he wouldn't say simply because he didn't want everyone to go out and do that particular thing. At the EC part of the process, they'll be looking for not just hospital stuff, but something that they can distinguish you from everyone else. They want to be able to say "oh yeah, that's the guy/gal that did XXX (enter Olympic athlete, opened a clinic, went abroad, etc). I know this is cheesy and unrealistic to think that somehow everyone will have this golden nugget of an activity, but its what makes the difference for lots of us "on the border" folks.

After talking with some of the people throughout the years at UCDSOM, it boils down to this: if you're not a complete package (ECs, LORs, numbers) AND you haven't convinced someone on paper that you're worth interviewing/having in the entering class...you end up on this thread and either try again or go somewhere else.

Yes, yes, I know most of this isn't earthshatteringly new information for anyone, but you also know that its a pretty arbitrary process at some schools that are numbers driven. I suppose I just wanted to make everyone feel better that if you've been rejected from UCD it doesn't mean you're a reject or that you wouldn't hack it at Davis...it just means Davis probably isn't the right place for you.

That being said, I'm still sad I wasn't superhuman enough to get into Davis. :(

::cringing from the potential response to this post::

wtf? After you pay to apply there they can't foot a thirty-seven cent stamp?

:mad:

boilerbeast said:
wtf? After you pay to apply there they can't foot a thirty-seven cent stamp?

:mad:

Would a paper rejection have made you fell any better? At least this way it comes faster than snail mail. I think the message is more important than the mode of delivery

DrYo12 said:
Where is the love? Got the rejection from UCD today. :thumbdown: I've been a UCD groupie for the last 10 years now (went there for undergrad, still working there a few years after grad), so I'm disappointed that I've been rejected.

I thought I had done all the right things, prepared the best app I could with what I had to work with, blah, blah, blah, but the bottom line is that the situation behind each rejection is different.

For a long time, I've been trying to figure out the admission process, trying to overanalyse why some people got rejections, other secondaries, still others interviews, and even though it doesn't make sense to us, there's some kind of justifiable reason for their decision.

Here's what I know about UCD admissions--just let this swim awhile in your head before you immediately reject/criticise/disagree...

UCD, as all other competitive UC schools, is looking for people who make the grade. Subpar GPAs can be supplemented by a decent MCAT and bad MCATs can be explained within the context of a good GPA. The numbers game usually isn't the best way to figure out your chances at Davis. Here's what can make or break most people in the first round of screens for secondaries: the personal statment. Even though the school is busy and there are many applicants, etc, etc, a good personal statment is something that can initially set you apart and get you a secondary even if your GPA or MCAT are nothing spectacular.

What's the other factor: ECs. Anyone who's heard Ed Dagang over in admissions give his talk on campus (or e-mailed him or spoken with him in person) knows that there are certain things that everyone will have done. Everyone will have hospital experiences, such as volunteering in an ER or somesuch interny thing to do. These are given and the red flag comes when there isn't anything simply because they ask themselves if you even know what you're getting into without them. What sets you apart is when you've got something spectacular. I was at a talk where someone asked Ed what kinds of things are 'unique' and he wouldn't say simply because he didn't want everyone to go out and do that particular thing. At the EC part of the process, they'll be looking for not just hospital stuff, but something that they can distinguish you from everyone else. They want to be able to say "oh yeah, that's the guy/gal that did XXX (enter Olympic athlete, opened a clinic, went abroad, etc). I know this is cheesy and unrealistic to think that somehow everyone will have this golden nugget of an activity, but its what makes the difference for lots of us "on the border" folks.

After talking with some of the people throughout the years at UCDSOM, it boils down to this: if you're not a complete package (ECs, LORs, numbers) AND you haven't convinced someone on paper that you're worth interviewing/having in the entering class...you end up on this thread and either try again or go somewhere else.

Yes, yes, I know most of this isn't earthshatteringly new information for anyone, but you also know that its a pretty arbitrary process at some schools that are numbers driven. I suppose I just wanted to make everyone feel better that if you've been rejected from UCD it doesn't mean you're a reject or that you wouldn't hack it at Davis...it just means Davis probably isn't the right place for you.

That being said, I'm still sad I wasn't superhuman enough to get into Davis. :(

::cringing from the potential response to this post::

Sorry to hear that, DrYo. I've only been complete for a few weeks, so I don't expect to hear from them for a while. Like Ed said, UCD is very competitive. Heck, getting into medical school is very competitive. Its difficult to predict under what conditions any school rejects you by. Don't let it get to you and just concentrate on those other schools you have lined up. In four years, you can come back to Sac/Davis and do your residency and become a UCD groupie again! Good luck with your interviews!

bump...just thought that this was a great thing to read for davis applicants and it makes a lot of sense seeing how much detail uc davis asks for in the secondary

lakersfan said:
bump...just thought that this was a great thing to read for davis applicants and it makes a lot of sense seeing how much detail uc davis asks for in the secondary

so what did everyone write for the 2nd question about what you'd be if medicine didn't exist? i thought that was the most fun question to answer :).

Anybody got updates on Davis? I still haven't heard anything. Are they having "down time?"

Also, how do other UC's give out rejections? I know Davis sends an email . . . how about the other's? I've applied to just about every UC, but I haven't seen or heard anything from any of them (except the secondary I got from UCSF a million years ago).

passthesashimi said:
so what did everyone write for the 2nd question about what you'd be if medicine didn't exist? i thought that was the most fun question to answer :).

I put down biblical archaeologist....I'm not religious but I read a novel where the protagonist was one and it sounded awesome!

cammy1313 said:
I put down biblical archaeologist....I'm not religious but I read a novel where the protagonist was one and it sounded awesome!
I put medical management (I would go into a field that manages whatever the new healthcare system in America would be)...thats prolly one of hte reasons why they will reject me right off the bat, lol

DrYo12 said:
They want to be able to say "oh yeah, that's the guy/gal that did XXX (enter Olympic athlete, opened a clinic, went abroad, etc).

If I get in this year I'll be "the one that didn't do any hospital volunteer work"