UC Davis, School of Medicine c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello there, future first years! I'm currently a fourth year at UCD and have been reading your posts here and there.

I wanted to congratulate you on your acceptance at UC Davis. It is a fantastic school and the administration and students have worked hard to make it a great learning environment and prepare you well for your careers. That being said, we were the first class with the new curriculum and I'm sure things have changed a bit based on our recommendations and feedback.

There is a "college" support system in place with multiple colleges that divide the students up usually based on various aspects of your applications. You'll find out more about this at orientation. Unfortunately with the budget cuts in California, the orientation/retreat might be a little slimmer than usual. You can't blame UC Davis for this, this effect is across the CA schools (with the exception of privates). At any rate, get to know these people in your college system. They will be in your doctoring classes and provide support for you when times get tough (and they will).

Block 1 for me was the toughest. If you haven't been in school for a few years, it may be even harder. Why, back in my day, we had quizzes every Monday (so our weekend was effectively nil). This has changed to about every other week so you can go out of town if you need to every once in a while.

All in all, I feel prepared for my residency. A previous poster mentioned UC Davis students being "coddled" and the school is not as "militant" as others. I would agree that several UC Davis students have, in the past, taken the path of least resistance to getting their degree. On rotations this shows as wanting to leave early, not taking responsibility for your patients, etc. But this is all third and fourth year stuff. Just work your butt off and get along with your team and you'll do fine.

I wanted to speak briefly about the induction ceremony. It's nice, and you can bring as many family members as you like. The stethoscopes you will receive IMO should be sold at Toys 'R Us for kids. It's a nice gesture from the administration but trust me you'll want to invest in something a little more robust. I saw fellow students taping their stethoscopes together after several weeks of use. I personally recommend the Welch Allyn Harvey Elite. It comes with a CD that has heart sounds. Go to steeles.com and its about 120 bucks. Most students go with the Littman cardiology 3 or something and I guess I just wanted to be different (plus, it's cheaper). I hear things they can't and I believe you will too.

You are about to begin on a long journey that is filled with excitement, ups, downs, at times anxiety but mostly filled with satisfaction. Put forth your best effort and learn all you can. Med school is like drinking through a fire hose at times but you'll do fine. We're here for you, and can't wait to meet you when you start later this month. :luck:

PS: Get that vacation in... NOW!!!!! If I were you, I wouldn't even be on this forum!!!

All the best,

firebird69guy

Members don't see this ad.