UC Irvine interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diogenes

Succat
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone that has interviewd at Irvine: what's good/bad about their interviews, and what should I be sure to see/ask? Any other perspectives on Irvine also welcome....

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! Congratulations on your interview! The interview day is very laid back...you have one with a student and one with a faculty member (usually with someone at the hospital...which is a drive away, but when I was there, they provided a shuttle). Also, when I was there, the campus tour was held before hte interview day officially began...be sure to go to that as that is the only chance you will have to see the facilities. As for questions...whatever interests you :)

Here were my responses to another SDNers questions regarding Irvine.

1) Who interviewed you? I had a second year medical student interview at 12 pm. It went for about an hour and we sat outside on a bench. It was pretty informal, not as detailed as some others have been. He was an older student like me, so I wonder if they do a little matching. My second interview was at the medical center at 2 pm. There was a shuttle to take us there. He was an anesthesiologist and had started med school at the age of 40. I will be 30. Once again, I wonder if they match us up.
2) What year was your medical student interview? Second year.

3) How is the day planned? What do you do, etc? When are your interviews (morning or after everything in the afternoon)? First was a tour which I liked. It was as good a tour as any other I have taken. Then we were given about 30 minutes to ask any question to two second year students that we wanted with no one else in the room. (There were at least 30 of us interviewees.) Then they talked to us about housing and financial aid. Then we got lunch, then interviews. It is possible that you could be one of the few that had an early interview though.

4) Were you told when you'd get feedback? I interviewed on Jan 10th and Gayle said that our batch would probably be reviewed in late February!!

5) Any HMO questions? I did not have any, but I asked one of my own to the interviewer. I have not gotten one of these yet (UCI was interview #4).

6) Any ethical questions? Not really. They did ask if I thought there were ethical decisions to be made in medicine and how my religious beliefs would impact how I made ethical decisions.

Let me know if I can help you in any other way! Good luck. I liked UCI personally.