UC medical schools don't give preferences to CA residents?!??!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiring20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just visited UCI school of medicine's website and it explicitly states that in-state residents are not given preferences. i've also heard many on this site claiming that UCs as a whole do not factor in state-residence when making decisions

is this true? if it is...then it really isn't fair for CA residents...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe Davis has a pretty strong in state bias.

that's good to hear.

it's a bit frustrating to know that while every other state school strongly favors in-state applicants (and i mean by a huge margin - literally 20% chance acceptance for some schools), UC schools are so...

The UCs are heartless. Expect no bias. It really does put so many cali premeds in a disadvantaged situation.

that's good to hear.

it's a bit frustrating to know that while every other state school strongly favors in-state applicants (and i mean by a huge margin - literally 20% chance acceptance for some schools), UC schools are so...

Yeah, it makes application time so much more nerve wracking. Why can't I live in a state like Ohio or Texas that has multiple IS favoring med schools? :(

UC's suck. I've lived here my entire life so far and want to live here forever, but that's not gonna happen at this point.

UCSD and UCSF definitely give preference to California residents, according to the FAQs on their websites. Now granted, both schools are extremely tough to get into and still take a good amount of OOS students...but at least we get a little bit of help.

Even with an in state bias, there's so many Cali applicants that the schools could be 100% in favor of in state applicants and we'd still see a mass migration of Cali applicants to OOS schools.

It's the same over here. Every other province, except for Ontario, gives preference to in province applicants. If you are a permanent resident of Nova Scotia, you are pretty much guaranteed acceptance. It sucks and is totally unfair :(

Well, they're not gonna say that they have strong in state preference...

I think most state schools mention their IS preference/requirement if they have one. From what I've heard, UC definitely does not have a preference.

Members don't see this ad :)
What? No in-state preference? What do they do then, just judge applicants based on merit?

What? No in-state preference? What do they do then, just judge applicants based on merit?

yeah I heard that too at my UCI interview--they said they don't give explicit instate preference for final decisions. That being said, the numbers work out to have more instate students because there are so many of us in CA and we're more likely to apply UC's--at my interview almost everyone in the room was from CA. They might be more selective at the secondary and II level, but I guess being in-state doesn't give us extra "points" when making final admissions decisions.

yeah I heard that too at my UCI interview--they said they don't give explicit instate preference for final decisions. That being said, the numbers work out to have more instate students because there are so many of us in CA and we're more likely to apply UC's--at my interview almost everyone in the room was from CA. They might be more selective at the secondary and II level, but I guess being in-state doesn't give us extra "points" when making final admissions decisions.

I think it's also due to the fact that California applicants are more competitive since they tend to be more prepared and have stronger applications in general. There were a ton of California people at most of my interviews and the people I talked to were pretty impressive.

If you've got the application you've got one of the best state schools in the country; and UCSF definitely favors in state. UCLA claims not to care, but their numbers suggest otherwise IIRC. Dunno about the others.

Is 70% resident attendance a strong in-state bias? Comparatively

Only if you assume that all applicants to California schools have similar qualifications.

They say they don't, but the numbers don't lie. A majority are from instate.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that there's no bias but that there's a difference between correlation and causation. There are other factors, such as the quality of the applications from different regions or perhaps people from California demonstrated their interest better, letting the schools know that they have ties to the region and will attend that school. I've heard that many people from the UCs are interested in going into healthcare. If you know you're competing against top people, you're going to step up your game because you know who you're up against. Also, if UCSF is competing with Harvard and Yale for the same top applicant, how can they ensure that this applicant will attend their school if accepted? It's probably more than just "oh this guy is a California resident, let's pick him".

this might be difficult to answer, but on average, do the UCs place more emphasis on GPA or MCAT?

i know these two are the 1 and 2 factors in just about all med schools, but i also know that schools do have clear preferences of one over the other.

Is 70% resident attendance a strong in-state bias? Comparatively

Considering a lot of public FL schools have 90%+ in-state preference, 70% is weak. That's an additional 20+ spots going to OOS. I feel like Texas has a 90%+ in-state preference too.

this might be difficult to answer, but on average, do the UCs place more emphasis on GPA or MCAT?

i know these two are the 1 and 2 factors in just about all med schools, but i also know that schools do have clear preferences of one over the other.

Go look at the school-specific threads and see how many applicants got rejected pre/post secondary with 3.8+ gpas and 35+ mcats

keep in mind theres a financial motivation to take more OOS students as well, seeing how all UC undergrads are doing the same.

I have cousins that go to undergrad at some of the UCs. I really don't know why California is so stingy with it's instate spots vs. Texas. I wonder if it's political, but then again aren't democrats supposed to be more altruistic. There education system seems in shambles. My cousins told me they raise tuition like 30% each year. At many of the other non-UC schools they don't even have enough money to provide classes students need. I thought democrats are supposed to care about education. They do so much world class research there and the schools are well known. Doesn't that generate enough revenue? I just really don't understand California. 70% is just not enough for California's premed situation. There are tons of premeds and they are cutting spots for residents who are paying taxes. I'd be infuriated. I think UC schools are even more open to offering non-US residents spot as well if you are qualified. Although Texas is a republican state, they seem to care about their residents by offering 90% of their slots to instate residents. They offer cheap and affordable tuition. You can apply to all 8 TX schools for $145. What's so different about California that they can't do the same? I thought Republicans are more money hungry than Democrats. In this situation, it seems like the opposite.

I have cousins that go to undergrad at some of the UCs. I really don't know why California is so stingy with it's instate spots vs. Texas. I wonder if it's political, but then again aren't democrats supposed to be more altruistic. There education system seems in shambles. My cousins told me they raise tuition like 30% each year. At many of the other non-UC schools they don't even have enough money to provide classes students need. I thought democrats are supposed to care about education. They do so much world class research there and the schools are well known. Doesn't that generate enough revenue? I just really don't understand California. 70% is just not enough for California's premed situation. There are tons of premeds and they are cutting spots for residents who are paying taxes. I'd be infuriated. I think UC schools are even more open to offering non-US residents spot as well if you are qualified. Although Texas is a republican state, they seem to care about their residents by offering 90% of their slots to instate residents. They offer cheap and affordable tuition. You can apply to all 8 TX schools for $145. What's so different about California that they can't do the same? I thought Republicans are more money hungry than Democrats. In this situation, it seems like the opposite.

Yeah man. It's because Obama's Kenyan. And welfare queens.

Glad to see they're learning you gud out there in Texas.

(No hate to others texans on here)

mcloaf, why don't you answer the questions I pose then? you seem to be all knowing. It doesn't seem like anyone here knows the real reason why California is so stingy with their med school spots. The clear answer seems to be that California needs money and they will do anything to get it including screwing over their residents.

No instate love for cali.. wouldn't even consider them remote chances, let alone back up schools. OOS here we go!

Sorry man, I'm coming from WA, limited sympathy for state schools here. We have 1 school for 5 states.

And, as mentioned before, the CA schools do have clear preference for residents. Whether it should be greater, I don't know. My point was less about that and more about the random interjections of political partisanship in your post.

Last edited:
I've only received interviews at 1 IS, but at every OOS school I visited, CA was the most represented state in terms of med students and interviewees.

UCSD and UCSF definitely give preference to California residents, according to the FAQs on their websites. Now granted, both schools are extremely tough to get into and still take a good amount of OOS students...but at least we get a little bit of help.

When I interviewed at UCSD this October they said this is the first application cycle in the school's history in which they aren't favoring IS applicants. That said, there was only one person in my interview group who wasn't from California.

When I interviewed at UCSD this October they said this is the first application cycle in the school's history in which they aren't favoring IS applicants. That said, there was only one person in my interview group who wasn't from California.

this is not good news, considering that it is one of my dream schools atm....

and it also doesnt help that UCSD's number averages seem to be around 3.8/35

granted, it is a top 15 school, so these kind of stats are to be expected