UC Postbaccalaureate Consortium 2020-2021 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi! so I'm planning to apply next cycle & was wondering if anyone who applied a second time would be able to provide some insight on the changes you made to your application? wishing you all the best & congrats to those who received acceptances!!

Members don't see this ad.

hi! so I'm planning to apply next cycle & was wondering if anyone who applied a second time would be able to provide some insight on the changes you made to your application? wishing you all the best & congrats to those who received acceptances!!

I applied to UCSD a second time this year and was accepted, but I didn't change anything in my application. I was interviewed last year and made the wait list, so ultimately I think it came down to my interview. I prepared better this year and got accepted, but my personal statement and everything else remained the same. I guess the only thing was that I had 1 more year of experience as a Scribe in the emergency department and I got a 508 on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone

I've spent the last 4 weeks in the hospital because of a seizure and my organs were basically shutting down. All I have to say is I'm very grateful that my interview happened before this event, and I am fully recovering. I'm also fortunate to be accepted into the UC Davis PB program. I was discharged and just want to share my tips/what I found helpful

Background
- Went to community college and transferred to a UC. Graduated in 2017 with a liberal arts degree and a 3.1 GPA. Also applied to UC PB program in 2017 , and never got any email/invite (basically, got ghosted since I didn't have any pre-med pre-reqs fulfilled and a mediocre application). Decided to fulfill my dream of medicine. I went back to my local community college to fulfill premed requirements (I completed ALL of the series of bio, chem, ochem, physics, and Calc I). I did prereqs at cc because I simply couldn't afford university. Important to mention that this was NOT brought up in interviews. Had my financial circumstances been different, I would had definitely took classes at university. Maybe this will have an effect after the program, who knows. And also, just because it worked for me, doesn't mean it will work for you!

ECs
- Volunteered at the hospital since 2017 - March 2020 (covid suspended volunteering program). I was first a front desk volunteer, then volunteered in pediatrics, volunteered with social workers, and shadowed a surgeon. I probably spent 8-12 hours a week in hospital getting clinical experience and working with patients. Also volunteered at science museum, created health club at cc, worked at restaurant. I feel like all this was manageable since I was taking 2 STEM classes per semester, except for one semester which involved Calc 1. Hours included anywhere between 200 hours, for each activity. I also won volunteer of the year scholarship for hospital, which was pretty cool.

Tips on application
1) Ask your letter of recommender if they are willing to write a strong letter that discusses your growth and what you did (Ask them exactly this. Be straight forward). If it's a Science professor, make sure they can vouch for you to talk about how you contributed to the classroom (ex: tutoring students, volunteering as a lab tech, and not just getting an A since every applicant has one). I did not allow my recommender to talk about my activities in the hospital because that was what my hospital volunteer manager was for. Also, it would take up extra space. And follow the LoR requirements ; STEM professor, employer, and volunteering manager. Don't make it complicated and do two volunteering supervisors, or a English Professor. Follow the guidelines. Also, give them a due date of December. Your LoR are people and have lives too, so delays can happen.
2) SUBMIT YOUR TRANSCRIPTS EARLY! I cannot stress this enough. This is by far what will delay your application, other than the LoRs. Since apps are rolling, plan accordingly and ahead. Transcript submission can take anywhere between 1-3 weeks, even longer. Also, the trend seems to be the earlier you submit, they earlier you hear a response (hence, rolling admission)
3) Not only write great essays, but make sure your PS and your goals align with the schools mission. If you don't have the same goals, you just wont be a strong candidate. Show them your passionate about serving the underserved by writing a great PS, and also volunteering in your underserved community.

General Application
- Applied: 3rd week of January to UCSD, UCI, UCSF, UCSD, UCR
- Verified/Completed: 3rd week of February
- Rejections : UCSD, UCI, UCSF (?). If you apply to UCSD, make sure your app is VERIFIED by first week of January. Any later for UCSD is basically a rejection since verification process can take up to two-three weeks, which is beyond the deadline. Also, they will take/accept your money even though your app isn't verified after deadline. No one to blame but myself for not reading guidelines/instructions carefully. UCI rejected me sometime late April. No word from UCSF, so fair to say I am rejected. No word from UCR as of this posting, but they usually respond in June and prefer students from Riverside or highlands (correct me if I'm wrong!)
- Interview invite: UCD 3rd week of March and 3rd week of April
- Accepted: First week of May

Thoughts
- I'm sure I'm mentioning alot of stuff out, but if you guys are in a position of re-applying, I strongly consider you look at your LoRs, PS, and types of EC you participated in. For me, when I look at my old app, I actually cringe bc I had no idea what I was doing. After immersing myself in the hospital and STEM, I found my passion. Volunteering in the hospital is a MUST in my opinion, and knowing how to build relationships with patients/getting clinical experience is CRUCIAL. I say this because if I can do it, you can definitely can too. Keep a positive mentality, trust the process, and surround yourself with people who want to see you win. PLEASE do not make this journey any harder on yourself and do it solo, it will not end well.

Here's an example of how my pre-med classes went
- First year of premed classes at CC
* Fall 2017 - Fail, Withdrawal
* Spring 2018 - B, B
* Summer 2018 - W, W
- 2nd year and 3rd year: basically A letter grades the rest of the year. First year was rough, I wasn't mentally prepared, had other obligations, and didn't take it serious enough. NEVER take a science class during the summer, unless you are 110% sure you can ace it and have no other obligations than to study. If you are working, forget it. The risk is not worth it. Strive for A's only. One to three B's are fine in my opinion.

And that's all I have to say.

Good luck to everyone. Dedicating 3 years of my life for an acceptance to the PB was worth every second. Formulate a plan, and never give up no matter how bad things get. If you really want it, you will find a way to win. Do not make excuses. No one wants to hear it.

The marathon continues!

TLDR: Never give up, trust the process, turn in your transcripts ASAP, turn your apps in early, make your dream team composing of those who want to see you win

Videos that helped me when I first started the pre-med journey (there are other really good videos from the pre-health conference)
- https://youtu.be/UCdqrtgBk54
- https://youtu.be/80_ktyATKEU
- https://youtu.be/pTxDYPJeCSI

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Hello everyone

I've spent the last 4 weeks in the hospital because of a seizure and my organs were basically shutting down. All have to say is I'm very grateful that my interview happened before this event, and I am fully recovering. I'm also fortunate to be accepted into the UC Davis PB program. I was discharged and just want to share my tips/what I found helpful

Background
- Went to community college and transferred to a UC. Graduated in 2017 with a liberal arts degree and a 3.1 GPA. Also applied to UC PB program in 2017 , and never got any email/invite (basically, got ghosted since I didn't have any pre-med pre-reqs fulfilled). Decided to fulfill my dream of medicine. I went back to my local community college to fulfill premed requirements (I completed ALL of the series of bio, chem, ochem, physics, and Calc I). I did prereqs at cc because I simply couldn't afford university. Important to mention that this was NOT brought up in interviews. Had my financial circumstances been different, I would had definitely took classes at university. Maybe this will have an effect after the program, who knows. And also, just because it worked for me, doesn't mean it will work for you!

ECs
- Volunteered at the hospital since 2017 - March 2020 (covid suspended volunteering program). I was first a front desk volunteer, then volunteered in pediatrics, volunteered with social workers, and shadowed a surgeon. I probably spent 8-12 hours a week in hospital getting clinical experience and working with patients. Also volunteered at science museum, created health club at cc, worked at restaurant. I feel like all this was manageable since I was taking 2 STEM classes per semester, except for one semester which involved Calc 1. Hours included anywhere between 200 hours, for each activity. I also won volunteer of the year scholarship for hospital, which was pretty cool.

Tips on application
1) Ask your letter of recommender if they are willing to write a strong letter that discusses your growth and what you did (Ask them exactly this. Be straight forward). If it's a Science professor, make sure they can vouch for you to talk about how you contributed to the classroom (ex: tutoring students, leadership skills, volunteering as a lab tech, not just getting an A since every applicant has one). I did not allow my recommender to talk about my activities in the hospital because that was what my hospital volunteer manager was for. Also, it would take up extra space. And follow the LoR requirements ; STEM professor, employer, and volunteering manager. Don't make it complicated and do two volunteering supervisors, or a English Professor. Follow the guidelines. Also, give them a due date of December. Your LoR are people and have lives too, so delays can happen.
2) SUBMIT YOUR TRANSCRIPTS EARLY! I cannot stress this enough. This is by far what will delay your application, other than the LoRs. Since apps are rolling, plan accordingly and ahead. Transcript submission can take anywhere between 1-3 weeks, even longer. Also, the trend seems to be the earlier you submit, they earlier you hear a response (hence, rolling admission)
3) Not only write great essays, but make sure your PS and your goals align with the schools mission. If you don't have the same goals, you just wont be a strong candidate. Show them your passinonate about serving the underserved by writing a great PS, and also volunteering in your underserved community.

General Application
- Applied: 3rd week of January to UCSD, UCI, UCSF, UCSD, UCR
- Verified/Completed: 3rd week of February
- Rejections : UCSD, UCI, UCSF (?). If you apply to UCSD, make sure your app is VERIFIED by first week of January. Any later for UCSD is basically a rejection since verification process can take up to two-three weeks, which is beyond the deadline. Also, they will take/accept your money even though your app isn't verified after deadline. No one to blame but myself for not reading guidelines/instructions carefully. UCI rejected me sometime late April. No word from UCSF, so fair to say I am rejected
- Interview invite: UCD 3rd week of March and 3rd week of April
- Accepted: First week of May

Thoughts
- I'm sure I'm mentioning alot of stuff out, but if you guys are in a position of re-applying, I strongly consider you look at your LoRs, PS, and types of EC you participated in. For me, when I look at my old app, I actually cringe bc I had no idea what I was doing. After immersing myself in the hospital and STEM, I found my passion. I say this because if I can do it, you can definitely can too. Keep a positive mentality, trust the process, and surround yourself with people who want to see you win. PLEASE do not make this journey any harder on yourself and do it solo, it will not end well.

Here's an example of how my pre-med classes went
- First year of premed classes at CC
* Fall 2017 - Fail, Withdrawal
* Spring 2018 - B, B
* Summer 2018 - W, W
- 2nd year and 3rd year: basically A letter grades the rest of the year. First year was rough, I wasn't mentally prepared, had other obligations, and didn't take it serious enough. NEVER take a science class during the summer, unless you are 110% sure you can ace it and have no other obligations than to study. If you are working, forget it. The risk is not worth it. Strive for A's only. One to three B's are fine in my opinion.

And that's all I have to say.

Good luck to everyone. Dedicating 3 years of my life for an acceptance to the PB was worth every second. Formulate a plan, and never give up no matter how bad things get. If you really want it, you will find a way to win. Do not make excuses. No one wants to hear it.

The marathon continues!

TLDR: Never give up, trust the process, turn in your transcripts ASAP, turn your apps in early, make your dream team composing of those who want to see you win

Videos that helped me when I first started the pre-med journey (there other really good videos from the pre-health conference)
- https://youtu.be/UCdqrtgBk54
- https://youtu.be/80_ktyATKEU
- https://youtu.be/pTxDYPJeCSI
I’m so glad that you are doing better. Congratulations with your acceptance and admire all your hard work! Thank you for sharing all of that advice

Reactions: 3 users
Long time lurker. First Time poster. First off, congratulations to everyone that has received interviews and acceptances thus far! I was fortunate enough to be accepted to the UC Davis Program back in early April, and I am beyond excited and humbled by the opportunity. I was wondering if anyone else who has committed to Davis has heard anything further about when/how our program is going to start. In my acceptance letter they explained (understandably) that we must practice patience while they figure out all this COVID madness, but I was wondering if anyone has heard any other updates. I know that we are going to be on working through Zoom for everything, but has anyone heard anything else?

Hope every one is staying safe!

Reactions: 1 users
Long time lurker. First Time poster. First off, congratulations to everyone that has received interviews and acceptances thus far! I was fortunate enough to be accepted to the UC Davis Program back in early April, and I am beyond excited and humbled by the opportunity. I was wondering if anyone else who has committed to Davis has heard anything further about when/how our program is going to start. In my acceptance letter they explained (understandably) that we must practice patience while they figure out all this COVID madness, but I was wondering if anyone has heard any other updates. I know that we are going to be on working through Zoom for everything, but has anyone heard anything else?

Hope every one is staying safe!

Check our Facebook group!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone got off the waitlist for any programs? I'm waitlisted for UCSF

Just got my denial from UCSF, anyone heard back from UCLA? Been calling them for min, would be nice if I can stay in Southern California

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Denied from UCSF as well. This leaves UCR the last remaining PB for me. Good luck everyone

Applied: UCSD, UCSF, UCI, UCD, UCR
Rejected: UCSD, UCSF, UCI
Accepted: UCD
Awaiting response/no reply: UCR

Note: Did not apply to UCLA CDU PB since I never applied to medical school/am not considered a “re-applicant”

Has anyone got off the waitlist for any programs? I'm waitlisted for UCSF

Yes! I got rejections from Irvine and SF. I was placed on the alternate list for UCD last Monday and got accepted on Friday that same week. I thought my chances off the waitlist were slim, but I got in! So if they haven’t finalized the cohort, you still have a chance bcus you are one of few that didn’t get rejected right of the bat.

I also got denied from UCSF yesterday as well. Still waiting back from UCD but I'm starting to lose hope :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to UCSD a second time this year and was accepted, but I didn't change anything in my application. I was interviewed last year and made the wait list, so ultimately I think it came down to my interview. I prepared better this year and got accepted, but my personal statement and everything else remained the same. I guess the only thing was that I had 1 more year of experience as a Scribe in the emergency department and I got a 508 on the MCAT.
Thank you! Wish you the best on your future :)

Are there any updates from UCLA? I'm still waiting to hear back for results since post-interview in April.
I'm still waiting too. Haven't gotten an acceptance or a denial.

Are there any updates from UCLA? I'm still waiting to hear back for results since post-interview in April.

Waiting. So disappointing. The program starts in June so I’m assuming it’s a denial

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Hi guys! I'm assuming no news about UCR yet? I don't see very many posts about UCR here, just wondering why. I sent my application in pretty late (during the extended period), and just recently uploaded temporary transcripts and mcat scores, as the school has yet to update any of my documentation. Does anyone know when they will begin interview invites? I worked really hard to improve this past year and it is the only school I applied to so I'm a nervous wreck (my living situation isn't going so well and I'm feeling pretty lost right now). I know the school is closed down, so I wonder how these programs are going to change and how the interview process will be? I tried to email for more info but haven't received a response and its been weeks...any info helps!

I agree, it's frustrating not hearing back at all, whether good or bad news.

That is pretty unprofessional of them for not notifying us yet. People need time to plan such transitions.

Hi guys! I'm assuming no news about UCR yet? I don't see very many posts about UCR here, just wondering why. I sent my application in pretty late (during the extended period), and just recently uploaded temporary transcripts and mcat scores, as the school has yet to update any of my documentation. Does anyone know when they will begin interview invites? I worked really hard to improve this past year and it is the only school I applied to so I'm a nervous wreck (my living situation isn't going so well and I'm feeling pretty lost right now). I know the school is closed down, so I wonder how these programs are going to change and how the interview process will be? I tried to email for more info but haven't received a response and its been weeks...any info helps!

Also applied to UCR during the extended period after my crap interviews with the consortium (rejected by all) so, also my only hope! Have yet to hear anything :(

I'm thinking about emailing the program coordinator from UCR to ask about progress/when we should be hearing back, but I have already sent so many emails asking questions about other parts of the application I feel she's probably tired of hearing from me! Anyone else hear anything yet? Its been another week of stress and anxiety and I'm losing it :)

I'm thinking about emailing the program coordinator from UCR to ask about progress/when we should be hearing back, but I have already sent so many emails asking questions about other parts of the application I feel she's probably tired of hearing from me! Anyone else hear anything yet? Its been another week of stress and anxiety and I'm losing it :)

Hi there! First time poster, but I’ve been following this thread!
I also sent emails back and forth with admin early last month regarding my documents when I first submitted but then never heard back. I saw everything was marked as complete though so I’ve been hesitant to seem like a bother too. UCR is my top school even though I’m based in NorCal, their mission is something I want to be a part of and I’ve always liked visiting the area when seeing family so I hope they see that and give me a chance! If I hear anything I’ll be sure to post! Good luck to you and others as well!

So a couple of days ago my documentation status got updated to complete, which is something that never even happened last year. Trying not to get too excited over nothing but at least it means they're making progress! (UCR).

So a couple of days ago my documentation status got updated to complete, which is something that never even happened last year. Trying not to get too excited over nothing but at least it means they're making progress! (UCR).
That is good to hear! They finally uploaded all of my letters of recs a few days ago, but mine still has not changed to complete. Crossing my fingers

Does anyone know when we will be notified about UCR interviews? I looked through past threads and the dates seem a bit different every year

Does anyone know when we will be notified about UCR interviews? I looked through past threads and the dates seem a bit different every year
I emailed them last week and they haven't responded. I tried calling and they don't answer.

I emailed them last week and they haven't responded. I tried calling and they don't answer.
I was going to email today to ask the same, they aren't super responsive, but this my third time applying and they never really are...

Update: I got a response within an hour... not really much info lol but here it is:
Thank you for contacting the UCR Premedical Postbaccalaureate Program. The interview timeline is adjusted compared to the previous cycle you applied. Please expect update on your application status to be delivered by email and this will be ongoing for the rest of June.

Last edited:
Update: I got a response within an hour... not really much info lol but here it is:
Thank you for contacting the UCR Premedical Postbaccalaureate Program. The interview timeline is adjusted compared to the previous cycle you applied. Please expect update on your application status to be delivered by email and this will be ongoing for the rest of June.
Thanks for trying!

Hi guys!
UCR invited me yesterday to interview this coming week. She contacted through email and said it would be through zoom at one of two assigned dates and I haven’t stopped sweating since

Hi guys!
UCR invited me yesterday to interview this coming week. She contacted through email and said it would be through zoom at one of two assigned dates and I haven’t stopped sweating since

Congratulations, I hope your interview goes well! Do you mind sharing what dates they’re holding interviews?

Congratulations, I hope your interview goes well! Do you mind sharing what dates they’re holding interviews?
Sure! The email said it would be either this Thursday the 25th or next Wednesday the 1st. Hope this helps!

Hey guys! I also just received an email from UCR for an interview. I am still shaking! Lol. My interview is this Thursday :)

Hey guys! I also just received an email from UCR for an interview. I am still shaking! Lol. My interview is this Thursday :)
Mine too, I was confirmed today, congrats! I’ve been worrying though, as I don’t have a quiet space to take the interview and there aren’t many places I can go with WiFi... I hope they don’t mind my background location as a car or any sort, and I wonder why it will be 2 hours long? My heart is thumping:nailbiting:

Mine too, I was confirmed today, congrats! I’ve been worrying though, as I don’t have a quiet space to take the interview and there aren’t many places I can go with WiFi... I hope they don’t mind my background location as a car or any sort, and I wonder why it will be 2 hours long? My heart is thumping:nailbiting:
Congrats you two! And good luck! How are you guys preparing? I wonder how many people they sent interviews to, if they'll have more than one interview round, and how many people they'll accept!

Congrats you two! And good luck! How are you guys preparing? I wonder how many people they sent interviews to, if they'll have more than one interview round, and how many people they'll accept!
Thank you! I am going to look over the common interview questions (Why Medicine? Strengths and Weaknesses? etc.). I think they might still be sending interviews out because they are having another round of interviews next week. In the past, they usually accept between 8 and 12 people into the program.

Thank you! I am going to look over the common interview questions (Why Medicine? Strengths and Weaknesses? etc.). I think they might still be sending interviews out because they are having another round of interviews next week. In the past, they usually accept between 8 and 12 people into the program.
Are you talking about the interview on Weds the 1st or are there additional dates?

Let us know how it goes! You got this!

Hi guys! Finished my interview and currently post stress eating lol. I think my nervousness showed a few times but am hoping they thought I was ok, congrats to everyone who interviewed today!!

Reactions: 2 users
Are you talking about the interview on Weds the 1st or are there additional dates?

Let us know how it goes! You got this!
Thank you! and yes, I'm referring to the one on the 1st. The interview was long but it went well overall!

Reactions: 2 users
Random question/rant for you guys: how do you explain this post bac process/program to friends or family (mostly parents) ? Mine do not believe the program will help and is a waste of time and money. The thing is, I live practically rent free and am saving money but am at my wits end with my parents and am having a hard time right now. Sorry for the rant, but I guess what I’m trying to get at is who here also has people discouraging them from applying? I interviewed yesterday with UCR and am hoping they take me, but don’t know how else to explain why I know this is meant for me. I’m far past approval, just wondering if anyone else has run into similar issues and what they did.Thanks!

Random question/rant for you guys: how do you explain this post bac process/program to friends or family (mostly parents) ? Mine do not believe the program will help and is a waste of time and money. The thing is, I live practically rent free and am saving money but am at my wits end with my parents and am having a hard time right now. Sorry for the rant, but I guess what I’m trying to get at is who here also has people discouraging them from applying? I interviewed yesterday with UCR and am hoping they take me, but don’t know how else to explain why I know this is meant for me. I’m far past approval, just wondering if anyone else has run into similar issues and what they did.Thanks!
Initially, my parents discouraged me from applying because they thought it would be a waste of time and money and thought that I was better off applying to med school after I finished undergrad. It wasn't until I had a mental breakdown while attempting to study for the MCAT until they realized that I knew what was truly best for me. I explained to them that this program would not only help me boost my GPA but help me prepare for the MCAT by offering courses to help study and tackle questions. They also help you prepare for interviews, and the committee can write a letter of recommendation for you, which is additional help you would have not received if you did not join the program. I think about it like this, each year, medical school applicants spend thousands of dollars applying to medical schools, and only 40% end up matriculating. However, by joining a post-bacc program, your chances of matriculating your first time applying into med school skyrocket to 85% (percentages vary by program). A post bacc program is definitely an investment, but it may save you money compared to applying each year to medical school with a possibility of not being accepted. I would try to explain this to your parents and see if it helps. It helped to get through to mine, and only you know what is best for you. :)

Initially, my parents discouraged me from applying because they thought it would be a waste of time and money and thought that I was better off applying to med school after I finished undergrad. It wasn't until I had a mental breakdown while attempting to study for the MCAT until they realized that I knew what was truly best for me. I explained to them that this program would not only help me boost my GPA but help me prepare for the MCAT by offering courses to help study and tackle questions. They also help you prepare for interviews, and the committee can write a letter of recommendation for you, which is additional help you would have not received if you did not join the program. I think about it like this, each year, medical school applicants spend thousands of dollars applying to medical schools, and only 40% end up matriculating. However, by joining a post-bacc program, your chances of matriculating your first time applying into med school skyrocket to 85% (percentages vary by program). A post bacc program is definitely an investment, but it may save you money compared to applying each year to medical school with a possibility of not being accepted. I would try to explain this to your parents and see if it helps. It helped to get through to mine, and only you know what is best for you. :)
Wow thanks for sharing! It seems like a post bac could only benefit a student so I’m definitely sticking through to see what happens...I feel you on the mental breakdown though, if anything having no resources after graduation made my anxiety shoot through the roof, and I’ve been to the hospital myself for that (doing much better now thank goodness). I attempted MCAT twice by self studying with Kaplan books and only got as high as a 499-501 range so I’m hoping to get help for that too:)

Thank you! and yes, I'm referring to the one on the 1st. The interview was long but it went well overall!
Congrats on interviewing! I have been lurking fora bit and finally wanted to reach out because I am a bit nervous since I know the timeline is weird this year and things are delayed... I wanted to ask, if you're comfortable with sharing, whether your interview was one-on-one or like a rotation type where you interviews with more than one person? I do not know if they are still sending out interviews, but I am hoping to hear from UCR soon!

Congrats on interviewing! I have been lurking fora bit and finally wanted to reach out because I am a bit nervous since I know the timeline is weird this year and things are delayed... I wanted to ask, if you're comfortable with sharing, whether your interview was one-on-one or like a rotation type where you interviews with more than one person? I do not know if they are still sending out interviews, but I am hoping to hear from UCR soon!
Thank you :) I am going to message you, but the program doesn't begin until late September so it might be a possibility they are still interviewing.

Hopefully we hear back soon I’m getting nervous!! Did anyone interview the second date? How did it go? Praying for everyone:xf:

Hi everyone, I have gotten acceptances from both UC Davis and Charles Drew Postbacc, and was having a hard time deciding. I was hoping to receive any input if you guys know anything about Charles Drew. Thank you!

Hey guys, I recently completed the 2019-2020 UCR Post Bacc Program...

I posted this in the "UC Postbaccalaureate Consortium 2019-2020 Cycle" forum, but thought I'll post it here to so y'all can see.

Here are some questions someone else asked me about the program and my responses. I hope this helps.

1. Does the program share opportunities in the area for extra-curricular work? Or is that something you could do on your own if you choose?
1. The program does share you some opportunities for volunteering in the area, also has programs like health coaching, and mini medical school ( which is a club where you can go to local schools and teach different topics on health to kids there). You can also do it on your own if you choose. Doing extracurricular work is not mandatory. There will be some events that are highly suggested you attend, especially if you are invited as part of the post baccalaureate cohort.

2. Is this a program where you can work, or is there no time for that? Do they discourage it? I don't think I will work if I get accepted to a post-bac, but I am asking because I want to know the time commitment on a daily and weekly basis! I'm sure it's busy, but one of the post-bacs that I applied to said they had students who did work, so I was wondering if that is common there or unusual.

2. If you have good time balance between taking classes and working, I suppose you can do that, but you still have to maintain a 3.5 GPA every quarter. It is not recommended that you work while doing the postbacc though. Every quarter, you will be required to take about 12 units and meet the requirements of ( 7 upper division science classes and 2 non science classes total the whole academic year) .... you can take more science classes if you like and if you can handle..... TLDR. It is a full course load. 12 units per quarter minimum. You probably will not have time to work if you are taking these classes and also participating in extracurricular activities. The main priority for you during the program is to get good grades... Also, no one in my cohort worked. Some did volunteer work, but that was the extent of it.

3. Do you have any interview tips?
3. My main interview tips is to practice. So, google some common interview questions, make a google doc, answer them thoughtfully( either bullet point the topics you want to cover in answering that question or type out exactly what you are going to say, share the doc with some of your family and friends who are open to helping you practice. So, they ask the question, and you answer to them, basically a mock interview. Also, in any interview, you will most likely be asked " Tell me about yourself" Make sure you know how to answer that in regards to the position or program in mind.

4. What was the interview format?
4. For me and some of the people in the program, they had one on one interviews with the program director, and she asked some questions personalized from your application.

5. Do you know how many people they interviewed last year, and how many people were accepted (class size)?
5. I do not know how many people they interviewed last year, but my cohort size was 13 people. When I asked the program director during my interview, she said that cohort sizes are usually 9-13 people. So the post bacc cohort is comprised of about half med school applicants who were given conditional acceptance into the SOM ( students who applied to SOM) given they complete the post bacc well and the other half of the cohort is traditional post bacc ( students who applied directly for the program).

6. How hands on is the staff/program? Do you find that the program is attentive towards their students?
6. The program is not really hands on, if you do not ask for help or initiate. If you need to talk to the director, you can email her, and she will always set up a meeting for you so that you can discuss whats on your mind and what your questions are. So, it can be hands on if you want it to be. Other than that, your responsibility is to get good grades. So if you are struggling, you can email her and ask her on advice on how to manage your stress and do better.

7. What aspect of the program do you think has helped you most?
7. I think just having the opportunity to take more classes in an official program that is affiliated with the medical school is my favorite part. It has helped me raise my GPA and shows admissions officers that I am persistent and shows an upward trend in my GPA. Also, after the class portion of the program ( 3 quarters of classes) there is an MCAT prep portion as well as having someone to help me with my medical school application.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone, I have gotten acceptances from both UC Davis and Charles Drew Postbacc, and was having a hard time deciding. I was hoping to receive any input if you guys know anything about Charles Drew. Thank you!
I don't know much, but I do know Charles Drew is a lot more expensive, so that's something to consider!

Wow congrats on getting in!! I know Davis is tailored to disadvantaged students, have you thought about that?