UC schools and non-residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not a resident of California, yet I am interested in applying to UCLA and UC San Francisco. Would it be worth it to spend the money to apply to these schools, or do I have virtually no chance since I am a non-resident?

Members don't see this ad.

Sure you have a chance, however big that chance is really dependent on other factors, i.e your MCAT scores, GPA, and ECs and LORs. In my opinion you need to have a mid to hi 30s in the MCAT, >3.7 GPA, exceptional ECs and LORs in order to be competitive for admission to UCLA and UCSF as a non-resident applicant.

UCLA and SF are the UCs to go for if you're out of state. I think they take roughly 40% out of state whereas SD takes 5%. Irvine and Davis take virtually 0.

Hi,
Recently I talked to two Med2's from UCLA. Both were from out of state. One had a GPA of 3.96 undergrad and 33 MCAT. He said his school wasn't tough, though. The other was 3.8 w/35 MCAT. I don't know any of their EC's or anything else, but they did it. If you've got pretty good stats and ECs and of course the total package, you should go for it.