UCD or UCSB (honors)?

ambiguoussea

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a very difficult time deciding which school to go to. For UCD, I'm accepted in the NPB major while in UCSB I'm accepted in Pre-Bio (physiology). I've visited both campuses and like both of them equally. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Which one is cheaper? Less debt is always a beautiful thing.

Nice to meet you, by the way. :)

Comparison:

Santa Barbara (Slightly cheaper):
$12,508 in-state
$35,386 out-of-state
Classes with fewer than 20 students: 45.0%
US News Ranking: 42 (Decent)
Student to faculty ratio: 17:1 (Decent)

Davis (Slightly more expensive):
$12,794 in-state
$35,672 out-of-state
Classes with fewer than 20 students: 36.1%
US News Ranking: 38 (Better)
Student to faculty ratio: 15:1 (Better)

Honestly I would go with Davis. A little more recognition there. Especially for Biology. Both of my parents are Biology professors and say the Davis program is really good. Only thing is at Santa Barbara you get smaller classes for less tuition (biggest bang for your buck). Another thing to keep in mind is that at UC - Davis Biology is one of the top five majors (for good reason). Personally I would pick UCD. But it's up to you. Also where would you rather live? Santa Barbara or Davis? I've been to Davis and liked it. Never been to SB.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since we're taking about a difference of only hundreds per year, you can throw that argument out. Student to faculty ratio is another thing you don't need to consider since your pre-req classes are going to be 100+ person lectures.

If I were the OP, I'd consider fit first and foremost. Which school do you enjoy being at the most? And here's the kicker for me: UCSB is on the beach, UC Davis is near Sacramento so it's urban.

I'm having a very difficult time deciding which school to go to. For UCD, I'm accepted in the NPB major while in UCSB I'm accepted in Pre-Bio (physiology). I've visited both campuses and like both of them equally. Any suggestions?

I went to Davis undergrad and loved it. Majored in biological sciences with an emphasis in medical microbiology. PM me if you have any questions, I'd love to help recruit another aggie ;)

@ Cephal0pod
hello!

@nysegop
I live closer to Davis (from norcal). Does prestige matter for med./pharm. schools?

for everyone:
So I visited Cal Day today, and I realized that I really like the campus. Problem is I'm very scared of the curve/competition and difficulty of getting research opp. Does anyone have any experience?

Last edited: