UCD post-interview??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arachnia

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewd at UCD mid Oct and haven't heard a thing. Granted, they did say that it'd be a month or more before they make a decision..but the waiting is hideous. Has anyone heard from them post-interview? Do they send acceptances/ rejections/ holds by snail-mail or email? It's the only interview I've gotten anywhere, so I'm not feeling too great ..support? advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there at the end of September and haven't gotten a decision yet. The office recently told me that they were a little behind and they hoped to get back to me by the end of this month.

I know they send rejections by email, and I assume they would call or email with an acceptance, so I'm sure we'll hear as soon as they decide. I'm frustrated by the wait too, but I hope it pays off in the end.

I am in the same boat. I interviewed 9/30 and was told I should know by 11/1 but called in and was told to wait another 2-3 weeks. Very frustrating.

Members don't see this ad :)
i must have interviewed with you guys on 9/30...the wait has become difficult!

My wife just had the twins...I really enjoyed davis...you?

kahoo99 said:

CONGRATS! That's exciting! Have you got names? Genders?
And thanks to all of you who've responded, I feel better knowing I'm not the only one being gnawed alive by waiting. I'm joined SDN forums pretty recently and am glad I did. The whole process is a lot less lonely..
:) Arachnia

kahoo99 said:
Congratulations! That must be crazy. Hope everyone's doing well and getting at least some sleep. I absolutely loved Davis. It was the best interview day I've been to, and the school seemed like the best fit for me of the six I've visited (although for personal reasons I would have a difficult decision if I got in to both Davis and Irvine). Anyway, good luck to you, and I hope we all get some good news soon.

Hi interviewees,

I'm glad you've all enjoyed your interview day :) I fell in love with UCD and the program after a really pleasant interview day, and don't regret coming here one bit. Please keep in mind the UCs are notoriously slow, and yeah, purgatory sucks, but it's difficult to get instant gratification from them. They usually call with acceptances and send snail mail later. Holds are notified through e-mail. Hang in there! If it's been a while since you've interviewed (3+ months), you can send an update letter. I'm not on the adcom, but that's what I did, and it apparently worked.

Anecdotes I heard from my classmates include waiting a really long time, some waiting and then placed on the waitlist, and eventually accepted. Others were accepted within a few months of their interview and were able to attend 2nd look (I was accepted off the hold list, wasn't able to do that).

Good luck!

I agree with the previous poster about long waits. It was the same for my class 2 years ago.

From what I've heard lots of files are still under committee review. There is still tons of interviewing going on. The first batch of acceptances went out a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if any more have gone out. A friend of mine was told to call her interviewee with the acceptance in that 1st batch, so I'd look for a phone call from your student interviewer and/or packet in the mail. Good luck, UCD is a great place :)

I interviewed in mid oct... and now waiting for a response.... I have so far interviewed at 5 schools... and no word from any. Before, i use to wait each day for an acceptance call or mail, and each day i don't recieve one, my heart drops a lil. It was just getting too depressing... so i have decided to stop waiting... go out and have fun... if i get something it will be a pleasant surprise... if not, at least i am having fun hehehe

Things may not happen the way you want it to... but things always work out somehow :)

For me it took about three weeks. I was complete around 9/2 and got the e-mail invite on 9/20. However, I don't think this is typical.

Members don't see this ad :)
Davis is notoriously slow. I got placed on hold 2.5 months after I interviewd, waitlisted, 5 months after that, and then got in off the waitlist. So I had to wait much longer than most people, but boy was the wait worth it.

I would consider sending in letters of intent if UCD is truly your top choice. I was placed on the waitlist and told that I was on the bottom half with very little chance of making it in. I wrote two letters of intent to Dean Bera anyway and eventually got in. I have heard others who wrote LOI and got good results from them. It really doesn't hurt. An update letter would be excellent also. I love UCD so far and my classmates are great. I hope that you all get in and continue the tradition of excellent UCD students.

Arachnia said:
CONGRATS! That's exciting! Have you got names? Genders?
And thanks to all of you who've responded, I feel better knowing I'm not the only one being gnawed alive by waiting. I'm joined SDN forums pretty recently and am glad I did. The whole process is a lot less lonely..
:) Arachnia
Kai and Phoenix...identical boys...they're starting to sleep 3 or 4 hours at a time in the night so we're sleeping more than we were when they got up every hour and a half to eat! I'm assuming or maybe hoping that we (9/30 interviewees) are going to hear this week. I really want this!

I'm dreaming about hearing from Davis pretty much every other night! But, from what I've learned so far, no new is good news: I'm more than happy to wait if that means they give everyone a fair shake in committee (and let me in ;)) For those of you 9/30 kids, let us know when you hear!

Arachnia said:
I'm dreaming about hearing from Davis pretty much every other night! But, from what I've learned so far, no new is good news: I'm more than happy to wait if that means they give everyone a fair shake in committee (and let me in ;)) For those of you 9/30 kids, let us know when you hear!

Good luck! Hope you hear good news soon.

hey thanks! it's good to know at least one Aggie is rooting for me! :D

Got a question... I dunno when i will hear from davis.. but i have interviews dec 8 and 9.. before i was kindda hoping to hear from davis (and two other schools the first week of dec) so that i won't have to go to philly... now its a lil less then two weeks before i have to go to philly and i think should probably book my ticket before the price of the ticket skyrockets...should i book my tickets to go or should i take a risk and wait...?? any advise or suggestions?

I still haven't heard from them after my interview on 9/30, and I just spent $700 on tickets to two other interviews coming up. I would probably buy the tickets if I were you.

puppies324 said:
Got a question... I dunno when i will hear from davis.. but i have interviews dec 8 and 9.. before i was kindda hoping to hear from davis (and two other schools the first week of dec) so that i won't have to go to philly... now its a lil less then two weeks before i have to go to philly and i think should probably book my ticket before the price of the ticket skyrockets...should i book my tickets to go or should i take a risk and wait...?? any advise or suggestions?

I finally heard back this morning:
Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee and has been held for further consideration. A final decision on your application will be made after all applicants being considered for admission have been reviewed.

At that time you will be informed whether you have been accepted to the class, placed on the waiting list or not accepted.
How depressing! Out of six interviews, I've gotten three waitlists and three deferred decisions. Anyway, perhaps wildcatbio06 and kahoo99 will hear today too. I hope you all have better luck!

Nevermind, I just checked my email. Got the same thing as you jrdnbenjamin. I am also in the same situation. Nothing but waitlists for me. Two notifications from two UC's and two waitlists. This process sucks.

don't worry guys... its still realli early in the process.. there are still tons of people going on their first interview... you guys will definitely recieve good news... juss be patient and have faith... the process has its ups and downs... when you guys get in.. it will mean so much more having gone thru all this crap...

wildcatbio06 said:
Nevermind, I just checked my email. Got the same thing as you jrdnbenjamin. I am also in the same situation. Nothing but waitlists for me. Two notifications from two UC's and two waitlists. This process sucks.
Sorry man. It's discouraging, but at least we're not rejected.

All you current Davis students lurking: do you have any idea what this means for us? Is this a slow boat to the waitlist, or do people actually get accepted off post-interview holds?

wildcatbio06 said:
Just to let you know, form what I have heard (from a UC Davis ADCOM member), a good portion (>50%) of matriculated students at UC Davis come off of the waitlist, so dont worry...I just interviewed there yesterday and was told that the class should be full by Feb/March, and then they will start the ranked waitlist...just be patient if you seriously want to go to UCDSOM.

I too got the much dreaded 'hold' email this morning. YARRRRGGGG!!! But then again, it's better than begin unceremoniously rejected - we're still in the running...

i got a call at arond 3;30 today from my interviewer... she gave me good news. Buts its bitter sweet since i also know that there are many of you who haven't heard the happy news. Keep up the hope and I will hopefully have the honor of having you all as my classmates. (I interviewed oct17th so they are catchin up)

jrdnbenjamin said:
Sorry man. It's discouraging, but at least we're not rejected.

All you current Davis students lurking: do you have any idea what this means for us? Is this a slow boat to the waitlist, or do people actually get accepted off post-interview holds?

This is how the whole system works:

Post-interview, you either get accepted, placed on hold, or rejected.

THe on hold individuals are re-reviewed sometime around June. A group of those on hold people will get accepted outright, a group will get placed on the waitlist, and the rest will be rejected.

If you check last year's UCD hold thread (do a search for it), you will find that some people will get off the hold list (including nairay and me last year). I had to wait 8 months to finally know i was in after interviewing in November, placed on hold in January, waitlisted in June, and got in in July. So it might be a long wait and I say write those LOI's. It really can't hurt you unless you write one every week and annoy the crap out of the admissions office. Good luck everyone. If Davis is your top choice, I hope you get in!

puppies324 said:
i got a call at arond 3;30 today from my interviewer... she gave me good news. Buts its bitter sweet since i also know that there are many of you who haven't heard the happy news. Keep up the hope and I will hopefully have the honor of having you all as my classmates. (I interviewed oct17th so they are catchin up)

Don't feel sad on my account. Have your moment and enjoy it, you know how hard you've worked to get it.

Congrats puppies324!

The way it worked for me was that I was complete in early October, didn't hear from them for months, sent in an update, finally interviewed in March, sent in another update, placed on hold in April, got in in May. A surprising number of people from my interview group (5-6 people I believe) got in as well.

Don't give up hope! Just remember they're slow because they actually do take the time to read through your entire file and all those secondary essays! At a college event the other day I met someone who told me he remembered my file based on 1-2 things I told him about myself.