UCDavis???????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lobster M.D.

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone familiar with the UCDavis timeline after an interview, i interviewed there earlier this month and we werent told a thing about when the adcoms meet or when we should expect to hear from the school, any help would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

lobster M.D. said:
anyone familiar with the UCDavis timeline after an interview, i interviewed there earlier this month and we werent told a thing about when the adcoms meet or when we should expect to hear from the school, any help would be appreciated

4-6 weeks after your interview.
possible outcomes=accept/hold/reject, although apparently holds are being discouraged.
we were told that the class will be filled around february. people reviewed after feb will be placed on the ranked waitlist.

edit: we were told that the adcom is meeting more frequently now than they were at the start of the season. this could explain the supposedly quicker turnaround times...

lobster M.D. said:
It will be a long time. I interviewed on 9/30, and we didn't hear until late November.

Members don't see this ad :)
argonana said:
possible outcomes=accept/hold/reject, although apparently holds are being discouraged.
I haven't heard about anyone NOT being put on hold so far...(although n=3)

edit: There were six of us that interviewed on 9/30, and I think three were held, but one was accepted according to mdapps. Don't know about the other two. However, there are 20 people on mdapps who have interviewed, and only two of those were accepted. I haven't looked yet to see the other dispositions.

4-6 weeks seems pretty standard, but it can be a bit longer if you interview shortly before the holidays. I interviewed at the end of October, and didn't hear until early January.

jrdnbenjamin said:
I haven't heard about anyone NOT being put on hold so far...(although n=3)

edit: There were six of us that interviewed on 9/30, and I think three were held, but one was accepted according to mdapps. Don't know about the other two. However, there are 20 people on mdapps who have interviewed, and only two of those were accepted. I haven't looked yet to see the other dispositions.

yeah, the dean made it sound like a lot of people were still getting placed on hold...i guess there's only so much he can do about it...

So, what kind of stats get you an interview with UCD? As of now, I HATE THEM. I so incredibly want to go there, but they are not even rejecting me. Sent the stupid secondary a long time ago. Why are they not responding?

Now watch, I'll go home today and there will be a very thin envelop from UCD. Open it and it says, we regret to inform you that.... It always happens when I start complaining. Can this process make you paranoid? :scared:

shoosh said:
So, what kind of stats get you an interview with UCD?

im a cali resident, 3.4 undergrad gpa at UCSD in phys/neuro, 3.9 grad gpa for MS in biology at UCSD, 36 mcat, with typical hospital volunteer, TA experience, and OR shadowing, i really liked UCDavis, since it is my first choice, should i write a letter of intent before a decision is made or afterwards, not sure if one way or the other is more beneficial, what do you all think ?????

-lobster

shoosh said:
So, what kind of stats get you an interview with UCD? As of now, I HATE THEM. I so incredibly want to go there, but they are not even rejecting me. Sent the stupid secondary a long time ago. Why are they not responding?

Now watch, I'll go home today and there will be a very thin envelop from UCD. Open it and it says, we regret to inform you that.... It always happens when I start complaining. Can this process make you paranoid? :scared:

I know the waiting game can be very frustrating....You can send an update letter if you feel like it.

From what I've heard (which isn't much), your complete app goes through at least 2-3 committees and they go over the application pretty in-depth (you would hope so, right, seeing how much time and effort it took to answer that monster of a secondary!), plus the dean takes a look if there is no clear-cut decision from the committee. I was complete in October and sent in an update in January, and was pretty much ready to receive a rejection letter when I got an interview invitation in March. I still went even though it was very, very late in the season, and ended up loving it. I was placed on hold around mid-April and got off of it a couple weeks later after other acceptees got off other waitlists.

It turns out a lot of people in my interview group ended up getting accepted (i think 5 of us, and out of 93 students, that's quite a bit), and one other person who interviewed on the last possible day got in as well. So don't let a late interview date scare you (at least in Davis' case).

After the interview, if you really liked it, i'd send in another update/intent letter. It worked for me!

Last year I interviewed early October and was accepted just a few days after Thanksgiving...Nov. 30th I think. It sounds like a large number of students in my class interviewed late and got in off the waitlist so don't despair if you haven't heard yet.

I am so happy at Davis. The people couldn't be better. Good luck to you guys! :luck:

What comes in the mail once you are accepted? I recieved an email that I was accepted from my interviewer almost two weeks ago (and I interviewed in early November for those wondering the timeline). I called the office only a day or two later and they got my address to send it to my address I am at during the holiday break and they send they would send it right out. Its been over a week and has not arrived even though it only needs to go two hours distance. I am not sure if it is just really slow because of holiday mail or if it wasn't sent right away (or at all). The office's machine says that they are out of the office until the 3rd and I will be back at school (where my mail is) just then.

This is my first acceptance so I don't know what comes. In the MSAR it says I have two weeks to respond. Is this a hard deadline? I want to accept it!

Congrats on the acceptance!
I would definitely call before the second week...and if they are not in, then call Jan. 2nd...

When did you interview/get the phone call?

Members don't see this ad :)
doublepeak said:
What comes in the mail once you are accepted? I recieved an email that I was accepted from my interviewer almost two weeks ago (and I interviewed in early November for those wondering the timeline). I called the office only a day or two later and they got my address to send it to my address I am at during the holiday break and they send they would send it right out. Its been over a week and has not arrived even though it only needs to go two hours distance. I am not sure if it is just really slow because of holiday mail or if it wasn't sent right away (or at all). The office's machine says that they are out of the office until the 3rd and I will be back at school (where my mail is) just then.

This is my first acceptance so I don't know what comes. In the MSAR it says I have two weeks to respond. Is this a hard deadline? I want to accept it!

You'll be fine. UCD is basically shut down for the holidays right now (we start back on the 2nd), and they're not going to fault you for not abiding by the 'two weeks' thing. Especially not when they tend to be a bit on the disorganized side. ;) Definitely go ahead and call them on the 3rd when they said they'll be open. I'm sure everything will be fine. . .it's not your fault they hit you with the acceptance right in the middle of the holiday season.

Anyway, congrats! I know it won't be possible to relax about it until the letter is in your hand (for the record, they send you a letter and some forms to fill out; medical forms and a residency form, I believe. Don't be like me and wait to send those in. . .I forgot about 'em till July!!), but do try. It'll all work out I'm sure.

evade said:
You'll be fine. UCD is basically shut down for the holidays right now (we start back on the 2nd), and they're not going to fault you for not abiding by the 'two weeks' thing. Especially not when they tend to be a bit on the disorganized side. ;) Definitely go ahead and call them on the 3rd when they said they'll be open. I'm sure everything will be fine. . .it's not your fault they hit you with the acceptance right in the middle of the holiday season.

Anyway, congrats! I know it won't be possible to relax about it until the letter is in your hand (for the record, they send you a letter and some forms to fill out; medical forms and a residency form, I believe. Don't be like me and wait to send those in. . .I forgot about 'em till July!!), but do try. It'll all work out I'm sure.
Thanks for the info. I left Terri Hall an email and will call if she doesn't respond that day. I just feel weird about it because I cancelled my interview at Irvine on Jan 4th because I know I'd rather go to Davis, but I haven't recieved the stuff from Davis in writing yet. I know I'm just being paranoid, especially because the person on the phone recognized my last name (knew where it was mailing out of state off-hand), so I just have to be patient. I am so excited about getting in there (and I never thought I would hear so soon) - maybe I'm so paranoid because it caught me off-gaurd.

Elastase said:
When did you interview/get the phone call?
I said in my post - Interview early nov., email from interviewer mid dec.

evade said:
4-6 weeks seems pretty standard, but it can be a bit longer if you interview shortly before the holidays. I interviewed at the end of October, and didn't hear until early January.

I agree with this post. I interviewed 11/1 didnt hear back till 1/04 so nov/Dec seems to be a slow time, granted that was 2003.

But, the reason Im responding is to ask evade what is up w/ the avatar. You seem to be UCD/UCD SOM but that pic looks very much like DC metro. What gives?

dynx said:
I agree with this post. I interviewed 11/1 didnt hear back till 1/04 so nov/Dec seems to be a slow time, granted that was 2003.

But, the reason Im responding is to ask evade what is up w/ the avatar. You seem to be UCD/UCD SOM but that pic looks very much like DC metro. What gives?

It is indeed the DC Metro. I took two years off between undergrad and med school, and spent some of that time there. :) While I'm very happy to be in CA, I sometimes do miss the place, thus the avatar.

Hi Friends!

Congratulations Doublepeak! I LOVED Davis too. Hopefully we'll be there together next year :D

My friend who interviewed 1.5 weeks before me got his decision right before they closed for the holidays, so I expect that my decision will be coming in any day now (I interviewed mid-Nov).

Anyhow, It seems that I have created a little situation for myself: I am hoping hoping hoping I find out by this week, because if not (or if I get the big R), I am flying to dreadfully chilly Boston on Friday for another interview. I have my plane tickets and I bought snow boots, all the while hoping I won't need them at the last minute!

I imagine the admissions office is going to be swamped this week, but what do you think my chances are of finding out, if I call on Jan. 2-3 (not sure when they are actually open)? It would save me time, money, and my friends are all going boarding this weekend too :p And I really want Davis!!!

JSK44 said:
I imagine the admissions office is going to be swamped this week, but what do you think my chances are of finding out, if I call on Jan. 2-3 (not sure when they are actually open)? It would save me time, money, and my friends are all going boarding this weekend too :p And I really want Davis!!!
There is no hurt in trying I guess or at least they may tell you when they are sending out their next batch. I do know that the admissions office opens on the 3rd (that is what their message machine says and the auto-reply to the email). Good Luck!

doublepeak said:
There is no hurt in trying I guess or at least they may tell you when they are sending out their next batch. I do know that the admissions office opens on the 3rd (that is what their message machine says and the auto-reply to the email). Good Luck!

Doublepeak, can you tell me if you interviewed prior to 11/10 or after? I'm interested because that was the day I interviewed and I have no fingernails left to bite off (kidding). UCD was my #1 far and away. Congrats!!!

I'm interested if before or after november 10th also...let us know doublekpeak!

Elastase said:
I'm interested if before or after november 10th also...let us know doublekpeak!
It was just before. I think it was the 6th or the 7th. It was the first monday in November. I was totally surprised that they told me so quickly. Good luck and I hope you hear soon!

doublepeak said:
It was just before. I think it was the 6th or the 7th. It was the first monday in November. I was totally surprised that they told me so quickly. Good luck and I hope you hear soon!

Okay, so now I have an answer - albeit not the one I hoped for. I'm on hold with the comment that I probably won't know anything more specific until June. That means UCD is no longer an option for us. Disappointing but that's life, eh?

The answer was received today via email from Terri.

pmak67 said:
Okay, so now I have an answer - albeit not the one I hoped for. I'm on hold with the comment that I probably won't know anything more specific until June. That means UCD is no longer an option for us. Disappointing but that's life, eh?
Sorry for the bad news! I know a lot of students there said that they got in off the waitlist.

Haha, they just gave me a secondary a few weeks ago. I interviewed there last year as well in late april :eek: and was promptly rejected a few weeks later. It was such a late interview nothing short of the nobel prize would have gotten me in methinks :laugh:

Awww! Pmak! I'm so sorry. But you really do never know what will happen! Keep up the hope! :oops: I interviewed a week after you guys, so I guess I won't be finding out till next week (or the next). Now I'm scared!! :eek:

Update: I called the admissions office and they said a few committees met last night, and they had already called all the respective applicants with the decisions from that meeting. Mine wasn't in there, darn! Guess I'm flying out tomorrow!

pmak67 said:

The answer was received today via email from Terri.

I got in last year after being placed on hold. Being on hold DOES NOT mean you are out of the running. From what I can tell, quite a few of my classmates got in after being placed on hold. Hold is just a category where they placed candidates that are still in the running. In June, they will accept more people off the hold and then generate a waitlist or reject the rest of those on hold. And people are pulled from the waitlist up until the day of classes. I was placed on hold, waitlisted, and got in late July of last year. There is still hope! Write letter of intents if UCD is your top choice. I wrote two last year, one after I was placed on hold and one after I was waitlisted. So definitely show them it is your top choice. Good luck!

JSK44 said:
Awww! Pmak! I'm so sorry. But you really do never know what will happen! Keep up the hope! :oops: I interviewed a week after you guys, so I guess I won't be finding out till next week (or the next). Now I'm scared!! :eek:

Update: I called the admissions office and they said a few committees met last night, and they had already called all the respective applicants with the decisions from that meeting. Mine wasn't in there, darn! Guess I'm flying out tomorrow!

Thanks JSK44!!! I've received so many words of encouragement after what was such a surprisingly disappointing "hold" that I'm back in faith!!! I guess I've learned just how important attending UCD is to me.

ONWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone out there heard anything new from UC Davis?

pmak67 said:
Has anyone out there heard anything new from UC Davis?

I know, right? Everytime I check my email my heart skips a beat. When will the torture end! :oops:

JSK44 said:
I know, right? Everytime I check my email my heart skips a beat. When will the torture end! :oops:

JSK44, I think you're in. I can feel it.

And if it's like getting in a lifeboat, throw me a line, eh?! Pleeeeezzzz???

pmak67 said:
JSK44, I think you're in. I can feel it.

And if it's like getting in a lifeboat, throw me a line, eh?! Pleeeeezzzz???

Omg Pmak, you're like the nicest person in the world. If I could, I would throw a body out and pull you in. At least bodies float, right? :rolleyes:

JSK44 said:
Omg Pmak, you're like the nicest person in the world. If I could, I would throw a body out and pull you in. At least bodies float, right? :rolleyes:

Yes, for a while at least. :laugh: Yuck, I can't even think about that tho.

Let me know (pm me if better) when you hear back. :D

hey all--any new news from uc davis post-interview? i'm hitting the 6 week mark on monday, and apparently "a decision hasn't been made yet" on my file...sounds kinda bad...i'd like some definitive news.

Argonna, how do you know a decision hasn't been made yet?

DoctorC said:
Argonna, how do you know a decision hasn't been made yet?

hey DoctorC--i broke down and called today. :oops: terri was mumbling on the phone...mumbling is never a good sign. i think i have a W/L headed my way. i wasn't really stressed about davis until i called today...oh well.

anyway, good luck to you. :luck: i think you'll hear good news from davis soon.

edit: i realize now that you were probably wondering whether i had received some kind of official notification from the school with this info. i did not.

I am at the 9 week mark since my interview. I called on Thursday, and no decision had been made yet. :( :( :(

Hey Monday is my 6 week mark as well.... :) I guess we interviewed together...for those of you that got in was it a call, email, letter? and how long did it take...

I just called regarding an extra letter of rec I sent, and was told my application was under review right now. I received and finished a secondary from them in November.
They are still looking through applications, so everyone, hang out and be patient. At least you've had an interview there.
Best of luck :)

112 said:
Hey Monday is my 6 week mark as well.... :) I guess we interviewed together...for those of you that got in was it a call, email, letter? and how long did it take...
My faculty interviewer emailed me. Then my student interviewer called me after the holidays (I heard from my faculty interviewer just before I went home from school for the holidays) and she said she had been out of the country. I think both your interviewers are supposed to call or email you. I also recieved a packet in the mail (preferred address) shortly after I heard from my faculty interviewer.

It took around six weeks for me. The admissions office was completely shut down over the holiday break (see my prior posts in this thread to see my issue) - therefore don't expect anything yet if you are including those times.

doublepeak said:
It took around six weeks for me. The admissions office was completely shut down over the holiday break (see my prior posts in this thread to see my issue) - therefore don't expect anything yet if you are including those times.

Good point, doublepeak. I forgot to factor in the holidays.
112, sounds like we may still have to wait awhile...good luck.

argonana said:
i'm in! no email, no phone call, nothing--just a packet in the mail! the letter is dated 1/23...exactly 6 weeks after my interview.
Congrats!!!

Damn... I haven't heard a peep yet? Hopefully tomorrow will bring some good news.

Edit-- When was it post-marked?

Ok, I've been a huge fan of this thread but I've never posted, so here goes...

I interviewed at Davis on 1/19 and it is by far my top choice now. I am still going on interviews and am holding on to 2 acceptances (MCW and Temple) but I was wondering about this......

I reaaalllly want to go to Davis and if I get in, I am dropping the other 2 acceptances but I am really nervous about how my interview went. My student interview went REALLY well (I freakin' nailed it and he told me so) but my faculty interview with Dr. Bera, the asst. dean of admissions that you meet in the morning, was a little hard to read. He was nice and everything but seemed really removed, like he was trying not to send me any signals negative or positive. I left the student interview feeling like I had a good shot and then after my interview with Dr. Bera, I just felt really unsure during the first hour of my long 7 hour drive home.

Did anyone else interview, feel this way, and then get in? I'm dying here! I am seriously going to be sooooo bummed if I don't get in!

bumpity bump bump