UCDavis???????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DolfinGrl11 said:
My student interview went REALLY well (I freakin' nailed it and he told me so) but my faculty interview with Dr. Bera, the asst. dean of admissions that you meet in the morning, was a little hard to read. He was nice and everything but seemed really removed, like he was trying not to send me any signals negative or positive. I left the student interview feeling like I had a good shot and then after my interview with Dr. Bera, I just felt really unsure during the first hour of my long 7 hour drive home.

Did anyone else interview, feel this way, and then get in? I'm dying here! I am seriously going to be sooooo bummed if I don't get in!

I think it depends. I definitely left Davis feeling convinced that I wouldn't get in. My faculty interview was tough (it felt like an oral exam) and even a bit antagonistic...it was basically a stress interview, I guess, except that it didn't even end well.

Did you notice that Davis has a standard list of questions to be asked of interviewees? Those questions are not all easy (at least they weren't for me), and the fact that the interviewer has to get through all of them certainly doesn't help to make things more personal. There's also the time crunch factor--the interview day at Sac/Davis is hectic, and my faculty interviewer basically kicked me out because I had to get myself to Davis (from Sac) for my next interview. I was taken aback by this, but I realized once I got in the car that I was very short on time...I booked it over to Davis, and I was still a couple mins late for the student interview.

Anyway...that was my take on the interview experience...I don't know how people can say it's laid back. So I wouldn't worry if your experiences are not at all similar to what others have shared. It's really impossible to predict the outcome with these things, but for now, don't stress at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Anymore updates?

Yo!
At least you guys have interviews-
I'm in interview limbo with them. I spoke to a woman at the office today, and she was really cool- it wan't Terry or Frances-
In any case, the word is 1) they are interviewing through the end of March, and adding Fridays to their interview days because, 2) "we are so behind."

She said things have been really, really slow in their processes - stressing the slow.
She also said we should start hearing within the next 2 weeks or so.

I wouldn't worry too much. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Uegis said:
I got in last year after being placed on hold. Being on hold DOES NOT mean you are out of the running. From what I can tell, quite a few of my classmates got in after being placed on hold. Hold is just a category where they placed candidates that are still in the running. In June, they will accept more people off the hold and then generate a waitlist or reject the rest of those on hold. And people are pulled from the waitlist up until the day of classes. I was placed on hold, waitlisted, and got in late July of last year. There is still hope! Write letter of intents if UCD is your top choice. I wrote two last year, one after I was placed on hold and one after I was waitlisted. So definitely show them it is your top choice. Good luck!

Do you send your letter to terri? dr. bera?

kahoo99 said:

Anyone get place on hold in here pre-interview? Know what your chances are if you are. I'm sure its not great at this time of the year, but would love to know if anyone has any insights.

kahoo99 said:

I sent my first update letter to Ed Dagang (didn't know who else to sent them to at the time, this was pre-interview) and then post-interview I addressed it to Dr. Bera. Either way it gets into your file.

Good luck!

Hey guys...anybody out there who interviewed in Dec get answers? when did you interview and when did they answer, and how?

I went on Dec. 12 and its Feb.2 :( im beginning to get impatient...

112 said:
Hey guys...anybody out there who interviewed in Dec get answers? when did you interview and when did they answer, and how?

I know how you are feeling. It has just hit the eight week mark and I am starting to not care anymore. I really like Davis but at this point I am extremely worn out with waking up everyday, checking StudentDoctor, checking e-mail, coming back home and checking snail-mail, and then checking StudentDoctor again. PLEASE JUST TELL US!!!!

DoctorC said:
I know how you are feeling. It has just hit the eight week mark and I am starting to not care anymore. I really like Davis but at this point I am extremely worn out with waking up everyday, checking StudentDoctor, checking e-mail, coming back home and checking snail-mail, and then checking StudentDoctor again. PLEASE JUST TELL US!!!!

I feel like I have OCD because of these same reasons!!!! :scared:
I can't wait till next week!

mamd2be said:
I feel like I have OCD because of these same reasons!!!! :scared:
I can't wait till next week!

What is happening next week?

112 said:

I did (early Dec.) and I got an acceptance letter followed by an email the week last week in Jan. Good luck everone!

DoctorC said:
What is happening next week?

adcom meets at or around the 15th... couple of days later, people start getting letters... posting on SDN... some will cry... hope its not me :scared:

when I interviewed, I was told that by Feb., the class will be filled...

mamd2be said:
adcom meets at or around the 15th... couple of days later, people start getting letters... posting on SDN... some will cry... hope its not me :scared:

when I interviewed, I was told that by Feb., the class will be filled...

Does this mean before February or by the end of February?

Members don't see this ad :)
Who knows?
Honestly, I was given some words of encouragement the last time I called, and I've been through this with Davis last year-
the class is not filled completely, and they are interviewing through early April. That's the word. They are behind. Really behind, to the point where they are adding an extra interview day per week. This is per admissions office today. Thank you. I spoke with someone there, and my a friend of the family's is on the adcom, so I sometimes get an idea of what's going on (does it help me? No, honestly- they rejected me last year, so there's no nepotism going on, thanks).

The truth is that we can speculate all we want, but we're not on the adcom; therefore, we must practice patience and hope that all things happen for the best.

Trust me, I'm just as OCD as you are- every time my phone rings I feel like, dammit, it's just one of my friends.

I hate this part of it. As Tom Petty says, "the waiting is the hardest part."
But it is good to commiserate.
So keep the faith alive, and take a deep breath, and know that you'll hear something soon. :thumbup:

I'm still kinda peeved with UCD.. It's not the rejection so much as the fact that I sent them $60 and wrote them NINE (9!) essays, and they send me an email rejection addressed to "Dear Applicant"

they can't even waste the $0.39 to send me a letter, or even include my name in the email! what jerks! :thumbdown:

can I return the email and say "I'm sorry, this must have come to me by mistake, my name isn't 'Applicant'"??

hi guys,

i recently called uc davis to check on my status post-secondary

the lady told me that my app. is in the "second screening stage" to see if i'll be invited for an interview

is this correct?...there are 2 post-secondary screenings prior to inviting for an interview?

if so, what are my chances? any insight?

thx

xxbruinxx said:
hi guys,

i recently called uc davis to check on my status post-secondary

the lady told me that my app. is in the "second screening stage" to see if i'll be invited for an interview

is this correct?...there are 2 post-secondary screenings prior to inviting for an interview?

if so, what are my chances? any insight?

thx

i'm not involved with admissions, but from what I heard from a classmate, your app can get screened 2-3 times, very thoroughly, before they decide to invite you for an interview or not.

i was complete in October and was expecting a rejection email since I hadn't heard from them, until I was invited for an interview in (late) March. So don't feel that all is lost if you haven't gotten an interview yet! 5-6 people in my class interviewed on the same day as me. We didn't even have student interviews because everyone was on spring break.

I know it's nerve wracking, but hang in there.

news??? anyone???? :confused: :scared:

LuisitoMD said:
news??? anyone???? :confused: :scared:

Nope. I am going to call tomorrow if I don't hear anything in the early afternoon.

Hi everyone!
I got the phone call this morning that I am in!!! Just be patient everyone because I interviewed back on 11/7 and they barely got back to me today! Good Luck everyone! I'm so excited that I get to stay in CA!! :) :) :)

rosiemary said:
Hi everyone!
I got the phone call this morning that I am in!!! Just be patient everyone because I interviewed back on 11/7 and they barely got back to me today! Good Luck everyone! I'm so excited that I get to stay in CA!! :) :) :)

Congrats rosiemary!

I interviewed that same day but heard back over a month ago, that is a very long range of dates to hear back post-interview! Congrats again! I was really impressed by the medical center, and the new buildings. Too bad I didn't meet very many UCD students on my day there. I wonder if I talked to you during the interview day...

Anyone know if there is a second-look weekend?

rosiemary said:
Hi everyone!

Yay Rosemary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so proud of you!!!!!!

You deserve it!!!!!!!!!

:love:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
:love:

Elastase said:
I interviewed that same day but heard back over a month ago, that is a very long range of dates to hear back post-interview!
Wow...I interviewed Nov 7th too. I got accepted in mid-December...so even a broader range.

Elastase said:
Congrats rosiemary!

I interviewed that same day but heard back over a month ago, that is a very long range of dates to hear back post-interview! Congrats again! I was really impressed by the medical center, and the new buildings. Too bad I didn't meet very many UCD students on my day there. I wonder if I talked to you during the interview day...

Anyone know if there is a second-look weekend?

Yup, there is a 2nd look weekend. I didn't get to go last year becasue I was accepted in July, but I think its sometime around April or early May. You definitely need to go and check some of the student-run clinics out. It's amazing and I'm loving my experiences there so far. Faculty here is good on the most part (some okay, some horrible) but the exams are really fair and what is expected of you is reasonable.

The new med building will be open by the time your class starts, which should be awesome. The building is state of the art and really student-focused design. Congrats on getting in and hope to see some of you come September!

Thanks Uegis! I remember you going through the process last year and then getting into UCD.

I am definitely going to check out the student run clinics, probably Clinica Tepati (I know some 1/2years in LMSA that I have met recently that have told me to join them some time). I plan to contact them as soon as I get my FAFSA done. Good looking out, thanks for answering my question!

Hey ...so here is my particular UCD nailbiter: I interviewed mid Oct, was put on the dreaded HOLD in early Dec. I send a letter to Dr. Bera, and a few weeks later, I was emailed a 'request for more information.' I was in India at the time up to my eyeballs in family drama (wedding, funeral), and returned in Jan to give the best approximation of what had been requested. I also sent an update letter...
When I chatted with Terri in Jan, she said "you'll be re-reviewed by the end of the month", and now it's past mid-Feb and i have chewed/ eaten at least four whole pencils (mmm,fiber....) as I wait wait wait and wait some more. What do I make of this? Should I call? I don't want to harass, but I wish they'd tell me SOMETHING!!! Ideas, folks? :confused:

My next door neighbor used to be on the UC Davis Subcommitee (when he was a third and fourth year, now he is in his final year of Residency). He told me that UC Davis adcomm always runs way behind schedule. He also told me to be patient and not bug them too much because they DO remember that (I dont know exactly what that meant). BUT I can definetely relate to your situation! I would wait as long as I could (buy another pack of pencils) before I called again. From what I understand being on 'HOLD' is not so bad....UC Davis doesnt actually start forming a waitlist till VERY late in the school year. Well I know this doesnt help much, but BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!

so i have sent in a letter of intent, maybe that will help me off the hold list, technically i am missing an english and math requirement for UCD, i dont want to take these courses at a community college sacrificing hours that i could be working all so that in july i just end up being rejected, i am thinking about emailing terri and asking if a 5 on AP could be considered for the math requirement and if a linguistics course could be considered for the english one, i refuse to take two course for what could be absolutley no point in the end, so yea... thinking out loud

so, I'm driving home today and I call ahead of time to have my dad check the mail... he doesnt speak/read English very well... he tells me I have a letter from Davis or UCLA... :eek: I kept asking, which one... told him its two different schools.... :scared: ahhhhh... took for ever to get home.... but no, it wasnt from davis... it was a rejection (pre-interview) from ucla..... the rejection didn't bother me :rolleyes: ... it was the fact that davis is still up in the air... +pity+

bumpity bumpity bump bump bump

Damn I'd love to go to Davis. I work with one of the clinical professors in OB/GYN. He said if I get an interview he'd make phone calls on my behalf. He's like Mr. Mackey from South Park, "mmmkay? Mmmkay..." Such a cool dude. :cool:

anyone???? any news in Feb?????

People who have heard something recently- When did you interview?

lobster M.D. said:
so i have sent in a letter of intent, maybe that will help me off the hold list, technically i am missing an english and math requirement for UCD, i dont want to take these courses at a community college sacrificing hours that i could be working all so that in july i just end up being rejected, i am thinking about emailing terri and asking if a 5 on AP could be considered for the math requirement and if a linguistics course could be considered for the english one, i refuse to take two course for what could be absolutley no point in the end, so yea... thinking out loud

Hey Lobster,

Did you have any luck with the pre-req thing? I'm in exactly the same boat. I need the cash right now and don't want to take another English class. I can take a short term one that starts in March and meets all day Sat (BLECH!). Don't want to of course.

i have been lazy and have yet to talk to terri about the pre-reqs, granted i plan to do this this week, i want to go to davis, but will not take those classes with the possibility of a rejection in july, i will not let any administration (even harvard or any top ten) force me into a position where they could waste my time for 3 months, i will post what i find out from terri here when i get any news back, hopefully in a week or so

Damn you Davis, you dream crusher :thumbdown:

Does anyone know the details of what Davis is changing in their curriculm? I heard somewhere that there are some changes in the works, but I don't have a clue what they are.

And are they pass/fall? (I know, I'm a bad person for not having the MSAR)

argonana said:
just wondering...

does davis only offer 93 (undeclined) acceptances? why don't they overaccept like most other schools?

It's changing from an organ-based to a systems-based curriculum for this Fall. I dont know exactly what this means but my friend who is a current student thinks that it will be much better.

At my interview a few weeks ago they said that they would interview a total of 400 people and eventually admit 200 to fill the class of about 93. As of a few weeks ago they had interviewed just over 300 and admitted around 85.

I hope that helps. Has anyone heard from them lately? I hear that they are really far behind and that it could take over 2 months to hear back after the interview :( I want in!

here's the lowdown i got on the "new curriculum" from dean bera:

(disclaimer: he stated himself that he's not a "curriculum guy"...so the actual details of the curriculum were not addressed, which was fine with me)

the most significant change will be the shift in the academic schedule.

Year 1= August '06-??
Year 2= July '07-March '08
Year 3= May '08-??
Year 4= ??

So as you can see, I didn't catch all the dates, but the biggest thing emphasized was that Year 3 will start in May. The downside to this is obviously that we would have school in the summertime. However, the advantage is that we would be starting rotations while experienced residents were still around. New residents would come in several months after we'd started rotations, and the expectation is that we would be able to help them learn the ropes...and do a bit more ourselves.

Also, this schedule apparently gives students enough time to study for the boards...but I don't know if it's more or less than with the old setup.

argonana said:
So as you can see, I didn't catch all the dates, but the biggest thing emphasized was that Year 3 will start in May. The downside to this is obviously that we would have school in the summertime. However, the advantage is that we would be starting rotations while experienced residents were still around. New residents would come in several months after we'd started rotations, and the expectation is that we would be able to help them learn the ropes...and do a bit more ourselves.

Also, this schedule apparently gives students enough time to study for the boards...but I don't know if it's more or less than with the old setup.
I thought also that starting the clinical years slightly earlier would allow students to take an elective or at least try out the specialties they are most interested in (have one more entire rotation) before it comes time to submit applications for residency. He was talking about that many students change their specialty choice in these years and/or want to get more experience in their specialty they are applying for, so this change would give people extra time for that.

Residencies start in July in the US so I don't see the logic regarding what he told you with experienced residents.

doublepeak, good point about having more time to try out specialties. i forgot about that.

re: the residents--if residencies start in july, it makes sense, right? the newest residents would be 10 months into their terms by the time 3rd years started rotations. am i missing something? :oops:

argonana said:
re: the residents--if residencies start in july, it makes sense, right? the newest residents would be 10 months into their terms by the time 3rd years started rotations. am i missing something? :oops:
You are right. I must have spaced when writing/thinking about that.

Ok, so I have stopped crying long enough to write this post.....I interviewed at Davis on 1/19 and today I received the dreaded "PUT ON HOLD" e-mail. It didn't say any kind of timeline, only that I was being held until all other applicants are reviewed. What the heck?! Does this mean I even have a shot still? I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket come May 15th and then not get in, but Davis is my first choice and I reaallly want to go there! I want to write a letter of intent to hopefully improve my situation. Who do you address this letter to? I know I'm going to write a lot of nice things but what general things do you make sure to mention and how long should it be? I am so depressed......Davis my last and only shot at staying in California and making it easier financially and location wise for my bf and I to get married....I am going to go back to my box of kleenex now... :(

So I interviewed on 1/19 and today received the god-awful "your application has been held for further review" e-mail. I am so crying right now between types....this is my last chance to stay in Cali and Davis is my first choice! Does anyone have any idea as to when you hear back from them after you have been "held" like this? Does it always lead to the waitlist? I am going to write a LOI.....I know what I want to say overall but what things should I be sure to hit on? And is there a good length that seems to be most appropriate? I am sooooooo sad.....I thought I did so well in the interview and apparently, it wasn't good enough :(

Arachnia said:
Hey ...so here is my particular UCD nailbiter: I interviewed mid Oct, was put on the dreaded HOLD in early Dec. I send a letter to Dr. Bera, and a few weeks later, I was emailed a 'request for more information.' I was in India at the time up to my eyeballs in family drama (wedding, funeral), and returned in Jan to give the best approximation of what had been requested. I also sent an update letter...
When I chatted with Terri in Jan, she said "you'll be re-reviewed by the end of the month", and now it's past mid-Feb and i have chewed/ eaten at least four whole pencils (mmm,fiber....) as I wait wait wait and wait some more. What do I make of this? Should I call? I don't want to harass, but I wish they'd tell me SOMETHING!!! Ideas, folks? :confused:

I thought being placed on hold means that they won't review your application and make a decision on it until the end of the interview season? Is it possible to be accepted/rejected/waitlisted from the hold list before June? It really sucks to make plans to go one place all the while with one foot out the door waiting to hear from another school.

beffers8888 said:
At my interview a few weeks ago they said that they would interview a total of 400 people and eventually admit 200 to fill the class of about 93. As of a few weeks ago they had interviewed just over 300 and admitted around 85.

The UCD hold system is worthless. Why can't they just make up their mind like other schools? It seems like a great strategy underaccepting for your class and then having to accept 50+ people off the hold list in June. With only 100 interviews left, they'd have to accept the entire lot to even come close to filling the class.

hey everyone, i thought i would instill some hope into this thread, i will briefly recount my story with davis, i am a cali resident, interviewed 12/15/05, was placed on hold mid january, well i wrote a letter of intent 2 weeks ago, then today received a phone call from Ed and was granted a spot in the upcoming class, so for all you hopeless on holders, looks like you dont necessarily have to wait till july, i was on hold and then accepted about a month and a half later (granted i wrote a very detailed letter or intent saying why i belonged there), so hope springs eternal!!!! and to others, i still am technically missing two class requirments, i am going to call tomorrow and see if my acceptance is conditional or if i dont have to take those classes, anyone here for sure going to davis???? either USC or davis for me and i am leaning heavily towards davis, soo excited, i am sending my good luck vibes to you all

lobster M.D. said:
hey everyone, i thought i would instill some hope into this thread, i will briefly recount my story with davis, i am a cali resident, interviewed 12/15/05, was placed on hold mid january, well i wrote a letter of intent 2 weeks ago, then today received a phone call from Ed and was granted a spot in the upcoming class, so for all you hopeless on holders, looks like you dont necessarily have to wait till july, i was on hold and then accepted about a month and a half later (granted i wrote a very detailed letter or intent saying why i belonged there), so hope springs eternal!!!! and to others, i still am technically missing two class requirments, i am going to call tomorrow and see if my acceptance is conditional or if i dont have to take those classes, anyone here for sure going to davis???? either USC or davis for me and i am leaning heavily towards davis, soo excited, i am sending my good luck vibes to you all

Lobster, congrats!!!!!!!! I was put on hold the first week in January. You're posting was a welcome relief from all of those like mine who are asking "why, why, why, and when". The process seems very funny (ie, quirky, not humorous).

Anyway, congrats. You deserve it!!!!