UCDavis???????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
discus said:
Uh...guys...that IS the waitlist, I think.
That's what I meant. I wonder if they just sent out waitlists and no more acceptances to all of us "leftovers" that they hadn't gotten around to yet, including myself. And besides, it's not a waitlist but rather a "list of alternates". Doesn't that sound so much more special? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

there seems to be a top half and bottom half of the alternate list. if you call, i think they'll tell you which part you're in. i had called on a status check before i'd seen the email and they told me what part of the waitlist i was on.

gluck everyone!

forREAL said:
there seems to be a top half and bottom half of the alternate list. if you call, i think they'll tell you which part you're in. i had called on a status check before i'd seen the email and they told me what part of the waitlist i was on.

gluck everyone!

So I was searching MD applicants.. some guy posted this:

8/3/05: My last words of wisdom before the start of med school. Lots of ups and downs during this process (for me, mostly down), but I'm very happy with the way things turned out. I just want to say for all those who end up waitlisted - don't ever give up hope until you have actually physically matriculated at a school. If you want to go to a school badly enough, be very persistent and very patient. I was shocked at how much waitlist movement there was in the last 2 weeks of July. Keep hope alive until the very last possible moment. Even if you call a school and they tell you that your chances are slim to none, keep hope alive. For instance, I was told by Davis that I had very little chance of getting off the waitlist because I was ranked in the bottom half of the waitlist. 5 days after I get into Irvine (and 4 days after I had already emailed my withdrawal to Davis), guess who calls? UC Davis. Apparently you can get in from the bottom half if you wait long enough (they hadn't checked their email before they called me). Luckily, I had already decided many months prior that Irvine was my top choice, so no harm done.

Keeping the hope alive!!

My question is this: Because Davis starts so early this year, will the waitlist move like it has in the past? Meaning, there could be a lot of people that don't have an acceptance at other schools yet but would in say, August (and won't be able to go to it because Davis school has started already)?

Members don't see this ad :)
bUmP

is anyone lurking that is on the alternate at UC Davis but still waiting for their top choice to accept them?

so have people found out what half of the waitlist they're on?

xxbruinxx said:
so have people found out what half of the waitlist they're on?

well, I guess I'll go first...

I'm in the upper half. Hope it means something! I NEED this school!!!

I called Terri today and she said that my chances are good.. (being in the upper half). I'm still wondering how that waitlist is moving. I suppose acceptances won't go out until the end of june (after the 2 week time period is up for us to send our intent to remain on the alternate list)

i called as well...told bottom half

it's bottoms up for me as well...bottom half that is.

xxbruinxx said:
i called as well...told bottom half

Bottom half club... :(

Bottom half, shat

I just called Lanina.. she's Terri's assistant I guess. Anyways, this alternate list is driving me nuts. Here's what I confirmed through her..

1). There are approximately 100 people on the waitlist.
2). They normally "fill their class twice"; right now they have 93 spots open and about 180 offers out. (So they are almost done)
3). The movement varies from day to day, some days they'll get a few withdrawals, some days none.
4). The alternate list is pretty much set in stone now; the Committee is done reviewing our files and anything we send in won't change anything for our position on the alternate list.
5). They are currently accepting people off the waitlist as spots become available. In other words, they aren't waiting for a certian date to do this.
6). It's hard to predict the movement because school starts a lot sooner than last year.

Good luck everyone! Please post here if you hear anything else, especially if you get an acceptance. It just seems like nobody ever posts much about UCD. It's like none of the UCD accepted pool even knows about SDN! Weird!

firebird69guy said:
I just called Lanina.. she's Terri's assistant I guess. Anyways, this alternate list is driving me nuts. Here's what I confirmed through her..

1). There are approximately 100 people on the waitlist.
2). They normally "fill their class twice"; right now they have 93 spots open and about 180 offers out. (So they are almost done)
3). The movement varies from day to day, some days they'll get a few withdrawals, some days none.
4). The alternate list is pretty much set in stone now; the Committee is done reviewing our files and anything we send in won't change anything for our position on the alternate list.
5). They are currently accepting people off the waitlist as spots become available. In other words, they aren't waiting for a certian date to do this.
6). It's hard to predict the movement because school starts a lot sooner than last year.

Good luck everyone! Please post here if you hear anything else, especially if you get an acceptance. It just seems like nobody ever posts much about UCD. It's like none of the UCD accepted pool even knows about SDN! Weird!
I also called UC Davis this afternoon. I'm on the top half of the alternate list :) I was told a lot of what you were told but I didnt actually ask how many acceptances had been given out so far. 180 is a lot more than I was hoping. Let's hope that a bunch more spots open up!

alright guys. here's the loop. this is the first time i've posted anything on this site but i've been following the forum for awhile so i guess i owe it to you all. this is how it went for me:

completed secondary long long ago.. can't even remember when (september maybe?).

interviewed in the middle of january. i was never placed on the hold list and was never contacted for a very long time (even though they said i would hear something within the next week when i called every week). in fact, one time i was told that i was among a small group that would probably get accepted soon but they just didn't have enough acceptances to give out. (this of course was long ago and just provided me with false hope)

i sent one update of activities i've done since the process began and i think a friend of mine who attends the school may have sent an email on my behalf. i did this maybe the beginning of this month.

i recieved the same email about replying if i wanted to continue to be considered for the school (which i replied to very quickly along with a pseudo message of intent). this by the way was the first response i had recieved since my interview (5 months?.. that's a bit more than the 6-8 weeks i was told). by the way.. i called at this time and i think they said they had 7 slots open that they were still trying to fill.

i recieved the same email about being in the alternate list (which i responded to very quickly again... again with another message of intent). i called again and found out those 7 slots were filled (that was depressing news).

i called on mon or tues of this week to find out which half of the list i was on after seeing on the forum that they would give out this info. i was in the top half.

i got a call this afternoon from Ed that my application status had changed (it was a restricted number and didn't show up on my cell). i called back and found out i was accepted (yay me). now i'm in and have to scramble to fill out financial aid forms especially since i'm going out of the country tomorrow. if anyone has questions who are in a similar situation.. post them and if i see them by tonight i'll try to respond.

alas, there is hope. people are still getting accepted. believe me, i was just like you all who really did believe there was pretty much no hope left. i guess the "hang in there" saying still goes.

thank thank you for that last post!! i pretty much have gone thru the same process and am in the top half and waiting. i just sent an email to terri asking for an update on my status, and have been racking my brain for a way to move the fates my way. omg, i just realized i missed a 'no number' around 12 today... would they leave a message?
haha, i can't tell if this hope is helpful or detrimental, but thanks for sharing regardless. congrats!

CONGRATS PESCADO!!!

Alas... I am almost giving up hope. I hope something happens soon.

Is anyone accepted at Davis, but still undecided on Davis?

has anyone heard of the pace of the waitlist movement? this is killing me!

I called and met Terri. It was depressing. There is some waitlist movement already. Congrats to those of you who already got off the list. I'm about to lose hope...she says since I'm on the low waitlist, there is not much chance to get off of it and to better starting reapplying. I'm hanging by a spider's web here.

I got in last Thursday.. and I will be attending. Don't let that get you down though.. If I were you, I'd just keep calling... keep sending in letters and make sure you tell them that UCD is your #1 choice. The waitlist is definitely moving!! Just keep your head up. Last year, people were accepted off the bottom half of the waitlist!!

Good luck!! Let us know what happens!

So, check this out...

I got the rejection email in May, but my friend called our school's pre-med advisor and he told her that Davis informed him I was accepted as well (when she asked who else got in?).

Huh.

I'm not calling- I'm on the nursing/tour around the world/coaching a state professional team track, but I thought that was weird. Maybe I got put in the wrong pile? Or maybe our pre-med advisor messed up?

So I called this week and spoke to Lanina who said that writing an update letter would not make a difference at this point to get notice. Should I still write one anyway even if it doesn't make a difference? They're on #29 on the waitlist (out of 100), and not yet past the high list.

Looks like they've accepted a lot on the waitlist already...movement is at a trickle they said.

Here's hoping...