UCF vs. USF vs. U of Kentucky

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amerimed123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I would really enjoy to hear some thoughts on how you would compare these schools that I have been accepted to. I will list a few pros and cons and hope y'all have some to contribute.

UCF (Central Florida)

Pros:
  • Great community of people including students, faculty and staff.
  • School seems to be very committed to supporting its students.
  • High step scores and good match lists
  • In-State
Cons:
  • Maybe that it's new but it hasn't seemed to really matter
  • Could be harder to access research

USF (South Florida)

Pros:
  • Well-Established school
  • Good hospital affiliations
  • Seems like there is a lot of research opportunities available
  • Good home residency programs in almost every field
  • In-State

Cons:
  • Facilities are older
  • Have to drive downtown once a week for a lab

University of Kentucky

Pros:
  • Well-Established school thats been around for a long time and well-known
  • Really nice community of people
  • Major hospitals within walking distance
  • Research is plentiful
  • Good home residency programs in almost every field

Cons:
  • Out of state and tuition

Summary: I understand that cost is a factor but it's not a determining factor. I want to focus on which school will best prepare me for a more competitive residency position. Thank you all in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I think eliminating Kentucky is fairly easy... their OOS tuition would be $64k per year (about DOUBLE what you'd be paying IS at USF & UCF) and if you care about ranking or "prestige" (which idk if Kentucky has that..) I think $120k is enough to stop caring.

As far as UCF and USF... it seems most people would say USF is the winner. Better clinical sites, more established, and a primary teaching hospital.
UCF has the bells and whistles (technology and new building). USF will have those things in 2-3yrs. How much you'll benefit from that is up for debate. But go with your gut between the two. Either one can get you in a competitive speciality and neither one will hold you back from anything.

Reactions: 1 user
I think eliminating Kentucky is fairly easy... their OOS tuition would be $64k per year (about DOUBLE what you'd be paying IS at USF & UCF) and if you care about ranking or "prestige" (which idk if Kentucky has that..) I think $120k is enough to stop caring.

As far as UCF and USF... it seems most people would say USF is the winner. Better clinical sites, more established, and a primary teaching hospital.
UCF has the bells and whistles (technology and new building). USF will have those things in 2-3yrs. How much you'll benefit from that is up for debate. But go with your gut between the two. Either one can get you in a competitive speciality and neither one will hold you back from anything.
thank you very much. this was extremely helpful!