UChicago (Pritzker) vs. Northwestern (Feinberg)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

premedmidwest

Reaction score
answered.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Northwestern gives scholarships to many students, so $ could make this decision very easy in a few months.

Higher CoA in Streeterville it's just better than HP in regards to living situation, things to do around there, proximity to 'fun' and obviously the Lake/atmosphere.

Prestige is probably a nonfactor since you don't want to do anything competitive—even then, it's pretty much the same.

Both schools will give ample opportunity to work with underserved and/or Latino populations (both have a free clinic dedicated to latino/hispanic patients iirc) and there are plenty of communities in Chicago that I'm sure both of these med schools have ECs/programs that give you exposure.

UChicago and Northwestern, while sharing a similar mission, do seem to put different things at the forefront. UChicago is probably the #1 school in the nation for social justice, health equity, etc. while Feinberg seems to be a bit more research/academic intensive (obviously both schools are top tier in both of these aspects, but this was just the vibe I got).

Honestly a lot of options here for you and since you and your partner are 20 min away from each other, it's not like you need to attend the same school to be living together/seeing each other often. Maybe even could just find a happy medium and split a 1 bedroom closer to Feinberg if schedules permit.

Also keep in mind UChicago still has a traditional 2-year preclinical while Northwestern has a more 'new' curriculum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your acceptances! Since you mentioned dual degrees ... UChicago has top-tier graduate institutions in business (Booth), public policy (Harris), and law. There are a lot of interdisciplinary opportunities (e.g. Pritzker TECH) and all of the above institutions, plus the undergrad, are quite welcoming to med school students. As was drilled into me on my interview day, it's straightforward to take courses at any of the above. I'm sure your partner knows a lot more about it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Northwestern gives scholarships to many students, so $ could make this decision very easy in a few months.
I think UChicago is generally known to give out more money.

Congratulations on your acceptances! Since you mentioned dual degrees ... UChicago has top-tier graduate institutions in business (Booth), public policy (Harris), and law.

This isn't untrue, but seems like OP is interested in public health and public policy only? If public health, UChicago just started theirs, so you might be a guinea pig. Northwestern MD/MPH in 4 years does not sound bad at all.

But yeah, if I were you I'd just wait for the financial aid to come out and choose the cheaper one. Neither will limit you anywhere. If you're interested in public health and policy, UChicago has the bigger name in academia, but Northwestern has the better-known hospital system and more top-ranked residencies.

Last edited:
If you're interested in IM, I think UChicago is stronger in that dept. If you want something more competitive I'd go with NW. Bot tend to be good with aid I heard.

If you're interested in IM, I think UChicago is stronger in that dept. If you want something more competitive I'd go with NW. Bot tend to be good with aid I heard.
That’s totally untrue. their IM’s are on the same level.

Status
Not open for further replies.