UChicago Pritzker vs UNC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pcm810

Reaction score
UNC (MSTP)
Pros
  • Closer to home (4 hour compared to 11 hour drive)
  • research triangle is a nice area with good weather
  • people seemed very bubbly and happy there
  • more connections to industry

Cons
  • require in person attendance daily
  • research triangle is relatively small (I prefer bigger cities)
  • not as much research I am interested in

Pritzker (MSTP)
Pros
  • Better research fit
  • I love the city
  • Felt that I clicked with other prospective students
  • very flexible, self directed curriculum

Cons
  • Hyde park has relatively few things, need to take the train to downtown
  • Safety
  • Further from home and support
  • Had to leave revisit early and didn't get to talk with a ton of current students, so unsure how their community actually compares to other schools I visited

Summary: I think the most important factors for me are location and culture. I love cities, but also prefer to be able to see family once a month. Would appreciate anyone's two cents on how happy/safe students actually are at Pritzker.

Members don't see this ad.

I have several friends at Pritzker and was strongly considering it myself, they are happy (as much as a MD and/or PhD student can be, lol) and safe.

But given your pros/cons, I think you should focus more on research fit because it seems like you'd be happy at either school. I vote for UChicago.

Reactions: 1 user
I have several friends at Pritzker and was strongly considering it myself, they are happy (as much as a MD and/or PhD student can be, lol) and safe.

But given your pros/cons, I think you should focus more on research fit because it seems like you'd be happy at either school. I vote for UChicago.
Was strongly considering? what has detterred you from uchicago?

Nothing deterred me lol, it was a very personal choice that led me to a different school instead.

The biggest downside for me is the weather, but that's how I feel about all of the North lol

Also, my current school is stronger in the area of research I chose.

Reactions: 1 users