UChicago Pritzker vs. Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1140587

Edit: decided to take the advice and wait until spring

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone! I have been struggling to decide between these two schools recently, so I wanted to get some outside opinions. I might edit the pros/cons lists if I think of more points

UChicago
Pros:
- I have family in the area and a good support network
- Pass/fail years 1, 2, & 4; year 3 is honors/high pass/pass/fail; not sure how this changes with the new curriculum
- New preclinical curriculum mentioned on interview day (but I can’t find any info on online) is 18 months and not 2 years (I was initially reluctant to go to a school with a full 2 year preclinical)
- Excellent research integration into the curriculum through the scholarship and discovery program
- Advocacy focused with lots of free clinics to volunteer at
- Close proximity to downtown Chicago (20 min train), with tons of stuff to do
- Students seemed really relaxed and had time for hobbies (not sure how this changes with the new curriculum)
- Admissions has been super friendly and welcoming throughout the process so far, tho I know that’s their job haha (feels more genuine than at other schools)
- Campus and Hyde park are beautiful

Cons:
- My class will probably be “Guinea pigs” if the curriculum actually is changing, like they said on interview day
- Not sure about financial aid yet (and won’t know until march; I’ll negotiate then if needed)
- Cold weather and sorta unsafe at least if you go to the wrong areas
- Lower ranked, and has had a sharp downward trend in rankings across its residency programs in addition to the med school over the past decade or so; I know rank doesn’t matter that much cause it’s an amazing school, but it’s kinda weird to see this sharp trend

Vanderbilt
Pros:
- full tuition scholarship
- Higher ranked and hospital might get more interesting cases due to it being the main level 1 trauma center within a few hour radius (whereas Chicago has others like Northwestern)
- Much better weather
- Some of the research programs and institutes there align extremely well with my interests, better than at UChicago
- Pass/fail preclinical; “immersion phase” is graded (honors/hp/p/f) I think; seems similar to UChicago
- School seems really focused on student wellness and mental health

Cons:
- Would be very far away from family with no support network
- Never been to Nashville, so I don’t know what to expect
- 13 month preclinical seems intense; students were def more stressed than at UChicago
Wait for the aids from uchicago. I would pick the cheaper one. Toss up in ranking and opportunities.