Quantcast

UCI alternate list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tic112

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2002
Messages
116
Reaction score
0

Members don't see this ad.
Sorry if this is a duplicate thread, but I couldn't find it anywhere else.
I just checked my status online post-interview at UCI and found out that I am now on the alternate list. Does anyone have any info about this alternate list?
Can you get pulled off the list before May 15? Has there been much movement on this list in previous years?
 

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2003
Messages
1,017
Reaction score
0
Hey Tic112,

When were you interviewed? I interviewed early Jan and my status page did not change. Rejection pending?

tic112 said:
Sorry if this is a duplicate thread, but I couldn't find it anywhere else.
I just checked my status online post-interview at UCI and found out that I am now on the alternate list. Does anyone have any info about this alternate list?
Can you get pulled off the list before May 15? Has there been much movement on this list in previous years?
 

NorCalGirl

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
178
Reaction score
0
I interviewed Dec. 14 and also noticed today that I was put on the "alternate list." Boo! :thumbdown: to UCI!
 

NorCalGirl

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
178
Reaction score
0
tic112 said:
Sorry if this is a duplicate thread, but I couldn't find it anywhere else.
I just checked my status online post-interview at UCI and found out that I am now on the alternate list. Does anyone have any info about this alternate list?
Can you get pulled off the list before May 15? Has there been much movement on this list in previous years?

My boyfriend is an MSII at UCI and was pulled off the alternate list in June. He says it seems like many of his classmates came off that list, too. So there is hope.
 

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2003
Messages
1,017
Reaction score
0
Why are highly-qualified candidates being placed on the alternate list? IS the class at UCI full, thus, those who interviewed after december go straight on to the alternate list?
 

cammy1313

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
498
Reaction score
0
Hey tic112, I interviewed on 12/6 also and was put on the alternate list on 12/20....they didn't waste any time sending me to the hold pile :( This is my number one choice so I'm pretty disappointed. Any tips on how to get in off the list?
 

hotchicalica

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2004
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
im not sure how much this affected my application, but after my interview i had the volunteer coordinator of the place ive volunteered at the past few years send an additional letter of recommendation to the admissions office. it was a very nice letter and has been a pretty significant experience for me. if i remember correctly, the dean of admissions suggested that we do this for any significant activity. in addition, i sent in an update letter restating my interest in the school and listing my most current grades. i heard back at the end of january after an interview around 12/15. i hope this helps. good luck!!!
 

pdcheung

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2004
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Looks like today is the "being put on UCI's alternate list day." Interviewed 12/13 and put on the alternate list on 2/4 as well.
 

Code Brown

Low man on the totem pole
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2004
Messages
1,111
Reaction score
0
sdnstud said:
Why are highly-qualified candidates being placed on the alternate list? IS the class at UCI full, thus, those who interviewed after december go straight on to the alternate list?

Welcome to the club. The majority of people who interview get put on the alternate list so I wouldn't stress. From what I've heard, UCI is one of those schools that doesn't really start putting their class together until after they have interviewed everyone.
 

Haybrant

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2004
Messages
1,942
Reaction score
543
hey guys; i intereviewed on 3/1 and was accepted about 3 wks after. Ive withdrawn my acceptance which opens up a spot; best of luck for you waiting; uci is a cool place
 
Members don't see this ad :)

docinthemaking

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2004
Messages
149
Reaction score
0
Haybrant said:
hey guys; i intereviewed on 3/1 and was accepted about 3 wks after. Ive withdrawn my acceptance which opens up a spot; best of luck for you waiting; uci is a cool place

Same here. I had a really tough time deciding but I withdrew from UCI last night. Hopefully one of you SDNers will get the spot.
 

smartievan

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
thx guys for withdrawing! I'm here waiting for the spot :) Cross your fingers! ;)
 

synapse

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2004
Messages
317
Reaction score
0
bumpn

i added the n for NOW!!!
 

cetjaf

New Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 17, 2005
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Ive been waiting for UCI since my interview in october got waitlisted in november. about 75% of UCIs class last year came off the waitlist after the 15th of may so stick in there everyone, and people who know they wont go withdraw quick please for all the rest of us. Hope to see the rest of you at UCI
 

pdcheung

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2004
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Hey guys, I know we're "competing" here to get off the waitlist, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest what to do to increase my chances of getting off the alternate list. I've been emailing them updates on my application and grades. I'll look into getting another letter of rec. But should I be physically calling them and showing interest? I can tell the admissions office people get annoyed when people call too much but I also know of an instance where someone (my cousin) could have got in Harvard if she called them. :confused:
 

cammy1313

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
498
Reaction score
0
pdcheung said:
Hey guys, I know we're "competing" here to get off the waitlist, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest what to do to increase my chances of getting off the alternate list. I've been emailing them updates on my application and grades. I'll look into getting another letter of rec. But should I be physically calling them and showing interest? I can tell the admissions office people get annoyed when people call too much but I also know of an instance where someone (my cousin) could have got in Harvard if she called them. :confused:

You know, it's really whatever you feel comfortable with. If your peace of mind requires a phone call here and there I say go for it.

I REALLY hope we all hear something by the end of the month. I'd like to find a place to live before I go traveling for a month. Otherwise I'll only have one week to get my a$$ in gear! The neurotic pragmatist in me is praying very hard for an "early" acceptance :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
 

smartievan

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
I haven't called because I didn't want to annoy them....but if it gets later in June and I haven't heard...then I definitely will. I feel that I've already sent them all the updates about myself, and if I call now all I'll be able to say is "oH can I make sure I have everything completed?" and "what else can I do?".


Where are you guys scheduled to go to now if you don't get off the waitlist? I am heading to Rochester, NY. :)
 

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2003
Messages
1,017
Reaction score
0
Hey smartievan, I'm glad you chose to hold your Rochester acceptance. It is definitely the logical choice in your case. :thumbup:

I will be heading to Rush in Chicago if I don't get off the alternate list.

smartievan said:
I haven't called because I didn't want to annoy them....but if it gets later in June and I haven't heard...then I definitely will. I feel that I've already sent them all the updates about myself, and if I call now all I'll be able to say is "oH can I make sure I have everything completed?" and "what else can I do?".


Where are you guys scheduled to go to now if you don't get off the waitlist? I am heading to Rochester, NY. :)
 

cammy1313

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
498
Reaction score
0
smartievan said:
Where are you guys scheduled to go to now if you don't get off the waitlist? I am heading to Rochester, NY. :)

Boston U has my 500 bucks so it's back to New England for me :cool:
 

traveladdict

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
I'll be headed to Case Western if I don't go to Irvine. However, I'm strongly considering going to Case even if I do get accepted at UCI. For some reason, Cleveland's starting to look more appealing to me than southern CA.
 
Members don't see this ad :)

love2bbruin

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
smartievan said:
I haven't called because I didn't want to annoy them....but if it gets later in June and I haven't heard...then I definitely will. I feel that I've already sent them all the updates about myself, and if I call now all I'll be able to say is "oH can I make sure I have everything completed?" and "what else can I do?".


Where are you guys scheduled to go to now if you don't get off the waitlist? I am heading to Rochester, NY. :)


hey Van, what's about Oregon? any luck there ?
 

Crete

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
177
Reaction score
0
smartievan said:
I haven't called because I didn't want to annoy them....but if it gets later in June and I haven't heard...then I definitely will. I feel that I've already sent them all the updates about myself, and if I call now all I'll be able to say is "oH can I make sure I have everything completed?" and "what else can I do?".


Where are you guys scheduled to go to now if you don't get off the waitlist? I am heading to Rochester, NY. :)

Don't worry about annoying them, this will just hold you back.
 

smartievan

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Hi sdnstud, yeah I felt like Rochester was a better choice as well, and the financial aid package there was A LOT better than AE.

Love2bbruin-I'm still waitlisted at OHSU, ranked #105, haha. So that means I'm not getting off there for sure. However, I wasn't going to go there anyhow after getting Rochester's Fin Aid package.

Thx Crete for the advice. I will see what I can say to them and will try to call them soon.

I wonder when the waitlist will start moving...I know of a few people personally who withdrew recently, so I'm hoping the list will move soon! Good Luck guys!!! :rolleyes:
 

Haybrant

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2004
Messages
1,942
Reaction score
543
Crete said:
Don't worry about annoying them, this will just hold you back.

agreed; med application time is no time to be timid - at any point in the process
 

love2bbruin

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
smartievan said:
Love2bbruin-I'm still waitlisted at OHSU, ranked #105, haha. So that means I'm not getting off there for sure. However, I wasn't going to go there anyhow after getting Rochester's Fin Aid package.


Good luck to you for UCI then...hoping good news is coming your way! Keep me updated! Where will your bf go ? UCLA ?
 

NorCalGirl

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
178
Reaction score
0
Hey guys,

I got the call from Dr. Peterson today offering me a spot at UCI. I was waitlisted back in January after interviewing in December. She knew that I was holding a spot at another UC, and she said I have a week to decide.

Good luck to everyone else waiting! :luck:
 

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2003
Messages
1,017
Reaction score
0
Hey NorCalGirl, are you considering UCI? Or are you set on UCSF?

I got an email from Gayle regarding my (official) placement on the alternate list. I assume everyone get this email, yea?



NorCalGirl said:
Hey guys,

I got the call from Dr. Peterson today offering me a spot at UCI. I was waitlisted back in January after interviewing in December. She knew that I was holding a spot at another UC, and she said I have a week to decide.

Good luck to everyone else waiting! :luck:
 

NorCalGirl

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
178
Reaction score
0
sdnstud said:
Hey NorCalGirl, are you considering UCI? Or are you set on UCSF?

I got an email from Gayle regarding my (official) placement on the alternate list. I assume everyone get this email, yea?

I think I'm pretty set on UCSF. There are some personal reasons that would make me think otherwise, but I think I know where I'm going.

I hope one of you gets that spot at UCI!
 

smartievan

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Congrats NorCalGirl! :) You have 2 great schools to decide from, but let us know if you're going to withdraw from Irvine!

Sdnstud, I also got the email about the alternate list. I was wondering if everyone who is waitlisted gets the email or did they do some initial cuts?
 

doozenberg

Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2002
Messages
126
Reaction score
0
smartievan said:
Congrats NorCalGirl! :) You have 2 great schools to decide from, but let us know if you're going to withdraw from Irvine!

Sdnstud, I also got the email about the alternate list. I was wondering if everyone who is waitlisted gets the email or did they do some initial cuts?

i got that email today as well and was wondering the same thing. right now i can only dream of the day when i get that glorious phone call and i transform from alternate to admit. wallowing in waitlist purgatory sucks ass.
 
Members don't see this ad :)

synapse

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2004
Messages
317
Reaction score
0
i got that email too. so what does it mean???
are they rejecting anybody or is everyone placed on that list?

does anyone know if the "alternate list" is ranked?
 

smartievan

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
I know the alternate list isn't ranked for sure. Good Luck guys! ;)
 

qinnu

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2003
Messages
70
Reaction score
0
I am another one on the alternate list. Interviewed last October and was on the list since then.

Does anyone has any idea about how big this alternate list is? I just want to have an idea about our chances.

Thanks,

A proud mom of a 9 week old baby girl
 

synapse

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2004
Messages
317
Reaction score
0
qinnu said:
I am another one on the alternate list. Interviewed last October and was on the list since then.

Does anyone has any idea about how big this alternate list is? I just want to have an idea about our chances.

Thanks,

A proud mom of a 9 week old baby girl

:) congratulations!!!!! :)
 

synapse

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2004
Messages
317
Reaction score
0
doesn't seem like anyone got rejected...

i wonder if everyone was automatically placed on this list
 

cammy1313

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
498
Reaction score
0
So now that we're "officially" on the alternate list, when should we start harrassing the office for updates? I'm REALLY hoping there's some significant movement by the end of the month.
 

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2003
Messages
1,017
Reaction score
0
Last night, I spent a long time reading UCI alternate list movement threads from previous years. Historically, applicants are officially placed on the alternate list the week following May 15th (which is the case this year). If history serves us well, there will be some movement next week (one week after the alternate list email). A second batch of acceptance is usually granted early June (first week of June) and then another batch of acceptance late June. There have been some movement in July in previous years, but not many.

Good luck everyone. :thumbup:

cammy1313 said:
So now that we're "officially" on the alternate list, when should we start harrassing the office for updates? I'm REALLY hoping there's some significant movement by the end of the month.
 

scrappysurfer

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Messages
264
Reaction score
0
cammy1313 said:
Hey tic112, I interviewed on 12/6 also and was put on the alternate list on 12/20....they didn't waste any time sending me to the hold pile :( This is my number one choice so I'm pretty disappointed. Any tips on how to get in off the list?

Hey Cammy

At my interview, Dr Peterson made it very clear that sending letters, updates, etc are looked upon favorably. Set a new goal (she's a sports nut so maybe train for some athletic endeavor) and write about it.

Good luck
 

scrappysurfer

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Messages
264
Reaction score
0
pdcheung said:
Hey guys, I know we're "competing" here to get off the waitlist, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest what to do to increase my chances of getting off the alternate list. I've been emailing them updates on my application and grades. I'll look into getting another letter of rec. But should I be physically calling them and showing interest? I can tell the admissions office people get annoyed when people call too much but I also know of an instance where someone (my cousin) could have got in Harvard if she called them. :confused:

there is only so much you can do. the idea is to just show interest to distinguish yourself from those whose apps have been sitting there since October.

Hope to see you there.
Scrappy
 

cammy1313

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
498
Reaction score
0
scrappysurfer said:
Hey Cammy

At my interview, Dr Peterson made it very clear that sending letters, updates, etc are looked upon favorably. Set a new goal (she's a sports nut so maybe train for some athletic endeavor) and write about it.

Good luck

Thanks for the advise, scrappy. I suppose it couldn't hurt to let her know I'll be doing the Mud Run at Camp Pendelton in June, and a 5K Run for the San Diego Bloodbank the following weekend. I don't even know how I got talked into these things. I hate running! :laugh:
 

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2003
Messages
1,017
Reaction score
0
Hey guys, do you think it's too late to submit an additional letter of rec? I've already submitted 2 letters of intent/update letters. If I decide to send the LOR, can I have my writter send the letter directlyto UCI ? I went to UCB and usually send my letter through the career center. however, my career center account expired and they're asking for $20 to send one letter.
 

cammy1313

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
498
Reaction score
0
sdnstud said:
Hey guys, do you think it's too late to submit an additional letter of rec? I've already submitted 2 letters of intent/update letters. If I decide to send the LOR, can I have my writter send the letter directlyto UCI ? I went to UCB and usually send my letter through the career center. however, my career center account expired and they're asking for $20 to send one letter.

Hey sdnstud,

I submitted two additional LORs since my interview and just had my writers send them directly to the admissions office. They recieved them both and added them to my file without a problem. So definately go ahead and do that. Don't bother with any collection services and the like.
 

3baerg

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the advise, scrappy. I suppose it couldn't hurt to let her know I'll be doing the Mud Run at Camp Pendelton in June, and a 5K Run for the San Diego Bloodbank the following weekend. I don't even know how I got talked into these things. I hate running!
Heh does attending a walk count?
 

qinnu

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2003
Messages
70
Reaction score
0
sdnstud said:
Last night, I spent a long time reading UCI alternate list movement threads from previous years. Historically, applicants are officially placed on the alternate list the week following May 15th (which is the case this year). If history serves us well, there will be some movement next week (one week after the alternate list email). A second batch of acceptance is usually granted early June (first week of June) and then another batch of acceptance late June. There have been some movement in July in previous years, but not many.

Good luck everyone. :thumbup:
Great information! Thanks.
 

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2003
Messages
1,017
Reaction score
0
BUMP. We SHOULD see some alternate list movement this week and since Dr. Peterson likes to call acceptees sunday nights, I wanna BUMP this post.
 

synapse

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2004
Messages
317
Reaction score
0
sdnstud said:
BUMP. We SHOULD see some alternate list movement this week and since Mr. Peterson likes to call acceptees sunday nights, I wanna BUMP this post.

dr. peterson is female
 
Top