MPH UCI MPH Fall 2014

Started by PHya2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PHya2

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone,

I noticed that no one has started a thread for those who have accepted (or are still deciding) on University of California Irvine's MPH Program. I thought that I'd open up this forum for any discussions/questions about UCI’s MPH Program. If you've been accepted, intend to matriculate, or have any questions, this is the forum for you.


Also, if you're currently in UCI’s MPH programs, please feel free to use this forum to provide us any insight on your thoughts about the program and your experiences. I would definitely like to know more.


If you have been accepted, please feel free to indicate your concentration within the program.


I'll get started: Sociocultural Diversity and Health


Best wishes for those of you who are still waiting and many congratulations for those of you who have been accepted!

Here's a link to the new Facebook group 🙂

https://www.facebook.com/groups/508189825973777/
 
I have been accepted into the Environmental Health concentration and I have decided to go to UCI because I live in Irvine and honestly love it. Can't wait! Although, I am having trouble finding people who have gone through the program so I have no idea what to expect. My only concerns are really universal to all grad programs.....

-Is it going to be hard to get a job after graduation?
-What can I do to make myself competative in the field?

My background is in sociology (BA) but I have some basic science and math in there. Please comment if you have gone through the program. What was your experience and what kind of work were you able to find after graduation? What classes are a MUST? For those who are in my cohort....Hey there! meet you at orientation !
 
Last edited:
I've been accepted into the Epidemiology concentration and will be attending in the fall! It would definitely be nice to hear more about others' experience in the program and post-graduation.

Anyways, see you all at orientation! So excited! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I am applying to UCI for MPH Fall 2015. I had a few questions and hoping you can help
1) Do we indicate on SOPHAS which sub group of MPH we plan to apply for or can we click more than one?
2) How difficult is it to get in UCI MPH?
3) When do they inform you of the result?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks 🙂
 
uci mph grad (epi) here. thought i answer some questions. for my cohort it was skewed for the concentrations, handful environmental, a little more epi and everyone else socio. I can't speak for the difficulty of finding a job after graduation (i got a job through my internship and started right after it finished), but others found jobs or went on to more schooling.
feel free to pm questions, id be happy to answer them
 
Hi, I have some questions please!!! (lol)

So I'm about to graduate from UCI for undergrad, and I was wondering how likely you think it would be that I get into UCI's MPH program with my stats? I'm taking a year off to build my resume, but I also have no idea what to do. please help! I really want to get my MPH

cumulative GPA: 3.1 (had a rough year with Ochem and transferred out of bio to public health)
major/minor: public health and film and media studies
involved in: public health brigades, medical brigades, global health research, your basic sorority stuff, water polo club (vice president), recreation summer swim program instructor, lifeguard and first aid certified, studied abroad for public health in Bali, interned with the number one NGO in all of Bali for a summer, have 5 certificates from the Bali Institute for global Renewal
----still need to take the GRE, may also do peace corps or americorps