UCincy SMP or Chicago MAMS?

Started by bl123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bl123

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi y'all,
I just got accepted to U. Cincinnati's SMP and Chicago's MA Medical Sciences programs and I really need help deciding! I realize both programs are structured differently with UCincy's actual med school classes and Chicago's grad school classes, but for some reason, it seems like Chicago is more successful at bringing ppl back to California med schools. On the other hand, UCincy's med school classes seem to offer med schools a chance to compare performance to current med school students. I'm also applying to med schools this cycle (2010-2011). Any advice?

Much thanks! :]
 
Hi y'all,
I just got accepted to U. Cincinnati's SMP and Chicago's MA Medical Sciences programs and I really need help deciding! I realize both programs are structured differently with UCincy's actual med school classes and Chicago's grad school classes, but for some reason, it seems like Chicago is more successful at bringing ppl back to California med schools. On the other hand, UCincy's med school classes seem to offer med schools a chance to compare performance to current med school students. I'm also applying to med schools this cycle (2010-2011). Any advice?

Much thanks! :]

Cincinnati is a true SMP because you take classes with med students, and you received grades relative to your med student peers. You want to show adcoms that you can handle the rigours of med school, and the Cincinnati program will do just that. The Loyola program is not at the med school campus, and thus your grades will not be compared to actual med students.

I think you also need to come terms with the fact that a lot of us are from California, but we've been foreced to attend schools out-of-state because compared to other states, there are simply too many applicants for too few MD seats. If you truly want to go to med school, you want to choose the program that will help you get into med school, and hopefully, you'll be able to come back to California
 
I finished the MAMS program in May and enjoyed it very much. We had a number of people get into med school during the year, and I do know there was a girl from CA who got into a CA school (allopathic, but I don't know which one). If you get a 3.5+ in the program (and I think you need to have a 28+ MCAT) you are guaranteed an interview at Stritch.

Feel free to PM me if you have more in-depth questions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks MediCynical! That was helpful. :] I emailed Dr. P some questions, but out of curiosity, do you know what kind of students generally get accepted to medical school while in the program? I would imagine the MAMS program not to factor into her application at all considering AMCAS and secondaries are submitted even before the program begins.

And side question...what would you suggest for housing options?

Thanks again!
 
@Monkey44 - Nope...haven't made a decision yet. What programs are you deciding between? Maybe we can help each other with our thought processes :] good luck!
 
Cincinnati 100% unless you really want to live in Chicago. I think it gives you the best chance at getting into the medical school you want with no gap year and you actually take some classes with the med students. Loyola is a great program, but I don't think it is on the same level as Cincinnati. I know someone who finished the Loyola program a couple years ago with near perfect grades and a 34 MCAT, but still hasn't gotten in anywhere. Cincinnati will also be cheaper.
 
Also, It seems that Cincinnati really likes California student, but that might not help you get into a California medical school. You also have to realize that not many people get into California schools after finishing a SMP.
 
What are your stats? It's unlikely you'll be competitive for CA schools unless your stats are already borderline for med school.