UCLA Class of 2010!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BAM! said:
wow, Berkeley's getting no love...

Yeah, I noticed that the other day! I was accepted (but withdrew), and did MCB at UCB (2004). From what I know for sure though is that someone from Berkeley is doing UCLA MSTP from my class...

Congrats to those that are getting in!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Bluntman said:
Hmmm...you're a tricky one I see! :p I think it's Eastern European (not Russian tho) but I'm not sure exactly what state.

Oooo, you're good! I'll let you keep guessing for a while =) (or until you get bored)

brassai said:
Oooo, you're good! I'll let you keep guessing for a while =) (or until you get bored)

romanian?

Members don't see this ad :)
Elastase said:
From what I know for sure though is that someone from Berkeley is doing UCLA MSTP from my class...
Haha yea there were like 5 people from Cal at our MSTP revisit - out of only ~20 total! I thought they might corner me and beat my ass. :smuggrin:

brassai said:
Yaaay! I don't think I'll be able to narrow it down more than that tho. :oops:

Just got off the waitlist. From USC. Im so giddy. Gonna go out and party it up tonight!

Wohoo!! I'm off of the waitlist too :D .

Can someone who has already applied for housing and financial aid post the relevant links. Is there anything else that I should be filling out, turning in or worrying about?

I'm SO excited!!!

DoctorDolittle said:

Can someone who has already applied for housing and financial aid post the relevant links. Is there anything else that I should be filling out, turning in or worrying about?

I'm SO excited!!!
Hell yea. Congrats to the new recruits! Just scroll back through this thread and you'll find all of the relevant links in various places. :thumbup:

DoctorDolittle said:

I'm SO excited!!!

Congrats ... I thought I'd post some links for you here. Don't want to distract you from your GIANT margarita! ;) (And more to come! I know this place in WeHo that I used to go with my dad...)

Financial Aid
UCLA Housing
Med School Housing

Enjoy!

How long did you have to wait between when you applied for housing and when you got your offer?
I just called the phone number for off campus housing and was told there was a 6-month waiting list :confused:
I wanted to say "but I'm a med student" but I thought that would be obnoxious. I'm confused ...

prana_md said:
How long did you have to wait between when you applied for housing and when you got your offer?
I just called the phone number for off campus housing and was told there was a 6-month waiting list :confused:
I wanted to say "but I'm a med student" but I thought that would be obnoxious. I'm confused ...
First year med students are guaranteed a spot in Weyburn Terrace. This might not apply if you got in off the waitlist, however. I dunno. Anyway, I applied for housing on 4/5 and we all got our offers on 5/19.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bluntman said:
Damnit! Is that right?!

Yes, it is... there's no need to get all worked up about it ;)

Has anyone already accepted the Weyburn housing offer? I'm planning to wait until the due date to accept and make the initial payment. So I hope there's no processing delay with the payment. How does the payment system work? Do they charge your credit card or use the bruin payment account?

prana_md said:
Congrats ... I thought I'd post some links for you here. Don't want to distract you from your GIANT margarita! ;) (And more to come! I know this place in WeHo that I used to go with my dad...)

Financial Aid
UCLA Housing
Med School Housing

Enjoy!

Thanks a lot!

For financial aid, does UCLA pay the Need Access Fee or do we pay it? The website said that some schools pay for it and I'm not too familiar w/ the app. b/c none of the other schools I was accepted to required Need Access.

prana_md said:

Im still hoping for a spot in Weyburn. The waitlist thing kinda messed up the plans. Do they have a housing message board for people looking for roomates by chance?

As soon as my acceptance for UCLA goes through my lease for my UCSD housing gets killed so I need to find something ASAP... Any ideas?

StevenRF said:
Im still hoping for a spot in Weyburn. The waitlist thing kinda messed up the plans. Do they have a housing message board for people looking for roomates by chance?

As soon as my acceptance for UCLA goes through my lease for my UCSD housing gets killed so I need to find something ASAP... Any ideas?

If you're looking for non-university housing, there are postings on UCLA housing and also on the DailyBruin site. Best of luck!

Wookey said:
Has anyone already accepted the Weyburn housing offer? I'm planning to wait until the due date to accept and make the initial payment. So I hope there's no processing delay with the payment. How does the payment system work? Do they charge your credit card or use the bruin payment account?
Yea I accepted mine...You just pay it with a credit card.

StevenRF said:

Congrats StevenRF! I know UCLA was you top choice, that's awesome! :thumbup:

For those who applied for Stafford loans, who did you choose as your preferred loan lender?

When you guys / gals received the Weyburn offer, did you receive a roommate assignment?

Does everyone (including married or students with a significant other) receive a weyburn offer regardless... I guess they can choose whether or not they want to live with their other ??? or do they not send it to married students at all?

I have a story behind this :D

DoctorDolittle said:
For those who applied for Stafford loans, who did you choose as your preferred loan lender?

I'm going with Bank of America just cause I have an account there, but all my undergrad loans are with sallie mae which they dont have. Most of thema ll have 0% and EFT anyway. Any other ideas?

UCLAgirl4ever said:
When you guys / gals received the Weyburn offer, did you receive a roommate assignment?
No...I guess that comes later.

DoctorDolittle said:
I did educaid cause my undergrad loans are already with them.

anyone?

UCLAgirl4ever said:

Does everyone (including married or students with a significant other) receive a weyburn offer regardless... I guess they can choose whether or not they want to live with their other ??? or do they not send it to married students at all?

UCLAgirl4ever said:

If you don't mind not living with your husband/so (I'm guessing he doesn't live in LA), I'm sure you can get a Weyburn Terrace offer (if they aren't full). You have to apply here to do so tho. btw...what's your story? :)

StevenRF said:
I'm going with Bank of America just cause I have an account there, but all my undergrad loans are with sallie mae which they dont have. Most of thema ll have 0% and EFT anyway. Any other ideas?

I chose MedLoans. Sallie Mae is the lender for this service (I had undergrad loans from this lender). I asked someone from the financial aid office and he said just to make sure the one you pick has EFT and it will also help if you pick a lender that you already borrowed from so you won't have to fill out a new promissory note.

rosiemary said:
I chose MedLoans. Sallie Mae is the lender for this service (I had undergrad loans from this lender). I asked someone from the financial aid office and he said just to make sure the one you pick has EFT and it will also help if you pick a lender that you already borrowed from so you won't have to fill out a new promissory note.

Awesome, thanks for the info :thumbup:

BTW, I cant find my federal tax copies :mad: for financial aid, but I only made like 6g's all year so I got a full refund. Any ideas what to do. Send a copy of my W-2?

StevenRF said:
Awesome, thanks for the info :thumbup:

BTW, I cant find my federal tax copies :mad: for financial aid, but I only made like 6g's all year so I got a full refund. Any ideas what to do. Send a copy of my W-2?

You can request the IRS to send a copy.

Does anyone know when we are supposed to receive our FANs?

Anyone know if UCLA is a prick for throwing parties at Weyburn?

ShockaKlan said:
Anyone know if UCLA is a prick for throwing parties at Weyburn?
Just like any other apartment complex, it's gonna totally depend on your neighbors. As any of you guys who have lived in wood-framed apartment complexes like this know, however, the walls/floor are thin and sound carries well. But on the bright side...it definitely won't be like undergrad where there were RAs/security specifically tasked with preventing parties.

I for one am hopeful tho, since our "neighbors" will probably be the ones attending.

DrCarebear said:
Does anyone know when we are supposed to receive our FANs?

Did you guys receive any preliminary financial aid information ... how much you were eligible to borrow for Stafford Loans, grants/scholarships maybe, etc.? I went online to fill out the application but it seems like I'd need to make sure they approved me for the loans before I can tell them how much I want to borrow. I tried calling the office but the lady that takes care of first years wasn't there. I suppose I can swing by the office and ask in person, but I was just wandering how long you guys waited before you heard from them.

brassai said:
Did you guys receive any preliminary financial aid information ... how much you were eligible to borrow for Stafford Loans, grants/scholarships maybe, etc.? I went online to fill out the application but it seems like I'd need to make sure they approved me for the loans before I can tell them how much I want to borrow. I tried calling the office but the lady that takes care of first years wasn't there. I suppose I can swing by the office and ask in person, but I was just wandering how long you guys waited before you heard from them.

I got an email with prelim fin aid info a month after I filled out the online finaid form. You can fill that out without knowing exactly how much you will borrow (I just put the max). I think later the finaid office is suppose to figure out how much you're eligible to borrow and you can say exactly how much when you sign off on it. I was told by the office that students will start to get finalized finaid info in mid June.

brassai said:

The max Stafford that you're allowed to borrow is 8500 subsidized and 30K unsubsidized. This can change based on your FAFSA expected contribution, and any other scholarships or loans you're getting. The great thing is about UCLA (if you're instate) is that this actually comes close to covering your costs!

Bluntman said:
Just like any other apartment complex, it's gonna totally depend on your neighbors. As any of you guys who have lived in wood-framed apartment complexes like this know, however, the walls/floor are thin and sound carries well. But on the bright side...it definitely won't be like undergrad where there were RAs/security specifically tasked with preventing parties.

I for one am hopeful tho, since our "neighbors" will probably be the ones attending.

amen to that!

soooo ... after that Weyburn Terrace party, I may need a trip to see a health care professional. what do y'all (esp. UCLAstudent) know about med student health care? I just got my letter about immunizations, which kind of implied that we're going to the student health center ... ???

prana_md said:
soooo ... after that Weyburn Terrace party, I may need a trip to see a health care professional. what do y'all (esp. UCLAstudent) know about med student health care? I just got my letter about immunizations, which kind of implied that we're going to the student health center ... ???

I got that letter too. I'm going to my doctor so my insurance can cover some of it. Does anyone know if we'll be required to get health insurance from the school?

Wookey said:
I got that letter too. I'm going to my doctor so my insurance can cover some of it. Does anyone know if we'll be required to get health insurance from the school?
If it's like undergrad, they make you sign on for USHIP (an HMO) unless you can show them that you have equivalent coverage from another plan.

Was checking out the comp requirement since they give us 3 g's in our financial aid package to get a comp. Did anyone else notice that they specificially require a pentium... WTF? Word on the street is that AMD is going to drop prices 30-50% once the conroes come out in july. Getting a pentium is going to be a waste since the conroes will be overpriced on initial distribution.

StevenRF said:
Was checking out the comp requirement since they give us 3 g's in our financial aid package to get a comp. Did anyone else notice that they specificially require a pentium... WTF? Word on the street is that AMD is going to drop prices 30-50% once the conroes come out in july. Getting a pentium is going to be a waste since the conroes will be overpriced on initial distribution.
The comp requirement is BS...intel or amd should be fine. Hell, I got a macbook pro. AMD is only going to drop prices because Intel announced they were going to drop prices first. Both these price-drops will be towards the end of July when intel presents Core 2 Duo (Conroe for desktops, Merom for laptops). But who knows how long it'll take after that for those price-drops to be reflected in actual retail prices of full computers. Same goes for guessing how long after that announcement it'll take before we can actually get our hands on computers with these next-gen chips (Conroes/Meroms or their AMD peers) inside.

Since I don't even have a laptop right now, and I'll need one in 2 weeks when I start my lab rotation, it was a no-brainer for me to get a Core duo macbook pro right now. For you guys, I'd say it is more of a toss up...do you wait for a Merom/next-gen-AMD computer this fall (def won't get it before school starts...maybe late august at the earliest, possibly later), or do you just grab a current-gen computer now. Tough call, and it probably depends on your current computing situation. If you've got a decent laptop that can hold you over, then it makes sense to wait. But if you don't, then you might as well get a core duo laptop now...cause I'm sure we're going to be doing lots of computer **** from day 1.

OK guys,

I have about a 4 or 5 day break (last week of July) where I can take an uber-quick vacation. I want sunny beach, I want fun, I want a complete lack of tourists or pretty close, I want water, o and I want cheap too, haha... I don't want to need a vacation from my vacation. Damn Im picky...

As many of you are from socal and I can't stray too far, Im sure someone knows somewhere...

Anyway, suggestions....?

DrBorisCA said:
OK guys,

I have about a 4 or 5 day break (last week of July) where I can take an uber-quick vacation. I want sunny beach, I want fun, I want a complete lack of tourists or pretty close, I want water, o and I want cheap too, haha... I don't want to need a vacation from my vacation. Damn Im picky...

As many of you are from socal and I can't stray too far, Im sure someone knows somewhere...

Anyway, suggestions....?

You can probably beach bum it in huntington. They have some spots for tents around there somewhere. Get some firewood, some grub, and a surfboard. Santa Barbara might work too. Might I suggest pineapple, cocanuts, and a machete from a surplus store.

Edit: Any people that got off the waitlist been offered anything in Weyburn yet? I can't find a phone number to call, just that crappy ASK service.

El Capitan State Beach up north of Santa Barbara. You'll be sharing the the campground, but you can strike out on your own during the day and hit miles of untouched beach.

El Capitan

Enjoy.

StevenRF said:
Question, when did you get off the waitlist and when did you apply for housing. I'm still SOL.

I'm a Drew student, so my schedule may be a little different. I was accepted May 11 and probably got my housing app in by the 20th?